Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 9 crashes when rendering H264 MOV

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ludvik Koutny

Fusion 9 crashes when rendering H264 MOV

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi,

I am getting 100% reproducible crash when trying to render out H264 mov file in any comp I try. Is there any way to fix/workaround it?

Thanks.
https://www.artstation.com/rawalanche

Uli Plank

Re: [BUG] Fusion 9 crashes when rendering H264 MOV

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 am

Did you try ffmpeg?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jon Angelo Gjetting

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 9:22 am

On which platform? works perfectly on my win10 64bit. No ffmpeg and openCL disabled.
/Jon Angelo Gjetting

mob.: +45. 2032 9223
http://www.GjettingCreative.com

twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Gjetting
LinkedIn:http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonangelogjetting

Ludvik Koutny

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 10:07 am

Uli Plank wrote:Did you try ffmpeg?

How?

Also, on other workstation, it works fine, without need of installing some third party codec.

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Installation of ffmpeg has been discussed here before.

But if another installation works well, I'd suppose something is screwed up in that system. I have one system here too that works with Fusion 8 and Fusion 9 doesn't even start.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ludvik Koutny

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Installation of ffmpeg has been discussed here before.

But if another installation works well, I'd suppose something is screwed up in that system. I have one system here too that works with Fusion 8 and Fusion 9 doesn't even start.

I have looked up installation of ffmpeg, installed it, verified it is installed correctly and tried again. Still same - h264 mov rendering results in immediate crash.

Ludvik Koutny

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Reverting to 8.2.1 works like a charm. I guess we'll have to give Fusion 9 a few months to ripen.

Adelson Munhoz

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm

I do not have any problem in rendering h264 MOV in Windows 10 but here goes some information that can be useful:

1 - FFMpeg is not used in the savers, just in the loaders. The goal is to broad the file types Fusion can open (like MKV and WMV)

2 - There have been reports that h264 codec has issues in Windows 7. I do not know if it's your case.

3 - Fusion 8 needs Quicktime installed. Fusion 9 has its own Quicktime encoder. Probably this is the reason of the different behavior.

4 - Fusion 9.01 came with several changes in the saver nodes. Maybe the problem is fixed now.

Ludvik Koutny

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 am

Hello,

I would like to report that now, 4 months later since reporting this, I still get immediate crash to desktop when trying to render H264 .mov file with Fusion 9.0.2. I still can not use Fusion 9 and have to stay at version 8 because of this. Very unfortunate.

Ludvik Koutny

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello,

it has been now half a year since I reported this, yet the latest Fusion 9 version is still 9.0.2 and I still get crash to desktop 100% of the times when I try to render H264 MOV. This should definitely be addressed.

Sander de Regt

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Have you tried turning off Open CL? This is the most common cause for crashing to the desktop in 9.02
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Ludvik Koutny

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 11:48 am

Sander de Regt wrote:Have you tried turning off Open CL? This is the most common cause for crashing to the desktop in 9.02

Just tried, did not help. Trying to render H264 mov still crashes to desktop immediately. Also, OpenCL tools work just fine for me, without any crashes.

Adelson Munhoz

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi Ludvik,

can you post more details of your system? OS, Processor, Memory, GPU, etc.?

A screenshot or a copy-paste of an example of a composition with your render settings can be useful too.

Jackreynolds

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Adding on to this because I have noticed a pattern of H264 as well. Work without it is doing okay, however I am still experiencing massive crashes. Fusion will show 200MB of RAM used during a render, but my Mac will be run completely out of memory.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=66267

Massimo Galluzzo

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Hello, i have the same problem.
When i try to render out an image sequence (in my case it was .exr) to h264 mov, fusion instantly crashes.

Fusion version 9.0.2 build 15.

windows 10 - Version 1709 - OS build 16299.309
Processor: Inte,(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X990 @3.47GHZ
Installed ram: 24gb
GPU: 2x Nvidia Geforce 1080 Strix.

Massimo Galluzzo

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Ok after further investigation i've noticed that Fusion 9 crashes when the file resolutions is not one of the "supported" one by h264.

Searching trough the web, i've found thse numbers

854 x 480 (480p 16:9)
1280 x 720 (720p 16:9)
1920 x 1080 (1080p 16:9)
640 x 480 (480p 4:3)
1280 x 1024 (5:4)
1920 x 1440 (4:3)

These are the resolution apparently h264 codec supports. Anything else crashes Fusion 9.
If you use these resolution it works fine.

Jackreynolds

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 6:28 pm

To add on, I do render at some of the resolutions and still face crashes.

Jackreynolds

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 3:05 pm

As I've been working more through the issues, I have found something interesting.

Fusion is limited in the preferences to 70% of RAM for caching. When playing back or rendering, Fusion shows in the bottom right that it is never using more than 4000MB of RAM. However, when looking at my system monitors, it shows that almost all of the RAM on the system is used, and it continues to get eaten up as Fusion plays back or renders.

If I stop rendering or playing, RAM stops being eaten. When I close the comp however, the RAM is not released, and still shows as being fully consumed.

Not sure exactly what this means, but to me this says memory leak.

Thanks.

Adrian Niwa

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 6:36 pm

I recently tried to render out H264 in Resolve.
The resolution was 3000X1050 - so very uncommon.

Each time Resolve died. Rendering at FullHD standard resolution was fine.

So yes - seems like those programs get crashes when you render out unsupported reso.

Cheers!
Manjaro / ASROCK X399 Taichi / AMD Threadripper 1920X / RTX 2060 / 32GB RAM DDR-4 / 4 X SSD drive / Fusion Studio / Resolve Studio
www.inox.vision

Ludvik Koutny

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 10:10 am

Adelson Munhoz wrote:Hi Ludvik,

can you post more details of your system? OS, Processor, Memory, GPU, etc.?

A screenshot or a copy-paste of an example of a composition with your render settings can be useful too.

Hi, sorry for late response, I am not checking these forums often:

My specs are:
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
i7 5930k (rendering set only to single thread to avoid issues)
64GB DDR4 RAM
GTX1080Ti with latest nVidia drivers

Here's a screenshot of one of the compositions, however it is very important to note that crashes seem to be completely unrelated to the node graph contents. Only common factor in all of the crashes is presence of a saver node with output format set to H264 mov. For example, it crashes in this super simple comp I use to just dump JPG previz sequences into movs:
movs.PNG
movs.PNG (119.92 KiB) Viewed 12948 times

thoralf

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 12:11 pm

I had this similar issue.

Try deleting the preferences file and also check the path you are trying to save.

Ludvik Koutny

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 9:23 am

thoralf wrote:I had this similar issue.

Try deleting the preferences file and also check the path you are trying to save.

I did a complete reinstall of Fusion from scratch, with all the preferences wiped clean everywhere. Did not help. In fact I did a complete Windows reinstall as I bought a new NVME SSD drive, and the issue was still happening even after the fresh Windows reinstall. That made me certain it has nothing to do with for example QuickTime player codecs.

Sander de Regt

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 9:27 am

What happens if you render only 1 single mov? Does it still crash?
Because in your example there are a lot of savers.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Ludvik Koutny

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 5:55 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:What happens if you render only 1 single mov? Does it still crash?
Because in your example there are a lot of savers.

Yes, that was just an example of a simple comp where it crashes. I can literally get it to crash with just a single loader and a single saver in fresh new comp.

Honestly, people repeatedly asking about different conditions is getting a bit old. There is one common factor that causes ANY comp to crash REGARDLESS of it's contents, setup or complexity. That common factor is a saver that is set up to export H264 mov. That is it.

No, amount of savers does not matter.
No, there are no other specific nodes causing the crash.
No, Fusion 8 does not crash in H264 export.
Yes, Fusion 9 crashes in 100% of the cases.
Yes, I do have latest GPU drivers.
Yes, I did try to install ffMPEG codecs.
Yes, I did try to install quicktime.
Yes, I did try to uninstall Fusion 9, remove all the saved preferences and reinstall it from scratch.
Yes, I did test it on another computer, still crashes.
Yes, I even did try it after a fresh Windows reinstall.
Yes, I did try to set rendering to just one thread.
Yes, I did try to disable OpenCL.
Yes, I did try to other codecs than H264 and none of them crash.
etc...

Bryan Ray

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 7:13 pm

The reason for all the questions is because there is evidently something wrong in your configuration, or you're doing something that's enough of a corner case that most of us don't encounter it. We need to understand what the difference is between what you do and what we do before we can put a finger on what causes the crash.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (40 KiB) Viewed 12795 times

As you can see, I can render h.264 just fine. If I try to render an unsupported format (1920x1081, for instance), I get an error in the console: Bad file descriptor.

I can't make Fusion crash just by rendering h.264. Others who are trying to help you also cannot do it. So the best we can do is to theorize and ask questions to try to disprove the theories.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Ludvik Koutny

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 6:37 am

Bryan Ray wrote:The reason for all the questions is because there is evidently something wrong in your configuration, or you're doing something that's enough of a corner case that most of us don't encounter it. We need to understand what the difference is between what you do and what we do before we can put a finger on what causes the crash.

Untitled.png

As you can see, I can render h.264 just fine. If I try to render an unsupported format (1920x1081, for instance), I get an error in the console: Bad file descriptor.

I can't make Fusion crash just by rendering h.264. Others who are trying to help you also cannot do it. So the best we can do is to theorize and ask questions to try to disprove the theories.

Yes, I get that, but if I explicitly state several times in the thread that my crash is 100% reproducible regardless of what the contents of the comp are, and that it crashes even with just a single saver, is it really worth asking me again if it crashes with just a single saver?

As for the configuration, my bet goes on combination of high end GeForce GPU with newer drivers. That's what seems to be common across all the people experiencing crashes I know of. In my case, it's GTX1080Ti with latest drivers.

Sander de Regt

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 7:55 am

Yes, I get that, but if I explicitly state several times in the thread that my crash is 100% reproducible regardless of what the contents of the comp are, and that it crashes even with just a single saver

Sorry, but we're only trying to help you. Before I asked the question about the single saver, you hadn't mentioned that specifically. The only example you gave was with a dozen loaders/savers which is hardly a single one (or a simple comp I/O wise). You state below that you hardly visit this forum, but still you criticize others who do come here all the time and are just trying to triage the situation.
It's *my* time that I'm spending on *your* problem. Sure all those questions can be annoying but since we can't reproduce it on our systems, you should contact support directly. That's what they're here for and maybe they can find the very rare situation that causes this.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Ludvik Koutny

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 8:43 am

Sander de Regt wrote:
Yes, I get that, but if I explicitly state several times in the thread that my crash is 100% reproducible regardless of what the contents of the comp are, and that it crashes even with just a single saver

Sorry, but we're only trying to help you. Before I asked the question about the single saver, you hadn't mentioned that specifically. The only example you gave was with a dozen loaders/savers which is hardly a single one (or a simple comp I/O wise). You state below that you hardly visit this forum, but still you criticize others who do come here all the time and are just trying to triage the situation.
It's *my* time that I'm spending on *your* problem. Sure all those questions can be annoying but since we can't reproduce it on our systems, you should contact support directly. That's what they're here for and maybe they can find the very rare situation that causes this.

Well the reason I gut frustrated was that I've provided a lot of information about the issue, for example that it crashes in 100% of the cases and contents of the comp do not have any effect on it. I'd assume that would include also the amount of savers.

I also help other people on many other forums, but I personally understand that someone, who's struggling with some issue for a while already, and provides reasonably detailed description of the issue, will probably not be happy about answering same or similar questions all over again, so I usually take a time to read the original post, then read replies under it, and then think about the issue for a moment before I start shooting from the hip.

michael vorberg

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 10:05 am

as it seems that no one else can reproduce this behavior leads to the conclusion there is something strange on you system

does it only crash with a loader->saver or also if you try to render a fastnoise or plasma into a h264?

it tried now several combination on my system (win10 pro, fusion free) and non made fusion crash.

i tried different resolutions with different bit depth, different settings in the h264 panel.

Massimo Galluzzo

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 2:58 pm

michael vorberg wrote:as it seems that no one else can reproduce this behavior leads to the conclusion there is something strange on you system

does it only crash with a loader->saver or also if you try to render a fastnoise or plasma into a h264?

it tried now several combination on my system (win10 pro, fusion free) and non made fusion crash.

i tried different resolutions with different bit depth, different settings in the h264 panel.

To be honest its not just his problem. It crashes a lot with different scenarios on my machine too.
Sometimes even using the aforementioned h264 output i posted before.
Its just quite hard to nail down whats happening.

Ludvik Koutny

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:36 pm

I'd like to apologize to anyone who tried to help me in this threaded. I got a bit hot headed past few days and Fusion constantly crashing did not help. That, however, doesn't justify me directing anger at people trying to help me.

I am sorry.

Bryan Ray

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 8:48 pm

Thank you for that, Ludvik.

Has anyone experienced this particular crash with something other than the GTX 1080? Also, which driver versions is everyone using?

I'm using 2x GTX Titan X, driver 388.13 on Windows 7 Pro. No crashes.

If you've tried multiple driver versions, that data is also useful.

Also, has anyone reported this issue directly to BMD support? I am not confident that anyone in engineering reads this forum.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

tomnel

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 8:25 pm

I was getting this crash, no setting changes would fix it.
My fix was putting a resize node before the saver set to 1920x1080 and no more crash.

Ludvik Koutny

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 7:09 am

Hi,

so I can confirm this. I do not crash as soon as I use h264 supported resolution, such as 1280x720 or 1920x1080. That, however, is very constraining, since I often need to render non standard and/or non 16:9 resolutions. Fusion 8 is able to dump any resolution into h264.

chanudel

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 3:09 pm

I am seeing this same issue on my Windows 10, AMD 1700X, 16GB Ram, RX580 8GB system. I am using a standard standard resolution of 1920x1080 at 30 frames. I try outputting to mov and tries to create the move (ends up being blank) and then crashes.

JaneParker

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 10:25 am

I'm rather new to Fusion and I don't know if this will help anyone, but after several days of struggeling with the render node and having the same issues as you I just fixed it...

... by changing the the save location to my desktop. *facepalm*

It was previously set to a folder on my extern HDD. Maybe this is a stupid solution because I am stupid for not trying something like that earlier, but I'm gonna leave it here anyway in case it helps someone.

srdela

PostTue Nov 27, 2018 2:16 am

JaneParker wrote:I'm rather new to Fusion and I don't know if this will help anyone, but after several days of struggeling with the render node and having the same issues as you I just fixed it...

... by changing the the save location to my desktop. *facepalm*

It was previously set to a folder on my extern HDD. Maybe this is a stupid solution because I am stupid for not trying something like that earlier, but I'm gonna leave it here anyway in case it helps someone.

So I'm not crashing per-se. But I'm having a very similar issue on my desktop where they were exporting fine on my laptop. I'm exporting 4 Prores 422 HQ files from DNxHD footage on PC that I exported from After Effects. Initially, the exports seemed to be going fine until I went to watch the exports and realized it had only exported the first couple of seconds from each clip. From then on, the saver failed every time at frame 0. As far as I know nothing had changed.

I tried your suggestion to change the save location to my desktop. While it no longer failed at frame 0, it only gets to frame 61 or so for each clip before I get the "Bad file descriptor" again.

My system:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
64GB RAM
Titan X video card
i9 7900 processor

I just got a popup from my video card that an update is available. I'll update it and try again, but somehow highly doubt that's the issue, specially since Fusion has been all but abandoned and not seen an update in ages.

Zandercraft

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 2:27 am

Same issue with a NVIDIA GTX 1060 graphics card. Cannot find a fix to the issue at all.

Zandercraft

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 2:28 am

Nevermind. Ignore my previous post. Putting a resize in front of saver fixed the issue.

ken Turner

PostFri May 13, 2022 11:25 am

I confirm the same bug .

windows 10
Nvidia 1080 with latest drivers
( both game ready and studio version of the drivers have the same issue )

- fusion 9 and fusion 17 will only render h264 at 'standard' sizes
- non standard sizes crash 100% of the time on the first frame

my solution is to add a crop node before the final saver node in the flow
Fusion tips http://www.designimage.co.uk/category/compositing/fusion/

Return to Fusion