Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Is Fusion Stand Alone, still alive?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Helge Tjelta

Is Fusion Stand Alone, still alive?

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi, with Fusion now being inside Resolve as a page, will it still live outside as a stand alone application.

or do we now have to use resolve all the time... more like Smoke :)

Theodor Groeneboom

Re: Is Fusion Stand Alone, still alive?

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 6:20 pm

A Fusion stand alone still makes a lot of sense for people using existing pipelines; like those in VFX.

Fusion/Resolve isn't a one stop shop in that context. Perhaps we as VFX and Fusion users should make our voices heard?

Kel Philm

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm

I am happy to wait and see the implementation first. With my software engineer/compositor hat on it concerns me that there is a lot of additional stuff in Resolve that I will most likely hardly ever use but if it is stable, still as usable and runs as fast or faster then I really cant complain. Its a big move by BM, especially if stand alone Fusion is no more, but they are not afraid to shake things up, thats for sure.

Kristof Indeherberge

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 6:54 pm

RIP

Thomas Martin

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:04 pm

One problem is the more advanced hardware needed to run Resolve. I think Fusion even runs on small notebooks without proper GPU beyond that of Intel Graphics. Nevertheless, I am sure that the standalone has not chance to survive.
Last edited by Thomas Martin on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Uzan

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:05 pm

I bought it with Resolve in january, and I feel a little ripped.
My main use is only in link with Resolve, so now I have no use of it :|

Thomas Martin

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:11 pm

Alex Uzan wrote:I bought it with Resolve in january, and I feel a little ripped.

I understand your complaint. However, this happens all the time whenever you buy something
that is on sale only some months later.

Vladimir LaFortune

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:13 pm

We've called this would happen over a year ago.

Kristof Indeherberge

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:20 pm

We? Royal we, meaning just you?

Jeff Ha

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Any new features within Fusion, or what this cycle just about forcing Fusion into Resolve? Confused still.

#keepAFusionStandalone.

Kel Philm

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 11:44 pm

BlackMagic,

Perhaps you could chime in an let us know what is going on? Just a thought?

Chad Capeland

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Kel Philm wrote:BlackMagic,

Perhaps you could chime in an let us know what is going on? Just a thought?

We've done no market research in this, we never do; user studies or, you know, any of that stuff. So, you know, we have no idea of what's gonna happen. We just do these things and think it sounds right.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Vladimir LaFortune

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:04 am

Kristof Indeherberge wrote:We? Royal we, meaning just you?

We, meaning active users on this forum.

Bryan Ray

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 12:48 am

As an active user on this forum, please do not speak for me. :D
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Vladimir LaFortune

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 am

Bryan Ray wrote:As an active user on this forum, please do not speak for me. :D

Called it as in predicted it, not that any of us actually wanted this. I have no clue who would have wanted a fully featured compositor in container that's already full of stuff. I feel bad for Resolve users as their UI really has no where else to go but to be all over the place. And then there is redundant stuff between Fusion and Color tabs such as blurring, cloning, coloring, etc.

Bryan Ray

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:10 am

I didn't predict it, either. My expectation was a shared license. It surprises me that the integration has happened as fast as it did—I would have thought that they'd get the scripting API in there and well tested before attempting it.
Bryan Ray

Sam Treadway

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:00 am

I thought this would be cool until I realized there isn't a way to create a shot / element from scratch without having to import media from disk first.

The only workaround I can think of is to render out a 5 minute slug at every possible resolution, import one of those into the media pool, create a timeline and make sure to set the frame rate, place the media in the timeline, and then cut it to the length I need....click on the Fusion tab and completely bypass the media just so I can create a background node and start merging particles, 3d elements, or text.

Also, it looks as if all my OFX plugins aren't supported yet. They appear on the edit and color pages but not in Fusion.

Chris North

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 7:05 am

The Foundry and Adobe must be breathing a sigh of relief. Let's face it, Fusion has been ditched as a VFX product, at least within Resolve. Just what we need - another Autodesk Smoke.

Go on, BM. Keep it standalone and ditch the crippled U.I... you know you want to :-)
Last edited by Chris North on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stefan Kirste

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 7:32 am

#keepAFusionStandalone. !!!

George Deierling

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am

Alex Uzan wrote:I bought it with Resolve in january, and I feel a little ripped.

Apparently Resolve now runs with the Fusion dongle, so if you have both Fusion and Resolve, now you have a second dongle to use. I don't know how Blackmagic does it... back in those days we spent $40k on Avid media composer. Hats off to them, they are making history.

Sam Steti

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 8:39 am

So far both of your dongles work for Resolve 15 Studio (meaning Fusion 13 studio dongle too). You're far from screwed, you just have 2 working dongles (and it would even be easy to sell in case of this is what you'd like to)...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Peter Cordes

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:06 am

Chris North wrote: Just what we need - another Autodesk Smoke.

Yes ...

but it's like a "smoke on windows" ... a thing, autodesk has slept through. :-)

Thanks.
Peter

Sam Treadway

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:41 am

From a source on another forum:

"Daniel said yesterday that they are preparing the next version of standalone Fusion (RealFusion) with the new UI style and some other stuff. No ETA yet but it is happening."

Kel Philm

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 am

Joshua Helling wrote:Hey all,

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Be assured we are reading the forums and we can understand there is a little frustration here as we haven’t really commented. That’s primarily because we have some positive news coming.

Please bear with us as we have details to iron out.

I'm calling this out from a while ago when users were asking for decent support, bugs to be fixed, interaction on the forums, some direction from BM.

If they think the Positive news is this integration into Resolve then we are all in serious shyte.

Integrating into Resolve gives nothing to Fusion users other than it appears to have taken resources away from fixing the myriad of problems a lot of users are experiencing now. I get crash every 15-20 minutes on average, support have done F'all to help, this forum is empty of any sort of BM involvement and without the community here Fusion would have been in the doldrums long ago. The Foundry must have just breathed a big sigh of relief.

I am angry because this is a good product being mismanaged, if BM aren't prepared to at least afford us the decency of some communication then release the source code into the public domain so we can get on with the job of keeping Fusion relevant.

Usually my rants are followed by a big egg on the face moment, I pray that this is the case.

Thomas Martin

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:09 am

Sam Treadway wrote:From a source on another forum:

"Daniel said yesterday that they are preparing the next version of standalone Fusion (RealFusion) with the new UI style and some other stuff. No ETA yet but it is happening."

What makes me sceptical is that Fusion dongles can now be used for Resolve 15. If there is a future for the standalone then we get Resolve Studio for free ? Of course, I am not complaining about getting Resole on top and I hope BMD will not change its mind.

catizone

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:28 am

As probably the newest user, and admittedly one who isn't doing any high-volume daily production with it, I would hope that stand-alone will always be available.

It is an amazing piece of software, and runs on my laptop as well as my tower. I haven't read about the merger/implementation, but I hope it is not the case as with so many previous wonderful software programs that it becomes compromised or disappears.

Best,
Rick

Alaz Soytemiz

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:58 am

How the network rendering works now for huge comps?

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Processor: Intel i7-6800K 3.40GHz
Ram: 128GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Disks: Samsung SSD 970 PRO, Intel® SSD 750 Series (400GB, 1/2 Height PCIe 3.0, 20nm, MLC)

Marin Goleminov

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 pm

I was betting high on Fusion to become my secret weapon for all things motion graphics and a comp tool for complex illustrations mixing 3D with various other elements. I spent a substantial amount of learning time (and of course some money) since last year just to lay a solid foundation for me, and I just started feeling confident enough to use Fusion as the artistic tool that it can be. I am this close to start some lobbying within my company in order to incorporate Fusion for future motion graphics projects.

It all falls to pieces if they let the stand alone version die. Please correct me, but would the 80% of the Resolve editors use more than 20% of what Fu has to offer? If not, will BMD keep that "ballast" around for ever? Of course this is speculative but speculations happen when companies keep radio silence.

Just to be clear: Fusion within Resolve does not make a lot of sense to me. My emerging workflow clearly uses Fu stand alone, and I have no desire for additional tabs, pages and GUI widgets that just take up space. I also miss the flexible I/O. Not to speak about the computer resources allocated to the dormant parts of Resolve (there would be some, wouldn't they?)

If BMD decides to keep Fusion alive as a stand alone product and gives us a stable, speedy update I'll stay around, of course. Looking forward to some clarification.

Justin Jackson

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Holy crap forum users.. relax. Some of you are calling the death of Fusion, Resolve, BMD.. they just announced it and it is in beta. Give them some time to respond. They are still at NAB and no doubt are swamped with people there too.

I for one wanted it integrated. I hate the work flow of exporting, then re-importing.. at least if you are a pure resolve/fusion work flow. I do see that for those using Fusion with other editors, youll want to keep it stand alone. I cant imagine that it is not possible as they obviously already have all that plumbing in place. If they do decide to kill it off, knowing BM, I suspect they will take advantage of both products capabilities and do what they can to reduce the application resource needs so that loading Resolve with fusion is as fast as fusion alone, requires less resources than resolve originally did, etc.

The biggest thing BM needs is more support/tutorials around both Resolve and Fusion. They need an Andrew Kramer for the two products that really step up the tutorials on how to use Fusion, and now Fusion in Resolve, etc. That put AE on the map... I know dozens of people that only use AE for simple fun things because of Video Copilots and Kramer. Me included.

Give them some time to iron things out and respond.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Sam Treadway wrote:I thought this would be cool until I realized there isn't a way to create a shot / element from scratch without having to import media from disk first.
I agree it's convoluted, but it doesn't have to be media from disk. You can use the Resolve Effects Library to generate a solid color on the Edit page. Then create a compound clip from the generated clip. Now on the fusion page you can delete the MediaIn node and use whatever you like. Not sure how to change the duration of the clip after it's been created though. If I change it on the Edit page it's not reflected in the Fusion page.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 7:04 pm

They need an Andrew Kramer for the two products that really step up the tutorials on how to use Fusion, and now Fusion in Resolve, etc.

For that option to be attractive for someone you'd have to be certain that there *is* a product by the next year. It's absolutely clear that Adobe is heavily invested in the succes of After Effects. It releases forward looking statements, shows previews etc.
Right now there is no official word from BMD that Fusion will still exist in two years time. They're not saying there won't be. They're not saying anything. You can't build a business be it VFX or VFX Tutorials based on uncertainty.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Helge Tjelta

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 7:48 pm

From RedsharkNews:

When I asked whether Fusion was end of life as a standalone product, Blackmagic USA President Dan May clarified. Resolve 15 will not include the entire feature set of Fusion. Rather, as Dan put it, Fusion will contain a superset of Resolve 15 Fusion functionality. Fusion, then, will continue as a standalone product both in its paid and free versions. Note, though, that beginning with Resolve 15, a Fusion dongle will also unlock Blackmagic Studio giving those users who purchased Fusion an extra Resolve seat.

So, I'm happy. ;)

Link; https://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/5404-nab-2018-has-been-full-of-big,-industry-changing-surprises

robert_capper

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Thank you for posting! Amazing news!

Marin Goleminov

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks Helge, that's uplifting news :)

Dan Michael Hodges

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:12 pm

I think this is ultimately a good thing. I've made ( and still make) huge investments in Foundry products and I think the most potentially game changing product was Nuke Studio. Unfortunately, Nuke Studio's rollout, support and slow development basically crashed the plane on takeoff and it has never recovered or become the tool we had all hoped. I think BMD was really paying attention and saw the opportunity.

I think this is a great step for both Resolve and Fusion development. As a result of this integration I've been tempted to consider, for the first time, Fusion over Nuke. And I don't think I'm alone in that.

I'd say as long as the standalone Fusion remains untouched the future looks pretty bright for both.
HARDWARE: 2X Intel Xeon X5680 with 48GB Ram
GRAPHICS: Geforce GTX980Ti v384.69
PLAYBACK: SDI 4K

Alaz Soytemiz

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Helge Tjelta wrote:From RedsharkNews:

When I asked whether Fusion was end of life as a standalone product, Blackmagic USA President Dan May clarified. Resolve 15 will not include the entire feature set of Fusion. Rather, as Dan put it, Fusion will contain a superset of Resolve 15 Fusion functionality. Fusion, then, will continue as a standalone product both in its paid and free versions. Note, though, that beginning with Resolve 15, a Fusion dongle will also unlock Blackmagic Studio giving those users who purchased Fusion an extra Resolve seat.

So, I'm happy. ;)

Link; https://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/5404-nab-2018-has-been-full-of-big,-industry-changing-surprises

Niceee

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Processor: Intel i7-6800K 3.40GHz
Ram: 128GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Disks: Samsung SSD 970 PRO, Intel® SSD 750 Series (400GB, 1/2 Height PCIe 3.0, 20nm, MLC)

Lucas Pfaff

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 pm

I wanted to get Fusion Studio for some time now, seems like I can buy one and sell my Resolve, that way it might be quite cheap to have both :)

Best,
Lucas

aRc Aurelia

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Alaz Soytemiz wrote:

So, I'm happy. ;)

Niceee

If those who purchased Fusion Stand Alone can now use their activation to get Resolve for free, Does this mean that those who Purchased Davinci Resolve (Instead of Fusion) should be able to use our Resolve Activation keys for stand alone fusion?

Jeff Ha

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:44 pm

So is it the other way around too? Will a Resolve dongle unlock a full Fusion in the future too? Asking as I think we have 2 dongles, not installed yet

daniel.partzsch

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:41 am

Jeff Ha wrote:So is it the other way around too? Will a Resolve dongle unlock a full Fusion in the future too? Asking as I think we have 2 dongles, not installed yet
My company also just bought Resolve Studio and Fusion for me, however only Fusion came with a dongle. For resolve we only got a key. Does anyone know if this still means that I can use fusion and resolve then on two machines, without the need of switching the dongle all the time?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Jeff Ha

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Good to know. I assumed Resolve had dongles. Our IT is slow so it takes awhile for stuff to trickle down to us.

Alex Uzan

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 pm

George Deierling wrote:

Apparently Resolve now runs with the Fusion dongle, so if you have both Fusion and Resolve, now you have a second dongle to use. I don't know how Blackmagic does it... back in those days we spent $40k on Avid media composer. Hats off to them, they are making history.

That's good news :D
I was about to buy a second Resolve Studio licence.

I agree with you about BM.
What a wonderful company :)

Sjur Pollen

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 pm

So, I'm happy. ;)

This is a positive sign, but I wouldn't consider it an 100% official statement. Blackmagic representatives have on previous occasions been less than precise on similar topics (in similar settings), so I won't rest assured until they make such a statement explicitly in writing, through official channels. Hope we hear something soon.
-
Having Fusion inside Resolve seems like a great idea for smaller operations like retouching and simple motion graphics. For a generalist indie guy like me that part of it is brilliant. However, killing the stand alone application would be a travesty for so many reasons it makes me downright sad contemplating it. I don't really belive the developers would fail to realize that.

When even Ton Roosendaal (Blender) acknowledges the downsides to cramming everything into one single piece of software, one should hope that understanding also exists within the blackmagic team.
http://www.sjurpollen.com

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 3:24 pm

No Film School reporter has asked Grant Petty about the stand-alone Fusion. Grant's answer is a bit vague, but it is slightly reassuring, at least for the time being.

This is what he said:
It kind of still is. I mean, there might be something in there, I think the network rendering is something that people might want.

Still not a lot of details of course, but at least it sheds a bit more light on the situation.
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

Maurizio Zappettini

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Sjur Pollen wrote:

Dan May’s statement regarding Fusion in Resolve containing a partial set of tools is conflicting with what I heard at NAB. I spoke with two Blackmagic representatives that were giving Fusion demos and both said that Fusion in Resolve contains the complete toolset plus a more modern architecture under the hood. Has anybody on here compared the two versions in detail yet? Just curious at this point, since the two conflicting statements.

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Maurizio Zappettini wrote:Dan May’s statement regarding Fusion in Resolve containing a partial set of tools is conflicting with what I heard at NAB. I spoke with two Blackmagic representatives that were giving Fusion demos and both said that Fusion in Resolve contains the complete toolset plus a more modern architecture under the hood. Has anybody on here compared the two versions in detail yet? Just curious at this point, since the two conflicting statements.

As far as I understand, at least for the time being, Fusion in Resolve doesn't include the entire feature set of stand-alone Fusion. For instance, Plugins and Fuses are still not working in Resolve's Fusion.

Another thing that a lot of Fusion users have noticed is that, because Resolve'e Fusion has to be tied to some media from the media pool, you can't just open it and start playing with tools, like Background or Fast Noise, and create something out of that. You have to start with a clip from the media pool. Of course that clip can be a simple black background converted into a compound clip, but it is still a difference in the workflow.

There might be other things that hasn't been discovered yet.
System specs:

Bryan Ray

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Abdelrahman Magdy wrote:For instance, Plugins and Fuses are still not working in Resolve's Fusion.

Fuses work to some degree. I tried my MultiMerge Fuse out in Resolve, and the automatic input creation feature worked. It didn't actually give me a frame, though, so some investigation into making Fuses Resolve compatible needs to be done.

Primatte was removed from the Resolve version due to licensing. Other than that and the Loaders and Savers, all of the other tools that ship with Fusion 9 are contained in Resolve. There may, however, be more Fusion features in the future that won't work in Resolve.
Bryan Ray

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:
Abdelrahman Magdy wrote:For instance, Plugins and Fuses are still not working in Resolve's Fusion.

Fuses work to some degree. I tried my MultiMerge Fuse out in Resolve, and the automatic input creation feature worked. It didn't actually give me a frame, though, so some investigation into making Fuses Resolve compatible needs to be done.

Primatte was removed from the Resolve version due to licensing. Other than that and the Loaders and Savers, all of the other tools that ship with Fusion 9 are contained in Resolve. There may, however, be more Fusion features in the future that won't work in Resolve.
Really.. that's a bit of a good news.. I haven't tried the MultiMerge, tbh.

I know all the tools are working, and I understand the whole Primatte situation, but Peter mentioned in another post that other plugins are not working as well, atm. To be fair, though, he said they will look into it when they are done fixing general stability issues.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
System specs:

michael vorberg

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Abdelrahman Magdy wrote:This is what he said:
It kind of still is. I mean, there might be something in there, I think the network rendering is something that people might want.

rings more alarm bells then before for me! sounds like he didnt understand Fusion as a product at all, how its used, how versatile it is,how different workflow can be

when he talks about how nice the new UI design is... wth? who cares about the node design if i cant do work like i need to

Chad Capeland

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:41 pm

There's a ton of non-tool things not working. That's by design somewhat though. No Bins, network rendering, a bunch of display stuff is missing, not all the GUI stuff works, display scaling, formats, etc.. I doubt that will all be in place by the time it's released just because no one other than Fusion users want to wait that long.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com
Next

Return to Fusion