Aerial Cinematography with a drone that can carry a RED Epic

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

skyeyemedia

Aerial Cinematography with a drone that can carry a RED Epic

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Hey everyone,

So I have been working long and hard all summer to perfect my drone for capturing aerial video and here is some of the shots I have captured over the summer.

The helicopter is capable of carrying around 6lb, and will carry a RED Epic or C300.

The rotor on the helicopter is about 6 feet and the total weight is about 18lbs.

Most of this video is actually just shot with a Panasonic X900m ($1000 prosumer camera) but I have found that is it incredible for this purpose. skyeyemedia.com Enjoy

Cheers,
Chris

Margus Voll

Re: Aerial Cinematography with a drone that can carry a RED

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 10:34 pm

nice stable images.

do you see regular chopper more stable or the hexa - octo one ?
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Bill Rich

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 11:24 pm

Wow! Looks great Chris! Great images from that little Panny camera! Plus really nice and steady! What kind of drone do you use?
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Dwight Farmer

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 1:51 am

Wow! Great Job Chris. Very stable.... Do you have a wireless pan/tilt head on your Drone?

Gavin Benjamin

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 3:00 am

skyeyemedia wrote:Hey everyone,

So I have been working long and hard all summer to perfect my drone for capturing aerial video and here is some of the shots I have captured over the summer.

The helicopter is capable of carrying around 6lb, and will carry a RED Epic or C300.

The rotor on the helicopter is about 6 feet and the total weight is about 18lbs.

Most of this video is actually just shot with a Panasonic X900m ($1000 prosumer camera) but I have found that is it incredible for this purpose. skyeyemedia.com Enjoy

Cheers,
Chris

Can we get some pics and specs of your copter
G.

Keith Stark

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 4:29 am

Chris,
Awesome stuff. I was just morbidly curious what it takes (and $) to get permits to do some of that stuff...? or does it not matter?

Thx,
K
Camera "Claude" Received 4/4

mdwalleman

PostWed Dec 26, 2012 3:11 am

Not to be a downer here, but for those of us in the US... Aerial photography for any type or form of commercial use if forbidden by the FAA. You can do it for private/hobby use, but the moment you accept a penny for any footage shot on one you are in violation of FAA reqs. Here's a brief article about one individual who had was shut down as a result of the violations: http://photographyforrealestate.net/2012/01/24/warning-faa-says-us-airspace-is-closed-to-all-commercial/

I have built about a dozen of these types of aerial platforms in various designs carrying everything from a 5D to a simple GoPro. I love flying them also, but unfortunately the FAA does take note when they see something on the news or on Youtube in commercial use.

Hooray for capitalism eh?!

Otherwise, these are tons of fun to play with! I'm also a regular forum member here: http://diydrones.com/ Got most of my designs/ideas from here.
Mark D. Walleman

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Mark, Is that a picloc 3x stabiliser?

What flightplatform have you based your drone on? I hear a lot of things about the DJI Nasa.

On my learner Quadro i have still that open source simple control board. But i want to upgrade in the upcoming months and was wondering what you use to get this stable.

@ this moment in The Netherlands (Europe) there is no regulation yet for drones. And for video graphing you need a license but this will cost you 150 dollars a year. And forbidden to fly over military terrain.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Mar 26, 2013 10:13 pm

mdwalleman wrote:>snip<

Hooray for capitalism eh?!

>snip<

</sarcasm on>
But they told me that this is the land of freedom!!!!!
</sarcasm off>

Nice play... i never tried but I'm fascinated by this kind of use...\

The next thing will be two cameras on two different end of the football field to see hyper stereo clouds... one day i will try
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to Off-Topic