Teranex Mini Optical Converter

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Frakk2000

Teranex Mini Optical Converter

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi,

I want to swap some old optical mini converters we have for a better rackmounted solution.
(For 3-4 rooms, they need each 1-2 converters). I was thinking about using the Teranex Mini Optical converters, but it does not really say if this converts from SDI to optical and back? (Or at least I can use our OpenGear converters in the other end).

Is it only HDMI in to Optical?

Scott Smith

Re: Teranex Mini Optical Converter

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 pm

I have complained about this several times. They have all versions of Teranex mini converter except the most obvious and useful versions, the optical to HDSDI and vice versa. Unbelievable oversight.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Scott Smith

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 pm

If you really want rack mount, There are Open Gear setups you can do. Most Open Gear frames are 2RU, and hold 12 or so cards, but can cost around $1200 up to $2500 or so for the frame. AJA does have a 1RU smaller frame that holds 4 Open Gear cards sideways for about $790. They also have some cards that are dual channel transmit or dual receive, so you can put in one 2T card, and do two sdi to fiber on one card. Then reverse that with a 2R at the other end. The signal is cross compatible with BlackMagic and many other company's SDI over optical signals - just make sure you have the frequencies correct on the SFP transceivers.

https://www.aja.com/category/rackframes

EDIT - Oh, I see you may already use OpenGear stuff. My oversight? The 1RU frame might still interest you. I liked the idea of the Tereanex Mini as well, just to have the confidence monitor and data - like resolution and frame rate on the screen. It would be very helpful in some locations, like comm closets. But that is too obviously a product they should make.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 1:35 pm

Sdi to fiber is possible with the Teranex mini Audio to Optical version. (Which seems to have vanished completely from the product line...... :shock: :shock:

You could input sdi and go fiber with that.. But they dont have a 12G 2way converter..

Meaning that if this is gone now from the website.. They stopped production of those units...
Speculation could be there are new models coming.. #NAB #IBC
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Frakk2000

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 10:33 am

I guess I'll have to wait then ;D
Thanks for the feedback!

Return to Getting Started