Project Server in 14.1?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Frank Glencairn

Project Server in 14.1?

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 3:18 pm

What does that "Project Server " do, we got with 14.1?
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Reynaud Venter

Re: Project Server in 14.1?

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 3:43 pm

• Added support for a new Project Server application to manage a local PostgreSQL server on macOS and Windows
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Frank Glencairn

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Ahhh, RTFM I guess :lol:
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Ahhh, RTFM I guess :lol:
In this case, the manual would not help you.

This is RTFPR.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

David Franzo

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 9:35 pm

There's 2 features in this manager that I can't figure out:

Enable Sharing
Asks for authorization, but nothing happens when I click the button. I have no clue what this is even supposed to do.

Create Access Key (.resolvedbkey)
This creates an XML formatted file with the IP and credentials of the database, but there is no way to actually import this file in the actual Resolve application.

Olivier MATHIEU

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 pm

David Franzo wrote:
Create Access Key (.resolvedbkey)
This creates an XML formatted file with the IP and credentials of the database, but there is no way to actually import this file in the actual Resolve application.

You can drag and drop it to the project manager of Davinci resolve!!
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Chip.Murphy

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 11:48 pm

UPDATE:

your pg_hba has to explicitly have 127.0.0.1 listed for the new Project Server to work on Windows at least..

I can't even get it to open, all that pops up is "DaVinci Resolve Project Server connection error. The PostgreSQL server is either not running or the password is incorrect". Running Postgres on Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 am

127.0.0.1 should never be removed. That's the local connection to the server.

If our past procedures for modifying pg_hba.conf are followed, we add a new line to the bottom of the file for allowing same subnet access to the server from remote systems.

But we leave the original 127.0.0.1 line in place, so things on the local system can connect, without having to use an explicit IP address. That's what the Project Server app requires to communicate with the server.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Lucas Hilty

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Are there any step-by-step instructions somewhere for setting this up?
I'm only used to disk, but I'm interested in moving to this workflow.
Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz
32GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660Ti
Win 10 x64 Pro
DaVinci Resolve 15

Andrii Dovhyi

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Why is it possible to set my own password when creating a database but it is not possible to specify it when the project server starts. Why the password should be "DaVinci"? Credentials user=postgres and password=DaVinci does not correspond to the logic of the best unsecure way of authentication which is user=user and password=password.

Dear developers, you either give the opportunity to set my own user and password.
Either keep honor distance from data protection and skip down to user=user and password=password. In this case, the user will clearly understand that the connection is not secure and will act accordingly.
Do not mislead people!

Chip.Murphy

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:127.0.0.1 should never be removed. That's the local connection to the server.

If our past procedures for modifying pg_hba.conf are followed, we add a new line to the bottom of the file for allowing same subnet access to the server from remote systems.

But we leave the original 127.0.0.1 line in place, so things on the local system can connect, without having to use an explicit IP address. That's what the Project Server app requires to communicate with the server.

Thanks, Dwaine!

Travis Marshall

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 7:31 pm

So do we need to enable and configure PostgreSQL through the terminal, as explained in the manual, in order to use this for managing the server? Or are we able to configure the whole thing through this GUI interface?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 11:59 pm

You WILL be able to set up shared databases using the Project Server, but not until the next Resolve point release. The current Project Server app has an issue in Enable Sharing area.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 4:30 pm

The 14.1.1 release Project Server Enable Sharing button now works.
Dwaine Maggart

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 2:16 am

To Recap.

On a new system that you plan to use as your Database Server, Mac Mini or PC, install DaVinci Resolve and in the install process select the 'Customise' option on the installer and then select PostgreSQL server. Deselect the panels installer.

Complete the install, restart.
Then go to the DaVinci Resolve Project Manager application in your applications folder. Start the app.
The DaVinci Resolve Project Manager will show you the default PostgreSQL database 'resolve' and you can make others if you wish. You can also see here the projects within the database once you make them, and make folders to manage them.

Select the 'Enable Sharing' icon and authorise sharing of the database.
You can now create an Access Key, select the icon, save the key to a shared location or to a thumb drive and move that key to each of the clients.
Drag the key on top of the Project Manager in Resolve for each of the clients who you wish to provide access to that Database.

That Resolve client is now connected to the database on the shared DB server. Do they same for others to collaborate on the same project.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Lucas Hilty

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Will it be possible to use both disk and PostgreSQL databases with the same install?

I'm wondering about the best way to bring the old projects from the disk database into the PostgreSQL database.
Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz
32GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660Ti
Win 10 x64 Pro
DaVinci Resolve 15

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 4:11 am

Yes you can use both. If you set up your PostGres DB in Resolve Project manager you can move projects to the other type of Database.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

William Eguienta

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 am

hello
is it possible to create a shared database on a non resolve used machine ? i mean, if i install posgres and resolve project server
i want to make a micro server exclusively for resolve databases (a linux one in best case)

alexoreman

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 pm

@Frank Glencairn

We just install the normal Resolve package with the postgres option enabled and then create the initial DB using a license at first, I'm sure there is a way around that.

Once the initial DB is created we never re-license the DB server and admin it remotely as a headless unit.

William Eguienta

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 3:40 pm

does a linux version is planned ?
I want to build a micro PC to run resolve database and some for other softwares too so linux is the cheapest/best way to go

movalex

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 10:56 am

There's a problem with changing default Postgres database password. If I want to change db password on, first I have to disconnect all the databases manually, and then reconnect one by one. In this case Resolve works fine, but Project Server stops working ("The PostgreSQL server is either not running or the password is incorrect"). Seems like it is still looking for default password.
How do I correctly change default password for my Postgres database in Resolve?

Andrey Dovgy wrote:Why is it possible to set my own password when creating a database but it is not possible to specify it when the project server starts. Why the password should be "DaVinci"? Credentials user=postgres and password=DaVinci does not correspond to the logic of the best unsecure way of authentication which is user=user and password=password.

Dear developers, you either give the opportunity to set my own user and password.
Either keep honor distance from data protection and skip down to user=user and password=password. In this case, the user will clearly understand that the connection is not secure and will act accordingly.
Do not mislead people!

Artbox

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 am

Okay, so I have followed the instructions from the newest version of the manual, which does not mention "pg_hba.conf" or any of those things.

I want to enable a collaborative workflow on two computers, using one of them as the host. I run Windows 10 on both computers. I have done a clean install of Resolve Studio 14.3 on both computers with the newest version of PostgreSQL. Then I create a database with Resolve Project Server and enable sharing.

The access key I then create has no problem being imported in the Project Manager on the computer I used to create the database. However, when trying to import the access key on the other computer on the network, I get the error: "Failed to connect to the database, Please check log file for more details."

So.. am I doing anything wrong? Do I need to edit anything else, and if yes, where can I find a guide?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 10:45 pm

You don't need to Import the access key on the Host system, as it already has that database available.

When you create a database in the Project Server app, and then launch Resolve on that system, you should see that database sitting in the database area of the Project Manager window, if you have the databases exposed on the Project Manager window.
Dwaine Maggart

Artbox

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 am

The database does not show up automatically in the project manager app. Even though I created the database on the same system with the Project Server app, I have to import it manually to the project manager.

However, my main problem is that I can't import the access key on other systems. Any thoughts?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 7:59 pm

My bad. I thought the Project Server would add it to the local db list, but it doesn't.

Using the access key does work though.

So if your access key isn't working on any system, we need to sort that out.

Can you PM me your access key file? I'm not sure you can do attachments in PMs. If not, put it on a file sharing site and send a link to it.
Dwaine Maggart

Artbox

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks, I have sent you a PM.

NealoHills

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Has a solution for this error been found? I'm having the same problem with adding the access key onto my second computer.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Verify you can ping the server computer from the Resolve client.

If that works, temporarily disable the firewall to see if that is causing the issue.
Dwaine Maggart

NealoHills

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 10:01 pm

Firewall was causing the problem. Any way around this problem, setting some sort of rule?

NealoHills

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 11:15 pm

The router I was using was creating issues, tried switching to a new router (for both machines). I can ping, but am back to the same issue with importing the database key (I made a new one)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 1:30 am

If there is a firewall getting in the way, you indeed need to deal with that.

Windows and Mac firewall apps have methods for adding Resolve and PostgreSQL to the allowed list, so that they can work. The relevant port that needs to be open for PostgreSQL is 5432.
Dwaine Maggart

NealoHills

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 10:21 pm

I got that...I'm able to ping my machine, but importing the resolvedbkey file is still failing immediately.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 11:48 pm

You mentioned earlier that the firewall was causing the issue. Implying that turning that off made it work? So I'm not sure where we are at.
Dwaine Maggart

Kristoffer Laurin-Racicot

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm also having problem importing the resolvedbkey file. The first time I drag-and-drop it to the Projects window, nothing happens.

If I do it a second time, I'm having a popup error message saying: "New database cannot be created. Database "test" is in use.", where test is the name of the DB I'm trying to connect to.

error-resolve-connect-db.jpg
error-resolve-connect-db.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 10497 times

I'm running Davinci Resolve 14.3.0.014 and PostgreSQL 9.5 on both systems:
  • Macbook Pro with Mac OS Sierra (the DBs server with the test DB has been created with DaVinci Resolve Project Server);
  • Windows 10.

No firewall on the way.

Boris Tivchev

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 11:57 am

Kristoffer Laurin-Racicot wrote:I'm also having problem importing the resolvedbkey file. The first time I drag-and-drop it to the Projects window, nothing happens.

If I do it a second time, I'm having a popup error message saying: "New database cannot be created. Database "test" is in use.", where test is the name of the DB I'm trying to connect to.

error-resolve-connect-db.jpg

I'm running Davinci Resolve 14.3.0.014 and PostgreSQL 9.5 on both systems:
  • Macbook Pro with Mac OS Sierra (the DBs server with the test DB has been created with DaVinci Resolve Project Server);
  • Windows 10.

No firewall on the way.

Did you manage to sort it out?
Mac Pro, MacOS 11.6.1, 2 x Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, 3,2GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 144GB RAM, QNAP TVS-1282T, APC Smart-UPS 3000 RM, BMD UltraStudio 4K, FSI CM250, BMD Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI 12G, Panasonic 55EZ950, DRS 17.4.6, BMD Mini Panel

Kristoffer Laurin-Racicot

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 1:16 pm

Boris Tivchev wrote:Did you manage to sort it out?

Not yet, same problem with v15.

chrisbrearley

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 3:05 pm

I was having the same issues and I had to unblock Windows Firewall

Go to Control Panel > Windows Defender Firewall > Allow an app or feature through firewall

add this to the list

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.5\bin\postgres.exe

Return to DaVinci Resolve