Upload BMD video files to FTP?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

McGeee

Upload BMD video files to FTP?

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 5:42 pm

I've been trying to send 20GB files to FTP sites. It's telling me it will take upwards of 26 hours to complete. I'm new to this. Is there a best procedure to send video files?

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: Upload BMD video files to FTP?

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Yes, ship a hard drive.

Seriously, if you need to send footage to an editor, colorist, VFX house etc., depending on the upload speeds from your ISP it might take forever and result in a bunch of errors anyway. As a rule of thumb, I try not to send anything that's over 5Gb as an upload, and my connection is actually pretty fast.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Jack Fairley

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Yes, ship a hard drive.

Seriously, if you need to send footage to an editor, colorist, VFX house etc., depending on the upload speeds from your ISP it might take forever and result in a bunch of errors anyway. As a rule of thumb, I try not to send anything that's over 5Gb as an upload, and my connection is actually pretty fast.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a box of drives going down the highway in a van. Latency is poor, but you can't beat the throughput.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Yes, ship a hard drive.

If you use good apps then number of errors=0 (or near 0). All what is needed is MD5 verification per sent chunk (home or business connection is not that important here).

McGeee

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 6:15 pm

I Just saw on twitter that BMD announced H.264 recording for Hyperdeck Studio Mini. I assume this is going to be a software upgrade that I can download to my existing units?

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 pm

If you use good apps then number of errors=0 (or near 0). All what is needed is MD5 verification per sent chunk (home or business connection is not that important here).

Sorry Andrew, are you saying his internet speed/connection is not going to affect his performance here?
Sure it is, as is the connection at the other end.
Yes there can be restrictions placed on the speed by the app you are using, but if you connection is crap, no app in the world is going to save you.

Check your upload speed. If you are getting less than 5megs upload, or even 10, you are in for a fairly long upload session. Many people spend extra for download speeds, not realizing their upload speed is still extremely slow.

I pay for excellent speeds at both my home and office, both up and down, for this exact reason. When I have to upload to broadcasters, it can easily be 25 to 60 gigs. You need a fast and reliable connection to get those done in reasonable time, as well as a plan that isn't going to ding you for going over a data limit.

Return to Post Production