No audio only in Blackmagic Media Express

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Freako

No audio only in Blackmagic Media Express

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 am

I've got everything set up, I have my Blackmagic Intensity Pro installed, the 720p video feed from my Xbox 360 showing up in Media Express using HDMI.
I can see the audio bars at the bottom of the window moving but I do not hear any sound.

Months ago when I had an earlier version of the Media Express software there were no sound issues, but when I updated it only if I record some footage and then open it in an external program do I hear any audio.
I've had this problem for ages now, and I need it fixed. Thanks.

Freako

Re: No audio only in Blackmagic Media Express

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 1:01 am

Woah, thanks for the help!

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 4:09 am

Hint. This is not an "official" support forum.. so there is no guarantee that your question will be answered. Call Black Magic support. The numbers are on their web site.

Also.. It's the weekend here. Your sarcasm is a little premature and uncalled for.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

psproule

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 4:16 am

Well, you asked for help on a Saturday morning.... This is not a support forum, it's a users forum, although occasional BMD staff do come in. Media Express is designed to only use the BMD I/O device. If you are using it for playback it will be trying to play the file through the audio outs of the BMD card. If you are trying to play the file through another program (eg - VLC) then it will be using whatever audio output device you have selected for playback in your audio or multimedia preferences (OS dependant). if indeed the file has no audio recorded in in then check the decklink settings that you have the correct audio input selected.

Pat

Freako

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 5:36 am

I think you read my post wrong.

Audio plays in my recorded footage in any other program. But it does not play audio at all in media express, recorded or not.

Whatever happened to the email support address? I looked everywhere for it and couldn't find crap.
I remember getting support that way and it helped, did they get rid of it or something?

Freako

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 8:59 am

Well after receiving no help whatsoever from here or by calling, I just bought one of these for a few bucks.

Plugged it into the audio out of the breakout cable and plugged the 3.5 input into my mic port and set my PC to listen to the mic port. I finally have sound. Amazing.

DidiKunz

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 9:13 am

psproule wrote:Well, you asked for help on a Saturday morning.... This is not a support forum, it's a users forum, although occasional BMD staff do come in. Media Express is designed to only use the BMD I/O device. If you are using it for playback it will be trying to play the file through the audio outs of the BMD card. If you are trying to play the file through another program (eg - VLC) then it will be using whatever audio output device you have selected for playback in your audio or multimedia preferences (OS dependant). if indeed the file has no audio recorded in in then check the decklink settings that you have the correct audio input selected.

Pat

That is What psproule tried to explain...

Freako

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 9:31 am

Before I updated the software I was able to hear the sound on my PC, I didn't touch anything except I updated the software/drivers and then I could no longer get sound.

I didn't have to do this output from the card and then BACK into the PC buisness before I updated the drivers. Somehow people don't understand this.

AndehX

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 11:52 am

Use AmarecTV, dont use MediaExpress.

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 11:25 pm

AndehX wrote:Use AmarecTV, dont use MediaExpress.

From the look of it that software is made for recording only.
Not for playback.

Strangely there is NO OPTION in the blackmagic part of the system settings nor
in the Media Express application on MacOS to select the audio output device to use.
And it has NO WAY TO SET THE VOLUME.
It ignores all system-wide settings the user made and outputs audio via HDMI on
the Ultrastudio Monitor box to my color grading monitor...that has no speakers.
This is a serious shortcoming.
(The headphone amplifiers of that monitor are terrible and being forced to wear headphones
is not helping. Sadly Media Express seems to be the only way to watch clips on the Ultrastudio
as it doesn't apear as a monitor but as an AV-output on MacOS. )

Chad

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 2:50 am

Media Express was built to transfer to and from a VTR / tape deck (aka Ingest and layout) for editing in Final Cut, Premiere, etc. It wasn't meant to be a video player for playing random files, so they never added the ability to use a computer speaker or anything else normally involved in playing back video

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 7:27 am

so is there a player that can use the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor?
Currently only Resolve and FCPX can do anything with the monitor and it stays black the rest of the time.

Gesendet von meinem JK-P6 mit Tapatalk

Chad

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 pm

I believe VLC version 2.2.0 added a Blackmagic Decklink output module. But you may need to go under the VLC advanced settings for the decklink plugin, and uncheck the option to wait for audio in order to split the audio to go out your PC speakers instead.

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 9:53 pm

Chad wrote:I believe VLC version 2.2.0 added a Blackmagic Decklink output module. But you may need to go under the VLC advanced settings for the decklink plugin, and uncheck the option to wait for audio in order to split the audio to go out your PC speakers instead.

cool.
VLC 2.2 only exist as nightly builds.
parently here:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/macosx-intel/
and as a release candidate:
http://download.videolan.org/testing/vl ... c2/macosx/

I'll give it a try.
On the laptop, where there is no Ultrastudio Mini Display connected, both don't list a Decklink plugin in the video output plugins.

MarcusWolschon

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 7:41 am

Apparently that support only exists for Windows and Linux. Not for MacOS.
The only 2 active MacOS developers have no access to the hardware and limited time.

Return to Getting Started