Studio Dongle to Activation Code?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Cordes

Re: Studio Dongle to Activation Code?

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Is it true the upgrade service is limited to October 6th 2017?

After that date, no more Upgrade from Dongle to Activation Code is possible?

Thanks for an answer.
Peter

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 5:19 am

The activation offer is designed to allow existing dongle owners to also use the activation key. If you have the serial number and proof of purchase you can submit these to your local BMD support.

It's not designed to be ongoing as you can order an activation key version today.
I recommend you provide the details now to support if you wish to take up the offer.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Cordes

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 7:28 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I recommend you provide the details now to support if you wish to take up the offer.

Thanks for your answer.

I already provided the details to the support and am waiting for the answer and the activation key.

Maybe they have a lot of work and it takes several days. That's okay.
And it's weekend too. :-)

I only want to prevent that I'm to late in the queue.

Thanks a lot Peter.
I'm now waiting for the key. :-)

Best regards.
Peter

Thomas Martin

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi, I am also from Germany. What is the email of the "local" support ? The only thing I get is a form
addressed to an UK support. There is no way to attach the invoice (either as a pdf or jpg) which
I want to add as a proof that and when I purchased Resolve.

Moreover, I received an email yesterday from dveas (not my reseller) that there is a way to replace the dongle for an activation key until Oct.6. But this was not the deal we have seen before. The offer was to get an activation key in addition to the dongle. Could someone shed some light on these contradicting infos ?

Thanks, Thomas

Johan Fleetwood

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 12:10 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:The activation offer is designed to allow existing dongle owners to also use the activation key. If you have the serial number and proof of purchase you can submit these to your local BMD support.

Hi Peter,

Your info is partially incorrect.

After having submitted pictures of my Cinema Camera, Dongle, visible serial number and valid proof of purchase (invoice) I received the following response:

BM Support wrote:I am sorry to say that this upgrade is only available for the original purchaser of the USB dongle for Resolve or the Camera and it is not available to anyone who bought their dongle or product second hand.

I have no problem accepting an official policy stating that this offer is valid only for the 'original purchaser', but this info has to the best of my knowledge never been communicated on this forum or anywhere else.
Johan Fleetwood
Colorist | Editor | Post Production Consultant
- Win10pro, RTX 2080, Decklink, Mini Panel, Speed Editor, Ample RAM & SSD storage -

Ellory Yu

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 5:01 am

Folks, This has probably been asked before and I read Peter's sticky post. But I just want to make sure my understanding is correct. Please be kind and I hope Peter or BMD would respond.

I have a workstation all set up running Resolve Studio 12.5.6. It is all configured well and running with a dongle on one of the USB port. I'm now ready to upgrade to Resolve Studio 14. When I install Resolve Studio 14, is it correct that Resolve Studio 14 will recognize the dongle and defaults into full Studio mode? I hope it will be that simple. I'm okay with just the dongle being there. Thanks!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 5:08 am

Resolve 14 Studio will work with either a dongle or an activation code.

If a dongle is not detected when you launch Resolve 14 Studio, it will ask for an activation code, if one has not been previously entered.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Nick Kurucsev

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 7:32 am

Hi guys,

below is part of the reply i got from Australian/New Zealand distributor, New Magic Australia Pty Ltd

"The dongle to license procedure has not been finalized. Please contact our office in the next couple of weeks."

So, my concern is that some of the posts I've read on the forum are that the activation code for existing dongle will only be available for a limited period, is this the case, and as you have announced it, why isn't it finalised?
Thanks,
Nick
DR 16 Studio
Gigabyte X299X Designare Mainboard, I9-10980XE CPU
128Gig Ram Windows 10 RTX3090

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 am

Nick Kurucsev wrote:Hi guys,

below is part of the reply i got from Australian/New Zealand distributor, New Magic Australia Pty Ltd

"The dongle to license procedure has not been finalized. Please contact our office in the next couple of weeks."

So, my concern is that some of the posts I've read on the forum are that the activation code for existing dongle will only be available for a limited period, is this the case, and as you have announced it, why isn't it finalised?

Hi Nick, was this today?
Its not correct now. Please PM me with detail and I will follow up.
Peter

Peter Cordes

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Nick Kurucsev wrote:Hi guys,

Hi Nick,

maybe you should contact the BMD support directly instead of your distributor.

I sent the numbers and proof of purchace (invoice) directly to the european BMD support and received the activation key yesterday without any problems.

I hope it helps.
Peter

LukeCypert

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Well I lost my dongle.

Too bad this wasn't a thing.

LukeCypert

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 7:14 pm

I don't suppose there is anyway to get Blackmagic to send me an activation code is there?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 11:27 am

Details here on qualifying conditions. Please review both posts.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64727

Michael Odhiambo

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Details here on qualifying conditions. Please review both posts.

I have activated my license on my laptop to finish some work that is still pending. However, I need to do a fresh OS install in about a month. I assume I need to deactivate on my machine prior to reinstalling the computer OS and re-activate on my laptop again. Yes?

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Michael Odhiambo wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Details here on qualifying conditions. Please review both posts.

I have activated my license on my laptop to finish some work that is still pending. However, I need to do a fresh OS install in about a month. I assume I need to deactivate on my machine prior to reinstalling the computer OS and re-activate on my laptop again. Yes?

Yes, you can de-activate using the Help menu.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Cary Knoop

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 11:43 pm

Talking about the dongle, here is a haiku....

Hopefully, next week,
DaVinci Resolve's dongle,
is as good as gold!

Antoine Grasset

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Quick question :
can you deactivate a licence remotely/from BMD website ?

I'm thinking about two problematic situations :
1) I'm working in a facility and forget to deactivate before going home
2) my workstation dies and cannot be booted anymore

Uli Plank

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 1:41 pm

You can install a single license at work and at home if only you are using the machines.

If a machine dies, I'm sure BM will offer a complete reset, like deactivating your installations and you can start over.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 5:13 am

BMD have no need to deactivate your license as you can simply add a new machine and it will automatically deactivate the excessive earlier activated machines.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks for clarifying, Peter! The message just says you have 0 installations left, so that was not obvious. Or has that message changed? I didn't really need another installation recently.

Great solution! Now compare that to hostage taking our work by you know who…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Antoine Grasset

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 11:02 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:BMD have no need to deactivate your license as you can simply add a new machine and it will automatically deactivate the excessive earlier activated machines.

Thanks a lot Peter !

RickWallter

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 7:46 am

timbutt2 wrote:I'm curious if there is a way for us to get an Activation Code if we have the Dongle? I'd love to run Studio on my laptop sans Dongle while running Studio on the desktop platform with the Dongle. Although, I may also go without Dongle on the desktop as well to free up a USB port. So, is there an option somewhere for us to be able to get the activation code by providing proof we have the dongle?

Hello! I haven’t seen such a moment, but I can more likely say that this is not possible. The only thing that can be dongle .... I had it with Cubase. I left the dongle at home and went to another state for work. When it came to work, I realized that I left the key at home :cry: it was not at the right time. Having studied the topic on the Internet, I came across the program https://www.flexihub.com/. From the side of the house, my brother connected the key to his laptop, and I was able to start the program using the Cubase far from home.
I thought my story would be useful to someone. :idea:
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve