How do I swap out Low Res Proxy files for Hires?Please help!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AnthonySneed

How do I swap out Low Res Proxy files for Hires?Please help!

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 5:54 pm

I’m coloring a project in davinci from a session from final cut 7 ( :? ) and trying to figure out how to swap out a low res proxy clip for the hi res version?

Normally in a program like Premiere Pro you simply go to the media section, right click on the clip, and choose Replace Media, and the clips swap out.

On Davinci my most logical guess to solve this problem is to take the hi res clips, rename them in another folder to match the proxy names :cry: then relink that folder?
anthonysneed.film

Frank Wylie

Re: How do I swap out Low Res Proxy files for Hires?Please h

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Why are you guessing? There is a 1200+ page manual written just for you within Resolve.

Try looking under the "Help" menu; it is in PDF form.
Frank Wylie

Jed Mitchell

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Relinking generally happens by timecode and metadata in Resolve, filename is usually the last thing Resolve cares about (unless you force it to match).

Generally what I do is import the Hi Res footage to it's own bin, then in my timelines disable Conform Lock for the clips I want to swap out, then from the bin right click on your timeline and select "Reconform from Bins." Just point the re-conform to the bins where your high res media is and it will usually figure it out for you. Depending on how you set up your project you might have to change some scale interpretations, but that's usually it for me.

If your footage doesn't have timecode or metadata you're going to have a bad time, but you can also Relink to different footage on the drive from the Media Pool, but that's kind of an awkward workflow for Resolve.

Edit: I should also say, unless I'm conforming another editor's project, I just don't use proxy media in Resolve. And if you're reading big files off a slower drive, source caching is your friend :)
"It's amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it."

Systems:
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x RTX Titan | 960Pro cache disk
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x 2080 Ti | 660p cache disk

Marc Wielage

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 10:00 pm

If you're brave, another way to do it is the following:

1) save a copy of the session (just in case)

2) make sure "Automatically Conform Missing Clips Added to Media Pool" is checked in Project Settings -> General Options

3) highlight all the proxy clips on the Media Page and delete them

4) import all the high-res clips into the Media Page.

If the high-res files had the exact same file name (minus extension) as the previous files, the timelines will be fully-populated and everything will be back.

"Reconform from Bins" is a more elegant way of doing this function, particularly since many options have been added in order to limit what specific clips are replaced with.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

AnthonySneed

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Frank Wylie wrote:Why are you guessing? There is a 1200+ page manual written just for you within Resolve.

Try looking under the "Help" menu; it is in PDF form.

Next time you comment I think instead of being passive aggressive you should just not say anything. I think “check the manual” or “google it” is a given in 2018. I have done these things but it doesn’t address my specific issue so I turn to the forum hoping for help.
anthonysneed.film

AnthonySneed

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Jed Mitchell wrote:
If your footage doesn't have timecode or metadata you're going to have a bad time, but you can also Relink to different footage on the drive from the Media Pool, but that's kind of an awkward workflow for Resolve.

Edit: I should also say, unless I'm conforming another editor's project, I just don't use proxy media in Resolve. And if you're reading big files off a slower drive, source caching is your friend :)

My footage DOESNT have time code so I do want to relink/replace the proxy in the media pool if that’s possible?

It’s a feature length doc so fortunately the footage turns up more than once
anthonysneed.film

AnthonySneed

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 11:41 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:If you're brave, another way to do it is the following:

1) save a copy of the session (just in case)

2) make sure "Automatically Conform Missing Clips Added to Media Pool" is checked in Project Settings -> General Options

3) highlight all the proxy clips on the Media Page and delete them

4) import all the high-res clips into the Media Page.

If the high-res files had the exact same file name (minus extension) as the previous files, the timelines will be fully-populated and everything will be back.

"Reconform from Bins" is a more elegant way of doing this function, particularly since many options have been added in order to limit what specific clips are replaced with.

Thank you I’ll try this
anthonysneed.film

Julian van Mil

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 12:59 am

try this;

1- right click on existing timeline in bin on edit page and export as 'xml' or 'aaf'
2- save/backup and create a new blank project
3- file>import xml, aaf
4- on settings for import choose 'relink to camera raw' (something like that) or 'ignore file extension'
5- it'll prompt you for file source location, point it to your HiRes folder that doesn't contain your proxies.

just another workflow.
Studio Feather
www.studiofeather.com

AnthonySneed

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 1:45 am

Julian van Mil wrote:try this;

1- right click on existing timeline in bin on edit page and export as 'xml' or 'aaf'
2- save/backup and create a new blank project
3- file>import xml, aaf
4- on settings for import choose 'relink to camera raw' (something like that) or 'ignore file extension'
5- it'll prompt you for file source location, point it to your HiRes folder that doesn't contain your proxies.

just another workflow.

that sounds great thank you!
anthonysneed.film

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 1:49 am

AnthonySneed wrote:
Jed Mitchell wrote:

My footage DOESNT have time code so I do want to relink/replace the proxy in the media pool if that’s possible?

The manual is always a good suggestion.

If your material does not have timecode (or all the clips start from 0, or proxy and hires timecode Doreen not match) you're in for a lot of pain.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

AnthonySneed

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 4:50 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
AnthonySneed wrote:
Jed Mitchell wrote:

The manual is always a good suggestion.

If your material does not have timecode (or all the clips start from 0, or proxy and hires timecode Doreen not match) you're in for a lot of pain.

I'm feeling the pain now. For instance, I figured how to swap out the clips by keeping the hi res name the same as the proxy, and changing the folder, but in the media pool, it still says the resolution is 1920x1080 instead of UHD which is what the Hi res is. I don't understand this at all. Pain commencing...
anthonysneed.film

Return to DaVinci Resolve