Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K!!!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K???

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:47 am

Wayne, it seems a stretch to criticize a camera that costs $1,295 because it doesn’t support 14bit colour with 16-17 stops dynamic range. Who knows what next year will bring, but what this camera and software bundle includes seems both a great value and a great stepping stone for many of its target market in 2018.

The dual ISO capability of the sensor has been used presumably to provide a wide range of ISO values rather than have even higher dynamic range with a much shorter range of shooting ISO values if that’s even a possible trade off which it may not be.

I need to watch that part of the presentation again and stop it on the portion where Grant had a slide that showed the dynamic range at various ISO values.

If the sensor supported it, there might be a way that 2K/HD could be implemented using the full 4K sensor to improve dynamic range, but I’m no sensor engineer to know if that could work to add one more stop.

All this sounds too much to expect today from a ‘pocket camera.’ Maybe the Pocket Pro in a few years as was previously mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Chris Chiasson

Re: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K???

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:47 am

Iain Philpott wrote:BM state clearly their position in the name 'Cinema Camera'. No serious DOP, with his crew, is going to want IBIS or autofocus. If you want those things there are plenty of other cameras to go and buy. Those crews won't be bothered about open vents because they will have rain covers. I think it is going to be an awesome camera, and yes you may need to add a viewfinder or monitor depending how you are going to shoot but make no mistake this camera is a game changer. My fear is (I have pre-ordered) that the volume of orders will shock BM and even if BM ship in September I may not see mine till this time next year or even later. This camera does change everything (particularly) if it is good in low light and the audio pre amps are spot on. Battery life at an hour is cool with me. My mission now is to find a tiny HD EVF. Any suggestions!

I was more of thinking of documentaries, live events, and one man bands when it comes to IBIS, continuious autofocus, and weather proofing, which they also seem to be aiming this camera for. But like I said, the Pocket having none of these is not a deal breaker for me, unless the GH5s and A7iii slash $1000 by Sept.

Chris Chiasson

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:49 am

rick.lang wrote:I haven’t been able to find the weight of the production version of this camera. The prototypes did not use the carbon fiber polymer whatchacallit that even Grant wasn’t sure about. That lightness may be another feature.

I also couldn’t find how many nits the “super bright” monitor is rated for. That should be a known but it’s not in the specs. I suspect it’s 1000 nits and that’s decent, but a higher value even better since you can’t tilt the screen and the sun can be so bright on a screen.

Anyone found any sample video yet?

Yeah, we definitely need to know if we can use that monitor in sunlight, and if it’s as reflective as past monitors.

John Paines

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:07 am

Iain Philpott wrote:BM state clearly their position in the name 'Cinema Camera'. No serious DOP, with his crew, is going to want IBIS or autofocus. If you want those things there are plenty of other cameras to go and buy.

All these distinctions over what a cinema camera should and shouldn't offer..... How many well-produced feature films were shot with the BMPCC? What "serious DOP and his crew" is going to select a $1295 BMPCC-II as an A-cam [yeah, I know, Soderbergh and his blessed iphone. But what does that prove?]?

If this new camera had offered IBIS, so much the better.

This is a "cinema" camera for people who, in overwhelming numbers, won't be making cinema. But want to own it anyway, for whatever reason. No feature which improves production value, particularly for unaccompanied shooters, is unwelcome

Adam Prest

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:44 am

My questions about the BMPCC 4k:

Can it run off USB C battery banks without an LP-e6 battery inside?
How does the autofocus work? Contrast based? Single Point?
What are the audio preamps like?
What are the stills like? are they DNG raw or just jpegs?

Mark Grgurev

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:08 am

John Paines wrote:How many well-produced feature films were shot with the BMPCC?

It was used for a few shots in Age of Ultron and Lights Out but I'm not sure of anything that used it as A-cam. I agree with you though. People get weirdly elitist about certain features.

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:34 am

Adam, I may be wrong but I don’t think the camera can run from the USB-C connector. It can run from the external power connector or the battery.

“The USB-C connection also handles power, so you can use a standard computer power supply or power pack to charge the internal battery!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 am

Iain wrote:Is this the first motion camera that you can take a proper still with the press of a shutter.

It isn't, but it IS the first one that is genuinely affordable.

I've done still photography with my camera... the results were stellar. I expect this little guy to do well with prints up to around 8x10 with its native resolution, which is enough for a lot of magazines, though not for double page spreads.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Dwanehollands

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:11 am

Mind. Blown.

Rather than salivate all over the forum (trust me the temptation is real), I'll just point out ANOTHER feature that is amazing. Being able to store 10 custom luts on a camera this cheap, is a DOP's dream!
Dwane Hollands

Pocket 6K | BMMCC | BMPCC

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
ASUS Rog Strix X670E-F GAMING WIFI motherboard | AM5 Socket
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X | 16 Core | 4.5Ghz base clock | 128GB RAM
8TB M.2 (7,000MB's read)
AMD Vega 56 8GB Gpu (22.11.2 driver)
(Studio)

Justin Jackson

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 am

So.. I have been wanting to buy one of these BM cameras for years now, and kept having to skip over them (usually my wife said no). After reading the specs, I got my lawyer to get my divorce papers ready... I pre-ordered this. Wanted Ursa Mini Pro... this will suffice.

As another poster said.. most of us that buy this are not shooting movies/tv. It is more about wanting (or thinking we might be able to). But, as I tell my wife.. I cant do anything without the tools ready to go. At least if I have the tool, I can offer my services.. however bad they may be.

I am currently using an Atomos Ninja Inferno monitor, which supports 4K 60fps HDMI input and records to ProRes or DNxHR at 10-bit 60fps or less. I am hoping that the HDMI output will allow me to capture a clean uncompressed output. More so, the Ninja monitor can record ProRes RAW from select cameras.. so I am hoping there is an update to support this camera (and that it can put that out over HDMI).

So given that the current pocket cinema supports DNxHR.. I am still a bit dumbfounded why this supports ProRes, and not DNxHR out of the box. DNxHR works on all platforms, ProRes is clunky on Windows and Linux. DNxHR is an open standard.. and does just as well as ProRes.. so why continue to support ProRes? Costs money to do so. More so, the current crop of laptops from Apple are awful compared to the latest coming out for Windows. You get a lot more ram, power, and options on the PC/Windows side of things. It boggles the mind...

I am really curious if you can record 12-bit raw cinemadng over USB-C. I assume if you can.. which is fantastic, you wont be able to charge the camera at the same time, so you will need some sort of battery rig (which I fortunately invested in). That said, I bought the g-tek 1TB SSD and external reader (writer). I am curious if this new camera could use the external drive (which requires USB-C to power it) to record to the same SSD I use on my atomos.. but record 12-bit RAW to it. I assume the SSD at 550MB/s write should be plenty fast.

I am also wondering if the metabones adapter will fit this, as I have Canon EF glass and will want to use those.. but more so, if it gives the 1 stop boos and better crop reduction, all the more reason to buy that for this camera.

I just hope I can fit an hour of video at 12-bit 4K 60fps RAW on to a 1TB SSD!!

And, as a few others said.. that you get the $600 bundle of Resolve and Fusion (for some reason people forget that Fusion was ALSO $300.. now it is in Resolve for the one price of $300), so really you are paying $700 for this camera vs $1000 for the older HD version that didnt include resolve studio.

I am also wondering, as someone else said.. the current 4K camera that looks like their original 2.5K.. that sensor is not that good. This new camera looks to be quite a big improvement on that camera.. and yet that one costs $2000.. so will they basically stop bothering to make that now that they have a better sensor and more bells/whistles on this one for 1/2 the price?
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Savannah Miller

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:16 am

Adam Prest wrote:My questions about the BMPCC 4k:

What are the stills like? are they DNG raw or just jpegs?

- Likely no, but LP-e6 are cheap so buying just one isn't a huge deal.

- Contrast based and likely very slow. And not continuous so almost not worth using. The addition of the thumb press record button was weird because this is not a great camera to vlog with.

- They are the same preamps in the Video Assist 4K which are also in the Ursa Mini Pro. So a huge improvement over the Ursa Mini 4.6K and very useable. Maybe not high-end sound recorder quality, but very good.

- What are the stills like? are they DNG raw or just jpegs?

They should be CDNG. I don't believe there will any jpegs at all. AFAIK Blackmagic has never put a nice colored image into one of their cameras and the Video looks that all of the cameras have is a low-dynamic range mode only intended to be used in broadcast scenarios and match other broadcast cameras and standards.

JustinWoo

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:28 am

So OF COURSE I just sold all my old Canon batteries for a song to my friend, and then this gets announced!! Ah, well. :)

Thoughts:

12-bit RAW 4K 60 fps for $1300. Unbelievable. If Blackmagic delivers, this really sets the bar for the mirrorless / DSLR video industry. It won't satiate folks looking for that full frame look, but I don't think it was intended to.

I feel people about the lack of IBIS. I own a GH5 with IBIS and it's really great. But I've also been looking for a B-cam, and was initially eyeing the GH5S for its lowlight, fixed sensor, built in V-LOG, and the easy match with my existing GH5. Again, if Blackmagic delivers, the GH5S will be near irrelevant (at least in my eyes). I'll deal with the extra grade matching issues in post, no problem, if it means I can save over $1000 on a new camera body.

I really want to know how much the EF adapter will cost. Anyone have any thoughts on that? One of the problems with buying a new camera body, for me, is the added cost of getting a crazy-expensive Metabones EF adapter. A GH5S, for me, wouldn't be a $2500 investment - it would be a $3150 investment. I need to keep using my Canon glass - I like it, it works for me, and I've spent enough money on the system that I don't want to abandon it for MFT glass that I can't put on any other cameras. But if Blackmagic releases a cheap adapter (particularly one with decent speedboosting glass), then I'll be sitting pretty.

If those built in mics are good, that'll be really nice for when I'm running and gunning.

Excited for the large touch screen. I have a basic 4K Elvid 7" monitor for my GH5 and it's really nice to have for checking focus, framing my shot, etc. But it's too cumbersome to mount when I'm shooting handheld (I don't have a shoulder rig... yet.) Having a 5" touchscreen right on the back will be great. I hope it works well in sunlight but 80% of my shooting is done indoors so I'll be fine.

Can't wait for September!

Denny Smith

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:49 am

So given that the current pocket cinema supports DNxHR..
Justin Jackson

Justin, no where in the original Pocket camera specs does it say the camera can shoot DNxHR,
“Shooting Resolutions
Lossless CinemaDNG RAW, Apple ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, and ProRes 422 Proxy at
1920 x 1080.”

I think the Pocket camera did shoot DNxHD shortly after its release, but not DNxHR. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:53 am

Savannah Miller wrote:
Adam Prest wrote:but LP-e6 are cheap

I wouldn't call 70€ for a single battery to be cheap.
Esecially since you would probably want yet another charger for this new type and not stick with just 1 battery.

As for power+USB-C at the same time, using the 12-20V input with the included power supply or any dual NP-F to 12V setup should work.

I too am looking forward to what USB can do in terms of remote control.
The original 2.5K camera, you could connect via Thunderbolt to a laptop and use that as a giant scope/preview. Not shure what the USA operating syste allows via USB.

Que Thompson

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:54 am

I’m surprised someone hasn’t created a “BMPCC Pro requests” thread yet.

Thought #1
For me this camera offers a look that is only achieved by cameras 20x it’s cost. The look is what draws. Sure a GH5s is nice, ibis is nice, but Panasonic cameras (up to varicam) look like video. You have to skillfully degrade the image to get something that even comes close to Blackmagic.

Thought #2
I’m almost upset it’s so inexpensive. I suppose it’s how “real” cinematographers felt when the 5d Mark II hit the scene. Everyone has access to a gorgeous image. For nothing. This will be some kids first camera.... lol. However, I think most will buy and realize that their computer can’t handle the files or that the file sizes will be too big or even that having the best brush and best colors doesn’t make you Picasso. You still have to choose your canvas and paint. If you can do that, it doesn’t matter what anyone says (including me).

Thought #3
To those arguing specs for a $1295 camera.. You gotta relax. There’s nothing to compare it to within $4000. Relax.

Savannah Miller

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:57 am

MarcusWolschon wrote:
Savannah Miller wrote:

I see some on amazon going for under $15 US so that's pretty cheap to me. In fact the #1 recommended on Amazon is only $13.99

Savannah Miller

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:04 am

It's already a #1 Seller on B&H. I hope Blackmagic sells these like crazy.

Craig Marshall

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:42 am

Que Thompson wrote:Thought #2
I’m almost upset it’s so inexpensive. I suppose it’s how “real” cinematographers felt when the 5d Mark II hit the scene.

Yeah, sure....
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Tomas Stacewicz

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:52 am

Thank you Blackmagic Design for developing such a marvel of a camera.

But if I may humbly suggest, many of us who owns the currect BMPCC have invested in classic or contemporary glass fitted for the Super 16 (or Standard 16) mm gate. Would it be to much to include a Super 16 mm crop inside the menue? That would make it a definitive winner in the small format factor class of cinema cameras.

Thank you.
Camera
BMPCC
Zenit Meteor 5-1
LOMO OKS 3-10-1

Workstation
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 12.5.4.019
ASUS X99-A
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:56 am

Tomas Stacewicz wrote:Thank you Blackmagic Design for developing such a marvel of a camera.

But if I may humbly suggest, many of us who owns the currect BMPCC have invested in classic or contemporary glass fitted for the Super 16 (or Standard 16) mm gate. Would it be to much to include a Super 16 mm crop inside the menue? That would make it a definitive winner in the small format factor class of cinema cameras.

Thank you.

Sounds like a very reasonable suggestion for ProRes.

grubezebro

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 7:38 am

Perfect camera. My only doubt is lack of the anamorphic desqueeze. Does this feature really needs so much processing power that can't be present here? Buying external monitor is not something many people on a budget can afford (and this is what this camera is about).
Last edited by grubezebro on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Cox

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 am

The price is remarkably good for what you get.

As for batteries: I wonder if it would have been smarter to choose the same type battery as popular micro 4/3 cameras; the GH5, GH5s, and GH4. Making the switch would be a no brainer for users of those camera bodies since they'd already have multiple lenses and batteries to fit.
Why go with the Canon battery? What made it a better choice?
Wielding a Pocket Cinema Camera from a wheelchair.

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 am

Christopher Cox wrote:The price is remarkably good for what you get.

As for batteries: I wonder if it would have been smarter to choose the same type battery as popular micro 4/3 cameras; the GH5, GH5s, and GH4. Making the switch would be a no brainer for users of those camera bodies since they'd already have multiple lenses and batteries to fit.
Why go with the Canon battery? What made it a better choice?

My suggestion would have been to go with Sony NP-F.
They are extremely common, cheap and you get them in various sizes depending on your shooting situation that day.
That would have resulted in a handheld camcorder form-factor with the battery in the back and a flip-out screen on the side that is
more ergonomic for video then a DSLM/DSLR held in front of your face with outstreched hands
and in-line with the shape of the URSA lineup.
It would have been long enough, so a quick-release plate can be mounted in a way that does not allow the camera to turn off-axis on the single bolt.
(And to use 2.5" SATA the way VHS-C was used back in the days.)

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:36 am

Tomas, the raw HD window with this sensor is going to be small. 8.89x5mm. The ‘crop’ versus 135 film will be 4.05x which is a greater crop than the original BMPCC at 2.88x. The price of shooting DCI 4K with a MFT sensor. I think most folks will shoot 4K/UHD and then scale it down to HD if they deliver in that size.

I haven’t heard if the ProRes can shoot with the open gate sensor AOV but record in HD they way things are done on the URSA Mini 4.6K/Pro. Open gate though is 4096x2160 so some pixels at the sides would be truncated. Haven’t seen anyone say the camera has a 2K window since only HD mentioned.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:39 am

Simon Westland has said the weight of the carbon fiber polycarbonate body is only 750 grams or roughly 1 lb 10 oz. The Slashcam interview is very good.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 am

On the ProAV TV interview with Richard Payne, he mentions the dual ISO as 800 and 3200 so I’m concluding he means the ‘native’ ISO in each range. Good to know that if you want the greatest dynamic range in each range with well controlled noise.

Edit
Another reviewer TheUnlockr mentions dual ISO with 400 and 3200. Bob Caniglia on the INDIE Shooter interview also mentions 400 and 3200 so perhaps Richard is incorrect.

Edit
The B&H Photo review shows a BMD information card that documents the dual sensor as 400 and 3200 ISO. That’s finally resolved.

Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 am

Deleted.

Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:59 am

It would be great if the usb connector allowed you to control the camera. That would open up wireless control by using wireless USB.

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:It would be great if the usb connector allowed you to control the camera. That would open up wireless control by using wireless USB.

It already has Bluetooth. Now that Bluetooth OR and kind of wireless USB could be reliable in a multicam shot during an crowded event. (like...an interview at NAB)

See:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/de/med ... 0170622-02

However I can not find any App by BlackmagicDesign in the Google Play Store.

Here is the Bluetooth documentation but it seems nobody implemented that in an Android app or Windows desktop program yet.
http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/D ... ontrol.pdf
It would be fun to do that but without a camera or a camera-emulation I can't.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:21 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:
Savannah Miller wrote:

I wouldn't call 70€ for a single battery to be cheap.
Esecially since you would probably want yet another charger for this new type and not stick with just 1 battery.

You clearly looking into the wrong vendors if you pay €70... BMD sells them for 35..
LP-E6 bmd.png
LP-E6 bmd.png (50.27 KiB) Viewed 31481 times
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
MarcusWolschon wrote:You clearly looking into the wrong vendors if you pay €70... BMD sells them for 35..
LP-E6 bmd.png

I was looking at Canon original prices.
Blackmagic is on the wrong continent and of cause shows prices without taxes.
CVP lists: "CANON LP-E6N BATTERY (1800MAH)" for £72 (£60+VAT)

Update: Sorry, LP-E6N seem to be more expensive then the older LP-E6
Last edited by MarcusWolschon on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi.

I am as exited as you over to new Pocket Cinema Camera 4K.

But there are some thing I don't Understand?

Do you expect that the 5" lcd to be the same as on the URSA Mini 4.6K/Pro?
It then will be bright, but I think that I will need an additional solution for shooting in direct sunlight.

Will it be possible to mount a sun hood. May be one similar to the one I use on my URSA Mini 4.6K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-7-5-5-Sunhoo ... 41bf2e6a43

But then I think that I will need a shoulder rig. Do you think a camera rig with the z-shape profile going up and not down from my shoulder will fit the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K with above sun hood?

Or shall consider a small HDMI monitor or EVF.

Is there any power out connector for external accessories on the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K?

Is there any way to turn off the 5" LCD to save power while using a small HDMI monitor or EVF?

What kind of signal is coming out of the full size HDMI connector. Is it pure video or do it also have all the operating ICONs. Or may be it is switchable?

If you attend NAB 2018, may be you can find out more.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:40 pm

We had the same problem with the original 2.5K cinema camera.
A fixed screen tilted slightly upward. Inpossible to use outdoor in summer.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:50 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:
Xtreemtec wrote:
MarcusWolschon wrote:You clearly looking into the wrong vendors if you pay €70... BMD sells them for 35..
LP-E6 bmd.png

I was looking at Canon original prices.
Blackmagic is on the wrong continent and of cause shows prices without taxes.
CVP lists: "CANON LP-E6N BATTERY (1800MAH)" for £72 (£60+VAT)

Update: Sorry, LP-E6N seem to be more expensive then the older LP-E6

https://www.teltec.de/swit-s-8pe6.html
https://www.videodata.de/shop/products/ ... ttery.html €32,65 in Germany ;) 8-)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:01 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:
Gene Kochanowsky wrote:It would be great if the usb connector allowed you to control the camera. That would open up wireless control by using wireless USB.

It already has Bluetooth. Now that Bluetooth OR and kind of wireless USB could be reliable in a multicam shot during an crowded event. (like...an interview at NAB)

Marcus, I'm talking about the BMPCC2 not the BMUMP. There is no mention of wireless control in the tech specs listed by BM for the BMPCC2.

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:
MarcusWolschon wrote:

Marcus, I'm talking about the BMPCC2 not the BMUMP. There is no mention of wireless control in the tech specs listed by BM for the BMPCC2.

Bluetooth was mentioned during the NAB livestream. I assume it's the same protocol.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:03 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:Bluetooth was mentioned during the NAB livestream. I assume it's the same protocol.

I see it now. It's not listed in the specs but in the technical camera description.
Last edited by Gene Kochanowsky on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:
MarcusWolschon wrote:Bluetooth was mentioned during the NAB livestream. I assume it's the same protocol.

Marcus, perhaps they were referring to the UMP.

I don't remember anything about the URSA Mini Pro during this year's NAB live stream.
Last edited by MarcusWolschon on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:06 pm

I guess it will be the same protocol and even the same App to run both cameras.. ;)

Because that is also easier for developers to support more models.. And less rebuild software time @ BMD becuase they use the same software piece for that. ;)

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:06 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:
Gene Kochanowsky wrote:

Marcus, perhaps they were referring to the UMP.

What was the UMP again?

How soon they forget when there is a new toy in town.

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:I guess it will be the same protocol and even the same App to run both cameras..

They already use the same protocoll in the SAME camera on SDI and Bluetooth and the Pocket 4K uses the same operating system as the URSA (different from the original Pocket and the BMPC4K/BMCC2.5K)

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:09 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:How soon they forget when there is a new toy in town.

I never gave any URSA much thought because I'm heavily invested in MFT lenses and MFT bodies.

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:I guess it will be the same protocol and even the same App to run both cameras..

Did you find the app?
I couldn't find ANY app with Blackmagicdesign as manufacturer in the Play Store and no app or even Java/Kotlin sample code in the DEVELOPER-section of the Blackmagic website.
Just that one PDF.

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Kim Janson wrote: The problem with these solutions is the touch screen. Is it possible to use the camera witout the touch screen?

Hi.

No, I don't think you can operate the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K without the touch screen. But the sun hood in my link, have a opening for your fingers on the lower side. You can see it on the 2nd slide if you zoom in.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

John Paines

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:32 pm

rick.lang wrote:The B&H Photo review shows a BMD information card that documents the dual sensor as 400 and 3200 ISO. That’s finally resolved.

Do you have a link?

Other unknowns(?) -- is 1080p 24fps windowed or down-sampled (as opposed to 120fps)? Looks like there's false color, but no mention in the spec sheet?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:00 pm

UMP says>>

External Control

Blackmagic SDI Control Protocol, iPad control, Bluetooth control, 2 x 2.5mm LANC for lens and record control.

Maybe not available for the phone?? Not sure..

Just did a test with my Ursa Broadcast camera.. Put bluetooth on.. But my Iphone 6 wont find it.. So who knows.. Maybe still in development..

Mapas Depique

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 pm

I agree that to be able to turn of the touchscreen when using an external monitor would be great for the battery lifetime.

Can someone explain a bit more the 120fps windowed mode ? Maybe its something already out in another BM cam, but im not really familiar with this ! Thanks in advance

However what a great release again from BM !

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Mapas Depique wrote: I agree that to be able to turn of the touchscreen when using an external monitor would be great for the battery lifetime.

Can someone explain a bit more the 120fps windowed mode ? Maybe its something already out in another BM cam

Hi. Mapas.

Yes it will be nice to be able to turn the 5" LCD off when using an external monitor. But there must be a way to turn it on again. May be when you turn the Camera Power OFF. or May be if you take out the battery.

I also have the the 120fps windowed mode in my URSA Mini 4,6K, but never used it. Expect you can find more about it in the URSA Mini 4,6K manual.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Denny Smith

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Marcus, BM selected the Canon LPE-6/N (both versions will work, the N will last a little longer) because they are already using it on the Micro Cameras. The Sony NP would have been a better choice for the Micro camerss (larger batteries available) but would not work well on a handgrip/battery slot being used in the new BMPCC 2.

Yes, the new camera is kind of between the two original cameras, the BMCC (smaller design less square looking) and the Pocket (somewhat larger, with a hand grip/battery holder added, which was often requested in several threads. So we got an update for both cameras in one. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Did anyone hear if there was any kind of time code sync supported in the camera?

Found the answer:

Analog Audio Inputs
1 x mini XLR analog switchable between mic with phantom power support and line level (up to +14dBu).
1 x 3.5mm Stereo Input. Can also be used for Timecode input.
Last edited by Gene Kochanowsky on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography