Trouble connecting a Lilliput to a BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

petegoddard

Trouble connecting a Lilliput to a BMCC

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi all. Sorry if this has been answered on here by someone else at some point, but I'm having trouble connecting my BMCC to a 668GL-70NP/H/Y Lilliput monitor. I've shot a short video showing my setup and what cables etc that I'm using, but I still can't get a signal into the monitor. Any help would be most appreciated.

Denny Smith

Re: Trouble connecting a Lilliput to a BMCC

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 10:45 pm

If this is the Monitor with analog inputs and an HDMI, then you are not going to get it to work with the BMCC, which can only outout a 1080p24-30 signal. The Lilliput can only deal with a 1080i signal, which the BMCC will not output. You can try to set the camera to 720p60 andsee if that works.

Also, what are you using to adapt the monitor’s HDMI input with the BMCC’s SDI output?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

petegoddard

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi Denny, many thanks for the reply. After doing some searching I have read on an old post on here that the Lilliput 668GL isn't compatible with the BMCC. Probably for the same reasons as you've just stated. Just tried testing what you suggested, but none of the settings generate an image on the screen. For connecting it to the camera I bought a HDMI to SDI converter. Not sure of the brand name, as it was from ebay and has no brand name on it, but it's black with blue (and a little bit of white) writing on and I've seen it being used for connecting monitors to the BMCC in a few youtube videos. As I thought that the converter box itself was at fault, I ordered a different one, this time from black magic. I also ordered a new SDI cable from them too, in case it was the cable. Having now realised that the monitor simply isn't compatible I did a bit more research and ordered a Feelworld FW-759 monitor, which is meant to work well with the camera. Hopefully this should all work well now. Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my message. Very much appreciated.

petegoddard

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 9:44 pm

P.s when shooting 2.5k raw, would the monitor need to be more than that to play back? I.e should I be getting a 4k one? The new one I've ordered only does up to 1080p. Would that fail to playback a 2.5k image? Obviously it wouldn't show it in 2.5k, but would it be able to down scale to 1080p or will it just not show anything at all?

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 1:16 am

The BMCC can only output a 1080p24-30 signal, even when recording raw 2.5K. The SDI out is limited to HD resolution only.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 8:55 am

If I remember well, it did change to PsF (recognized as interlace) when switching overlays either on or off.
Not sure, has been a while that I used one.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

petegoddard

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Many thanks for the help and info guys. I did try switching the SDI overlays off, but still no picture. It's ok though, as I've ordered that new feelworld monitor and, checking the specs, that one does accept 1080p. So hopefully all will be good once it arrives (if it isn't, I'll mention it.) I've also ordered the SDI to HDMI converter from blackmagic and a new SDI cable, so hopefully these will work well too (I have heard that the converter can cut out sometimes though, and that the one I currently have does have a little bit of latency on. I'll just have a play about with both of them to see which one works best and keep one as a spare.) I do have another question regarding the audio on the BMCC and using the Saramonic BMCC-A01 device, but I'll keep that for a new thread. Thanks again to everyone who replied to my question.

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Uli, the Production 4K Camera had the PsF outputmwith overlays off. I do not think the BMCC had this feature.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography