It keeps saving video to "Timeline 1"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jack_Decker

It keeps saving video to "Timeline 1"

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 2:19 am

When I try to save videos, it keeps trying to save them to "Timeline 1" in the folder that I have for videos and asking me if I want to overwrite it. Ugh! The raw unedited footage (used using OBS) has the date and is in that folder but Resolve 14 keeps wanting to title the footage "Timeline 1". How do I get it not do that? I have tried naming it BUT it then simply has that name before "Timeline 1" such as "Poker Tournament/Timeline 1".

Xtreemtec

Re: It keeps saving video to "Timeline 1"

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Start a new project. That project makes a new folder and asks for a new name.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jack_Decker

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Start a new project. That project makes a new folder and asks for a new name.

Yup. I do that. I give it a new name ... and then it wants to save it to "Timeline 1" in the folder on my computer where I tell it to save them.

Cary Knoop

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Jack_Decker wrote:When I try to save videos, it keeps trying to save them to "Timeline 1" in the folder that I have for videos and asking me if I want to overwrite it. Ugh! The raw unedited footage (used using OBS) has the date and is in that folder but Resolve 14 keeps wanting to title the footage "Timeline 1". How do I get it not do that? I have tried naming it BUT it then simply has that name before "Timeline 1" such as "Poker Tournament/Timeline 1".

I assume you mean you want to avoid overwriting a video during rendering.

In the Delivery page there is a File tab where you can set the filename.

Jack_Decker

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:
Jack_Decker wrote:When I try to save videos, it keeps trying to save them to "Timeline 1" in the folder that I have for videos and asking me if I want to overwrite it. Ugh! The raw unedited footage (used using OBS) has the date and is in that folder but Resolve 14 keeps wanting to title the footage "Timeline 1". How do I get it not do that? I have tried naming it BUT it then simply has that name before "Timeline 1" such as "Poker Tournament/Timeline 1".

I assume you mean you want to avoid overwriting a video during rendering.

Yes, that is what it is always asking if I want to do. To overwrite a file. I have to say "yes" for it to do anything so I say okay.

In the Delivery page there is a File tab where you can set the filename.

Okay. I will look for it today. About to record another episode and will be rendering it. Hopefully your suggestion solves this problem.

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 8:16 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 10:16 pm

Right click on the Timeline clip on the Edit page bin. Select "Rename" from the drop-down menu and give it the name of your choice.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jack_Decker

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 11:38 pm

Are you the author? I've seen you post this post to numerous threads. Okay. Fine. You don't want to answer the question or apparently anyone's questions but why do you feel you need to post this? That's like saying "Google it." :roll:

Jack_Decker

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 11:41 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Right click on the Timeline clip on the Edit page bin. Select "Rename" from the drop-down menu and give it the name of your choice.

Had some problem today. Will try your solution tomorrow when I record the next video. Hopefully it works.

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 11:49 pm

Jack_Decker wrote:Are you the author?

Nope. Just someone new to Resolve who understands how incredibly helpful that book is for folks new to Resolve.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 11:50 pm

Jack_Decker wrote:That's like saying "Google it." :roll:

I feel that's a valid response to those who haven't done their homework.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Byron Dickens

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 1:17 am

RTFM.

Be glad you aren't an auto mechanic and this isn't iATN.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Jack_Decker

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Jack_Decker wrote:Are you the author?

Nope. Just someone new to Resolve who understands how incredibly helpful that book is for folks new to Resolve.

Then stop being a shill for it in every thread. It contributes nothing. Unless you think people don't know that manuals are made and you are the first one to tell them of this fact. Nearly everything has a manual today and usually several. So, again, you're contribute nothing by making this repetitive post to thread after thread.

And then you say:

I feel that's a valid response to those who haven't done their homework.

Byron Dickens wrote:RTFM.

If you two don't want to answer the question, don't reply. Neither of your responses contributes anything. Yes, yes, I know. Everyone should read the manual from cover to cover and ONLY then should they be allowed to come to this forum and ask questions. I mean Blackmagic did require us to pass a test on the manual before being allowed to post on this forum and... What? They didn't require us to pass such a test? Yeah, come to think of it, I do remember not having to do that to post to this forum. Hmmm. Maybe that means Blackmagic isn't having a RTFM requirement for this forum.

Now let me guess. You two are on this forum to only answers questions YOU think aren't answered in the manual, right? Great! Honestly, great. Go and find those hard nuts to crack. Don't waste your time on us lesser mortals. BUT also don't waste our time with your worthless posts.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 6:38 am

Jack_Decker wrote:If you two don't want to answer the question, don't reply. Neither of your responses contributes anything.

I think the people who've been answering questions on the forum for several years (for free, BTW, just in their spare time) get weary of brand-new users who can't be bothered to read the manual. Either that, or they get intimidated by the fact that the manual is over 1300 pages, and it's a fairly daunting program that takes several years to learn how to use effectively. There are some great tutorials out there that will get you up to speed quickly, but many of us just learned the program from the original manuals, which are actually very good (as manuals go).

If you're rendering a file and it's going to "Timeline 1," my guess is that your Deliver Page settings are set to "Single Clip" and "Timeline Name" (on the left under the File tab). Change Timeline Name to "Custom Name" and you can name it anything you want. It's recommended that you avoid spaces and punctuation except for underscores and/or dashes.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jack_Decker

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 9:21 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Jack_Decker wrote:If you two don't want to answer the question, don't reply. Neither of your responses contributes anything.

I think the people who've been answering questions on the forum for several years (for free, BTW, just in their spare time) get weary of brand-new users who can't be bothered to read the manual.

Understandable but if for every brand-new user who comes asking a "simple" question is given the "RTDM" as a reply, just how many of those do you think will stick around? How many would be right to then think, "Then what the Hell is this forum for? Only seasoned professionals?" When I was a moderator for four business newsgroups during newsgroups' heyday (yeah, I'm that ancient), I could have almost always just replied, "Go read The E-Myth." and it would have done the trick 90% of the time. But if I did that, 1) that's just lazy on my part, 2) it would drive away new members, and 3) bring into question the point of even having the newsgroups.

Either that, or they get intimidated by the fact that the manual is over 1300 pages,...

No kidding! :(

...and it's a fairly daunting program that takes several years to learn how to use effectively. There are some great tutorials out there that will get you up to speed quickly, but many of us just learned the program from the original manuals, which are actually very good (as manuals go).

As for myself, I first tried googling for the answer. Couldn't find an answer. Tried a variety of search terms. Nada. I then did a YouTube search for tutorial videos. Nothing turned up that seemed even close to my problem. It was then that I posted to this forum. Having said that, I did find some YouTube videos that did help me on other problems, such as how to add text to a video ... though there were MANY misleading video titles I had to go through until I found one that told what I wanted to know.

If you're rendering a file and it's going to "Timeline 1," my guess is that your Deliver Page settings are set to "Single Clip" and "Timeline Name" (on the left under the File tab). Change Timeline Name to "Custom Name" and you can name it anything you want. It's recommended that you avoid spaces and punctuation except for underscores and/or dashes.

Thanks! I will see if this is the solution tomorrow when I film another video and edit it.

Jack_Decker

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:If you're rendering a file and it's going to "Timeline 1," my guess is that your Deliver Page settings are set to "Single Clip" and "Timeline Name" (on the left under the File tab).

Okay. I am at this point today with another video. There is no "Timeline Name" under the File tab. The only option with "Timeline" in it is "New Timeline" and it is grayed out. There is no option with "Name" in it.

Jeff Brass

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 11:34 pm

you are looking in the wrong place.

on the delivery page, there are three tabs on the left hand side. VIDEO - which is to set you video settings, AUDIO...and FILE. click on file and you will see a bunch of options. naming, where to save etc etc

here you can choose "Filename Uses - Custom Name or Timeline Name"
choose custom name and call it what you want.

Its all very well explained in the manual.
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 11:51 pm

At least, have a read of the delivery page in the manual: pretty much will cover your issue.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Byron Dickens

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Actually, RTFM is very good advice. Perhaps a bit blunt, but good advice nonetheless.

"Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime"
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Jack_Decker

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 pm

Jeff Brass wrote:you are looking in the wrong place.

on the delivery page, there are three tabs on the left hand side. VIDEO - which is to set you video settings, AUDIO...and FILE. click on file and you will see a bunch of options. naming, where to save etc etc

here you can choose "Filename Uses - Custom Name or Timeline Name"
choose custom name and call it what you want.

Okay, I have tried this. I did give it a custom name and it is stored as such in the folder I assigned for the videos, but it also created a "Timeline 1" file in that folder as well. When it created "Timeline 1" file, I'm not sure as I didn't check that folder at each step. So I now have the original raw footage file (given a date for a name), the custom named file, and a "Timeline 1" file. Is that third file supposed to always happen?

Peter Cave

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 3:32 am

Rename each timeline inside Resolve to the name you need on the output file and choose " Filename uses > Timeline Name in the Deliver Page options. If all the advice in this thread is still not working for you, the user manual will explain how it all works, including what the Master Timeline is for too!
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jack_Decker

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 10:37 am

When I edited another video and then tried to render it, it again asked if I wanted to overwrite the current file by that name and I knew it meant "Timeline 1". Ugh! So I did so and the name I gave it using the "File" and name box, didn't appear in the folder I have created for these videos. Just "Timeline 1" and, sure enough, when I played that one, it is the finished version of the video I just worked on. I then changed its file name in the folder to be the right one. Here's my bet. When I edit the next video, it won't ask me to overwrite a current file since "Timeline 1" in that folder has been renamed BUT it will create ANOTHER "Timeline 1". Oddly, the previous time, it created the file by the name I gave it AND a "Timeline 1" file. This time it only created the "Timeline 1". Thankfully at least it isn't doing anything with the raw footage videos ... yet.

And, yes, I am trying to use the d*mn manual ... but to no avail so far. Now on page 305 there is the tiny bit about "Creating Timelines by Drag and Drop". That's what I've been doing but when I do, a second video appears to the right of the one that is there to begin with. What the first video is for, I haven't a clue. The second video is the one that I can actually manipulate and thus edit. AND it is that second video that Resolve 14 ALWAYS titles "Timeline 1". If I try renaming it, it is that new name plus "/Timeline 1" and guess what file name it only uses when it renders. Yup. "Timeline 1".

On the bright side, I am able to produce what I want. It just sucks that I have to do steps that I feel should be unnecessary. But I do get a usable product so maybe I just have to deal with its asinine ways.

Jean Claude

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 10:58 am

Hi Jack,

Can you post screenshots of the 3 tabs settings:
VIDEO, AUDIO and FILE
(from the delivery page)

and tell us the name of your timeline and what timeline name you want to deliver. In addition to which directory.

Video : which codec
Audio : which codec

and if other settings you changed

I can not understand the:
Oddly, the previous time, it created the file by the name I gave it a "Timeline 1" file.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Jack_Decker

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 11:10 am

Jean Claude wrote:Hi Jack,

Can you post screenshots of the 3 tabs settings:
VIDEO, AUDIO and FILE
(from the delivery page)

Screenshots??? Okay. What command do I use to do that? I am using Windows.

What I have done is click on "FILE" and changed the timeline name there.

and tell us the name of your timeline and what timeline name you want to deliver. In addition to which directory.

I think what you're asking is something like "ppt3" (playmoney poker tournaments 3) and that's the kind of name I give it. As for directory, it is just "Poker Videos" folder on my Desktop.

Video : which codec
Audio : which codec

I didn't touch these.

and if other settings you changed

Again, just the timeline name.

I can not understand the:
Oddly, the previous time, it created the file by the name I gave it a "Timeline 1" file.

You left out the word "AND" in that quote. It was between "it" and "a". I gave the timeline a name "ppt3" and in my "Poker Videos" folder, there was a file named "ppt3" and "Timeline 1" ... in addition to the raw footage file with its date for a name.

Jean Claude

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 11:30 am

If you do not have screen capture software:
If you are under windows:
you press "prints screen"
You open Paint.exe and you use "Paste". Then save in .jpg

You post the image here or from an image hosting site.

If you are on MAC: there must be the equivalent but I do not know.

Yes: you're right: I lost the "AND". Important. Sorry.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Jack_Decker

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 1:06 am

Here's the image from today's edit. First image wasn't the correct one. This one is.
Attachments
second screenshot of Resolve 14.jpg
second screenshot of Resolve 14.jpg (492.3 KiB) Viewed 3804 times

Jack_Decker

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 1:32 am

Okay. Well, just finished rendering that video. It only created a "ppt7" file. No "Timeline 1" this time. Maybe last time was a fluke.

Jeff Brass

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 1:52 am

good to hear.

just to check - the "timeline 1" file wasn't left over from a previous export?
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Jack_Decker

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 9:22 am

Jeff Brass wrote:good to hear.

Thanks for the help.

just to check - the "timeline 1" file wasn't left over from a previous export?

No, I deleted that file before. Resolve 14 seems to recreate it. It didn't this time. Hopefully won't again.

roger.magnusson

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 10:11 am

Is it possible you had both renders in the Render Queue before and rendered the whole queue?

Jack_Decker

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 10:33 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Is it possible you had both renders in the Render Queue before and rendered the whole queue?

No clue. How could I check?

roger.magnusson

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 10:53 am

Each project has a Render Queue, the list on the right side in the Delivery page. The list remembers the settings for each render and you can re-render anything in the list if you wish.

Jack_Decker

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 7:50 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Each project has a Render Queue, the list on the right side in the Delivery page. The list remembers the settings for each render and you can re-render anything in the list if you wish.

Okay. I will check it out when I do that with today's video. Then again, do you mean where the video goes after I tell it to render it and then need to tell it to start rendering it? If so, there's only been the one that I'm working on in that right column box.

MikeMeagher

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 6:12 am

Not sure if relevant to this thread ...but you all know that there is a bug in the delivery page..seems that the round button selection to force the name of the output file to be the same as the timeline name does not work..it requires clicking both the radio buttons the custom name and the use timeline button a couple of times for it to read and set properly the timeline name. Im using the latest 14.3 studio. If i dont fiddle with these radio buttons every time i export my exported filename will not match the timeline name.
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

DouglasC

PostWed May 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Well, despite all the RTFM comments, I appreciate someone asking and everyone that helped answer this question. This was not immediately obvious when I first started using Resolve either. The fact that there is a "Filename" and "Location" setting and the top, but no way to edit the "Filename" makes you think at first that naming the timeline is the only option.

Now if I could just get Resolve to stop crashing at random locations while its rendering out the final video... :cry:

Uli Plank

PostThu May 10, 2018 1:10 am

I second that it's confusing to have the timeline name shown in the batch column, while the file name of the delivered file is correct once it's finished. Please fix this, BM!
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve