Suggested Design HDMI to multiple Monitors using SDI 6G-SDI

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

khallSDI

Suggested Design HDMI to multiple Monitors using SDI 6G-SDI

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Greetings :-)

I am admittedly not versed in the topic I am asking about and hope to find some help!

We have a building with 2 halls separated by a removable Wall.

Each hall has it’s own Console with a computer.

At the moment we have the signal from the computer’s HDMI port connected to a Dell pull down Projector screen. Going forward we want to replace the projector with a number of Monitors. It is required that we use SDI cabling.

Question 1: What type of unit do we need to purchase in order to output to a variable number of those screens on each side independently?

Question 2: On occasion we open the wall in order to have combined meetings. We would then require one of the sound consoles to send it's signal to all monitors on both sides! Can you suggest how you might design for this and perhaps what equipment to use. ??

So far we know we need 6G-SDI cabling in order to satisfy 4K signals.

Could you suggest specific Black Magic equipment to look at.

I more info is needed please let me know.

I Thank you in advance for generously sharing your knowledge with me!

Harry Parker

Re: Suggested Design HDMI to multiple Monitors using SDI 6G-

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:03 am

Sounds to me like you need matrix switching to cater for the variable number and location of display devices. I would suggest a Smart Videohub 12x12 or Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12x12. These are 6G SDI so would do the 4k vision you mentioned. To get convert signal to and from SDI, PC into the hub and HDMI into the monitors (unless you can input SDI directly), I'd use Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G and Mini Converter HDMI to SDI 6G.

khallSDI

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:27 am

@ Harry

Appreciate your input:-) however a key point is still eluding me. The 2 main requirements are: to have 2 separate systems. But have the capability to have video from one source to all 14 monitors during our larger meetings [where we slide the wall back and effectively have one large hall].

Scenario:During separate meetings.

Hall-A: Output video from it’s computer to 7 or so monitors using it’s own Videohub 12x12
Hall-B: Output video from it’s computer to 7 or so monitors using it’s own Videohub 12x12

Scenario: During Combined Meetings

During larger meetings have Hall-A’s output to all 14 computers.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

We could have a Smart Videohub 12x12 on each side of the wall. When having separate meetings we simply input from the PC and Videohub outputs to all 7 monitors.

----NOW TO BE ABLE TO OUTPUT TO ALL MONITORS FROM HALL-A----

Do we simply run an SDI Cable from one of Hall-A’s Videohub Outputs to one of Hall-B’s inputs in order to output Hall-A’s Video signal to Hall-B’s monitors??

Again Thanks in Advance.

khallSDI

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Eureka! I think?

So after digging into the Videohub product a bit more here is how I believe it works! Could someone kindly confirm that I am on the right track.

With one Videohub 20x20 I could connect both computers to inputs via SDI connection. Then have all 14 Monitors connected to individual outputs. The Videohub then permits us to configure Each input -> any number and combinations of outputs.

So during separate meetings we simply configure each of the 2 Videohub inputs to their corresponding Hall’s Monitors and during combined meetings configure Videohub to output Hall-A’s signal to all monitors, that is all 14 of them?

Does this sound correct?

Again thanks for the help?

Denis

Jack Fairley

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 1:34 am

In a word, yes.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 11:33 am

Yup that will work.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started