BMPCC4k Firmware Wishlist

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Craig Seeman

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 1:04 am

Time to wish for some things I "hope" they can do in firmware (not hardware because that's not going to change).

1) Slow shutter for time lapse

2) Electronic Image Stabilization... even if it means cropping in on sensor when enabled. It could make the camera more useful if you have to go handheld.

3) Auto Focus that tracks (depending on the lens of course. It just has to be passable enough to use on a gimbal. At times it can be hard to maintain critical focus if you're using a somewhat shallow DOF.

4) Disable the screen when attaching an external monitor... to save battery.

5) Waveform. I really prefer it to histogram.

6) ProRes Raw (obviously I'm an FCPX user).

Now you can start posting how these are all

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC4k Firmware Wishlist

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 1:28 am

Nice list. But Electronic image stabilization is a hardware device the holds the sensor, not a firmware upgrade, and it causes more issues with high end video than it solves, which is why Panasonic removed it from the GH5s, and to also allow the larger Sony sensor to fit in the GH5 body/MFT Mount. The new Pocket will work with lens IS, which is better for a video camera. In body stabilization is also always “on” even when Turned Off. ;)

Tracking Auto Focus is also a hardware feature that needs to be added at the time of the camera build.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Yue Shi Lai

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 2:20 am

Denny Smith wrote:Bit Electronic image stabilization is a hardware device the holds the sensor, not a firmware upgrade,

That is IBIS, or sensor shift. Versus "electronic", it still qualifies being "mechanical". I think what he meant is sometimes advertised as digital IS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization#Digital_image_stabilization.

Electronic IS is basically optical flow and cropping. This is much better done with raw in postproduction, as the computing capability of a tiny camera can never compete with desktop/server GPU with optical flow.

Craig Seeman

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:01 am

Yes EIS specifically, not IBIS.

The problem I had with stabilizing in post with the original Pocket is that the rolling shutter made it near useless. If it's still an issue I'm thinking an in camera algorithm might compensate for that. Some of the better optical flow plugins allow one to import or create such but I found they didn't really work on micro jitter rolling shutter artifacts.

Of course if the Pocket 4K rolling shutter is much improved, post stabilization might be viable. I'd love to see a DCI 4K rolling shutter test on a hand held shot.
Last edited by Craig Seeman on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Seeman

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:09 am

The camera does do push to focus so it seems it can adjust briefly. I was thinking there might be a means for a constant on state within limited ranges for very short intervals (despite the drain on the battery).

John Morris

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:56 am

Ability to use USB Audio interfaces via the USB-C connection might be useful. This may be easy if the URSA OS is based on Linux (which would already have the drivers available) maybe not so easy otherwise.
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
NVIDIA driver version 430.50
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005 1 GPU
Linux Mint 19.2

Cedric Akins

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:33 am

Craig Seeman wrote:Time to wish for some things I "hope" they can do in firmware (not hardware because that's not going to change).

2) Electronic Image Stabilization... even if it means cropping in on sensor when enabled. It could make the camera more useful if you have to go handheld.

3) Auto Focus that tracks (depending on the lens of course. It just has to be passable enough to use on a gimbal. At times it can be hard to maintain critical focus if you're using a somewhat shallow DOF.

I'm good with your list. However #5 doesn't work for me. I have gotten used to the histogram.

Piotr Podermanski

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 11:41 am

Craig Seeman wrote:Time to wish for some things I "hope" they can do in firmware (not hardware because that's not going to change).

I don't personally care much for 2), as said before, it is better to do it in davinci with all the extra options, and the result will be better.
Other options are great, especially some kind of usable autofocus. Or at least a kind of programable "rack focus" as was implemented in Magic Lantern.
And I too miss, in BMPCC, slow shutter for time lapse, light streaks, extreme low-light, fx. It often forces me to drag 5D around.

I would also add:

7) Selectable push zoom ratio for focusing (200% 400%)
8) Push button option to quickly enable/disable a selected LUT (applying false colors, or some kind of grading for quick check/preview)

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks Yue and Craig, senior mement there, but as a Craig points out, the camera processor may not be big enough to handle in camera electronic stabilization. Time will tell. ;)

Piotr, there is a programmable button on the new camera, not sure if it can be set for LUT on/off.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Since the camera already does frame grabs, I would like to be able to superimpose a frame grab with the current video image so I can recreate a shot.

Craig Seeman

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Since the camera already does frame grabs, I would like to be able to superimpose a frame grab with the current video image so I can recreate a shot.

That would be very cool for shot matching (camera settings etc).

Craig Seeman

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Piotr Podermanski wrote:
I don't personally care much for 2), as said before, it is better to do it in davinci with all the extra options, and the result will be better.

Have you tried this with the original BMPCC? Again my experience is that the micro jitter rolling shutter makes post stabilization difficult. I haven't tried this in Resolve but can you build a rolling shutter camera profile? At the very least that would be a must. I've tried this is other software and while one can account for general rolling shutter skew, micro jitter is a problem. Please do let me know how you've handled it.

I suspect the BMPCC4K has significantly less rolling shutter but there's been nothing specifically indicated about that. Just enough EIS to get rid of micro jitter would even make post stabilization much easier.

TimSquires

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:18 pm

A slow shutter speed (like the 1/4s on the A7S) would be fun.
Although I think it would be a mistake to make any claims for “still photography features” (the GH5 et al are better hybrids)
Prores raw must be inevitable at some stage.
Very much only a “wishlist” as I’ve no reason to think it lacks anything substantive.
Tim Squires
UK

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:52 pm

This is not necessarily a new feature, but I would like the file naming convention to be the same as in the original pocket cinema camera, with the ability to include a user assigned camera name as part of the file name. For multi-camera shoots this would be a great boon when trying to figure out what is what when ingesting media.

michaeldhead

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Another recommendation:

False color scale when false color is turned on. Just a vertical line that lists the colors used from darkest to lightest on one side of the screen when the exposure tool is used would be incredibly useful.

Thank you!
Michael
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Tim Lota

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:35 pm

If not already on board:

- Zoom ratio select
- Screen disable (maybe even for user button)
- Auto-WB
- Audio-level via touchscreen-swipe
- XLR + Line (+ on board mics) at the same time (different channels)
- Proxy recording on 2nd slot (or USB)

Jim Froom

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Some way to use wifi or usb connection to remotely run camera with some of the base features for filming and camera settings like iso, fstop, start/stop, etc.
Jim Froom

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 9:41 pm

I hope it has less RS, then post stabilization is not much of a problem in Resolve.
When there is too much RS, Mercalli does a better job.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

roger.magnusson

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:33 pm

Jim Froom wrote:Some way to use wifi or usb connection to remotely run camera with some of the base features for filming and camera settings like iso, fstop, start/stop, etc.
That's what the Bluetooth chip and the Blackmagic Camera Control app is for.

Willem Timmersma

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:57 pm

An anamorphic mode would be great.

Justin Jackson

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 am

I didnt read there was bluetooth on it.. but if so, that has a limited range. I was wondering if you wanted to set up say 3 of these, and have all of them starting at the same time remotely, from a distance greater than bluetooth allows for would be cool.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Stu Aitken

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 am

there's no way it will ever have usable AF that tracks anything

it is very obvious BMD have nether the expertise or technology to do this - that is not a criticism, heck even sony and panasonic struggle to get it right and canon had to invent a whole new type of sensor HW to do it properly

just accept this :)

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 12:29 am

Stu, to be fair to BM, it is a cinema camera. It's not supposed to be auto anything. Be that as it may, I am with you with more automatic features like continuous auto focus, or continuous ISO. The classic cinema camera is great for the classic hollywood set where everything is controlled to the n'th degree, but I don't shoot that way and don't ever expect I will.

But don't get me wrong, I am very excited with the package BM has put together with this new camera. I am getting this camera. But I also eagerly await what Sony will do with the a7sIII. It is time they at least output 4:2:2 10bit if not record it internally. It's certainly not 12 bit raw, but getting closer.

Wayne Steven

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 6:20 am

Not much from my perspective. As long as we have push button auto set on any of the active shooting controls and extra latitude, more bits etc.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

MarcusWolschon

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Tim Lota wrote:If not already on board:
- XLR + Line (+ on board mics) at the same time (different channels)

Definately!
The mic-input can also be used to sync.
Hopefully that doesn't block both stereo signals on that port.

I have a Rode Stereo VideoMic X. Sad that I can't connect both mini-XLR.
But hopefully I can at least run sound via 3.5mm TRS and still phantom power the microphone.
(Or better yet run the second stereo signal together with LTC timecode into the TRS port while using mini XLR for power and the first stereo signal.)

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 3:04 pm

All this + False Color if it is not already there.
Also, make the battery gate removable to allow for BMD and/or 3rd Party battery grips add-on accessories.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 3:38 pm

+1 on the battery door/grip.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Captain Hook posted on BM Facebook, the door is battery is removable.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Bobby Lupo

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Willem Timmersma wrote:An anamorphic mode would be great.

+1 for anamorphic. And also a S16 windowed mode above 1080p.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:29 pm

I would also like to see a 2.xK actual S16 window, larger than the HD window, similar to the 2K window on the UM 4.6.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Piotr Podermanski

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 6:22 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:
Piotr Podermanski wrote:

Have you tried this with the original BMPCC? Again my experience is that the micro jitter rolling shutter makes post stabilization difficult. I haven't tried this in Resolve but can you build a rolling shutter camera profile? At the very least that would be a must. I've tried this is other software and while one can account for general rolling shutter skew, micro jitter is a problem. Please do let me know how you've handled it.

I suspect the BMPCC4K has significantly less rolling shutter but there's been nothing specifically indicated about that. Just enough EIS to get rid of micro jitter would even make post stabilization much easier.

I run a small test in Resolve and After Effects to compare. The footage is from 5D raw.
I guess the biggest issue is not the rolling shuter jitter, but motion blur, which, after stabilization is even more apparent. Like the two adjacent frames below, after stabilization:

blur-vs-noblur.jpg
blur-vs-noblur.jpg (497.72 KiB) Viewed 105279 times

Unfortunately, electronic stabilization won't be able, without a very strong processing power to remove the motion blur from the frames. Edit: oh, forgot Camera Shake Deblur in AE, will give it a try, one moment... ok.. it's the last video in the list.

I think the best option would be to use IS lens plus post stabilization using perspective or warp depending on the movement and subject. This would eliminate the ugly motion-blur-jitter, and PC would then be able to make it look really pretty. I didn't have any IS lens at hand to give it a try tho.

Here is warp stabilization in AE, with and without rolling shutter compensation. Which looks terrible, just because it's... well stabilized. So the motion blur is more visible.
https://vimeo.com/264479642/4cbb6d2d6b

And here is not-so-stable Resolve perspective stabilization, which looks better, because the blur seems more natural.
https://vimeo.com/264479648/d4db652b49

And here I added some more motion blur in Resolve, which makes the stabilized footage seem a bit better stabilized, since to our eyesight motion blur seems more natural:
https://vimeo.com/264479653/200f687c5f

And here is AE warp stabilization with "reduce camera shake" effect added (no tweaking just default values). It Did a quite nice job with the background, but introduced a lot of artefacts to the main subject.
https://vimeo.com/264487765/8132108091

MikeMeagher

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 8:05 pm

I wish it just had autofocus support. Reasonable speed. But thats dreaming. I plan to use in an underwater housing and autofocus is often helpful.
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 12:36 am

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:This is not necessarily a new feature, but I would like the file naming convention to be the same as in the original pocket cinema camera, with the ability to include a user assigned camera name as part of the file name. For multi-camera shoots this would be a great boon when trying to figure out what is what when ingesting media.

I vary the first letter to indicate the lens I’m using. So my clips begin Bnnn if I’m shooting with the B4 lens and Pnnn for the PL APO lenses. I only use one camera now, but you might use the same technique as a workaround: Annn for clips from camera A, Bnnn for your B camera and so on. Not ideal, but might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 12:43 am

Denny Smith wrote:I would also like to see a 2.xK actual S16 window, larger than the HD window, similar to the 2K window on the UM 4.6.
Cheers

Me too, shocked a DCI 4K camera from BMD doesn’t have DCI 2K. That’s what I prefer to shoot most of the time even when delivering HD if the client agrees. With the 4x crop on the HD window on the BMPCC4K, I’m going to record open gate and downscale to 2K in Resolve.

Rick Lang

John Paines

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 1:20 am

rick.lang wrote:With the 4x crop on the HD window on the BMPCC4K, I’m going to record open gate and downscale to 2K in Resolve.

In one of the Grant Petty interviews, he seemed to be saying that full sensor 4K is downsampled to HD in camera-- the windowing is only for 120fps. Or do you have something else in mind?

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 1:31 am

Yes we do, a full S16 2.x DCI window would cut 4K DCI file sizes in half, and still render down to a nice HD deliverable. Also a S16 sized window would allow shooting with S16 lenses, like the Zeiss Super Speeds and Angie S16 zooms.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 2:28 am

A feature I've long wanted has shown up on the Kinefinity Terra lineup. I'd love to see it show up in the Pocket 4K as well.

Recording at DCI resolutions for both RAW and ProRes:
4K Scope (4096 x 1716)
4K Flat (3996 x 2160)
2K Flat (1998 x 1080)
2K Scope (2048 x 858)

Framing guides are awesome and I love that BMD puts them in there (hate that Panasonic didn't), but 4K takes up a LOT of space. I'd prefer not to waste storage with image data that I will never use.

I'm not asking for this to be the only option, of course. Just...a choice.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 am

John Paines wrote:
rick.lang wrote:With the 4x crop on the HD window on the BMPCC4K, I’m going to record open gate and downscale to 2K in Resolve.

In one of the Grant Petty interviews, he seemed to be saying that full sensor 4K is downsampled to HD in camera-- the windowing is only for 120fps. Or do you have something else in mind?

Hey, John! Thanks. I may have missed that interview of Grant. Do you recall which firm interviewed him on that? I saw other people interviewed that always talked about “windowed HD.” That would be good news for ProRes shoots. Still want my 2K option if possible though.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 4:19 am

Jim, good to know. Think you mean:
4K Scope (4096 x 1716)
4K Flat (3996 x 2160)
2K Flat (1998 x 1080)
2K Scope (2048 x 858)

Rick Lang

Koumka

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 4:33 am

I would like to see a resolution above 2K, cause a lot if clients want HD résolution only. 4K DCI eat too much space and hard to edit in à NLE. HD downsample work with ProRes but not Raw. A resolution like 2.5K would be good.

John Paines

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 11:03 am

rick.lang wrote:Do you recall which firm interviewed him on that? I saw other people interviewed that always talked about “windowed HD.” That would be good news for ProRes shoots. Still want my 2K option if possible though.

Unfortunately, I can't find it and tolerance for youtube interviewers is low ... they're all hairless and talk too much.

In the course of the interview in question, I believe Grant Petty remarked that recording HD in camera had the usual large benefits for anti-aliasing, so I assumed he was talking about a full-frame down-sample to HD. It's hard to believe this camera wouldn't have that feature.

That aside, what exactly is the appeal of the few extra pixels of 2K, if you're not looking to a DCP? Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. A window for owners of S16mm lenses seems even less likely.

Robert Bowman

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Rick,
One interview to see is: at 2:16 and 5:55.
youtube(dot)com watch?v=UDAdeYLHjSs
by cinema5D

Denny,
How about this for S16
Given that IMX29CJK provides 14bit at 24fps over a 4:3 sensor area, see:
All-pixel scan (aspect ratio 4:3) : 3704 (H) × 2778 (V) 24 fps, ADC 14 bit

If we half the area to 3704 x 1389 we could get 48fps (maybe?)
So lets crush it some more to 2400 x 1350
We could (maybe) get 50 or 60 fps at 14 bit.
Assuming 80% volume of all possible 14 bit values. Since, 13 stops out of a possible 16 is 80%.

Then we could be looking at:

All-pixel scan (aspect ratio 16:9) : 2400 (H) × 1350 (V) 50/60 fps, ADC 14 bit
With Image diameter of 12.75 mm, with 50 stops of Dynamic Range.
The Excile : My life hath been one chain of contradictions. Madhouses, prisons, & whore shops.

John Paines

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Yes, that's the interview, at 5:55. It's less ambiguous than I remembered, there doesn't seem to be any doubt that the camera uses the full sensor and scales internally to HD, for all but HFR.

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Robert, grand idea, you are on a roll with this one. Works for me. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 10:08 pm

John Paines wrote:Yes, that's the interview, at 5:55. It's less ambiguous than I remembered, there doesn't seem to be any doubt that the camera uses the full sensor and scales internally to HD, for all but HFR.

Excellent, John and thanks for the link Robert. “You can use full sensor and scale down to HD in camera.” I find 60 fps quite useful with 4K or HD so that issue is resolved for me. Rarely would I use 120 fps, but it’s there (with a 4x crop factor) if I want it. And although it is not specifically mentioned, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the option of internal downscaling to go from 4K to a 2K recording without clipping the horizontal field as would happen going from 4K to HD.

The reason I shoot 4K/2K is either that I choose to have that roughly 7% wider field of view for events because aesthetically I prefer that 2.4:1 frame or for those who want full HD deliverables, it gives me more room to stabilize with potentially less upscaling of the image. Not a deal breaker, but nice to have options.

Rick Lang

Craig Seeman

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 10:59 pm

One more for the firmware wishlist.

RGB Histogram or RGB Parade would be even better.
It's possible that a single color channel can clip in some cases even if the luminance histogram (and maybe zebras?) look fine. With RGB one might see a level problem with one channel.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 12:53 am

Craig Seeman wrote:RGB Parade would be even better.

I wouldn't mind that option.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 4:51 am

Craig Seeman wrote:One more for the firmware wishlist.

RGB Histogram or RGB Parade would be even better.
It's possible that a single color channel can clip in some cases even if the luminance histogram (and maybe zebras?) look fine. With RGB one might see a level problem with one channel.

+1
I use that on the Atomos all the time.

Piotr Naumowicz

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 8:02 am

For me here is a list of few firmware updates that could be awesome:

- anamorphic modes similar to gh5s
- anamorphic desquize (1,33 /1,5 /2)
- ability to switch shutter angle / shutter time
- battery safe mode thats turn off the screen on standby mode, set by user ( off, after 10s, 30s, 1min, 2 min...) - first tap on record to turn on the screen, tap na the screen to activate the screen).
- false color
- settings presets: i know that is now hfr mode, but custom prestets would be nice. First you choose which settings you want to be overwritten after selection that particular preset. Then you set parameters. For example It could be nice to quicely change shutter angle to reduce the flicker in hfr. You set your camera shutter angle to 180 but when there is an arificial light you can quicely change to proper angle for you country ( i’m in europe so 50Hz for me).
- waveform
- ability to set transparency of the separate UI elements.

Because pocket 4k battery door are removable bmd could design grip for pocket 4k that gives us double lpe6 or even allow to slide at the bottom slim 95wh vlock ( plus some dtap and 7.2v ports as a part of the design). Also grip could provide 15mm rod holders in front of the camera, a port locks from the left of the camera. Additional place to add viefinder at the top left. And few holes to mount small accesories at the back and the bottom part. Weight distribution would be nice, because batteries will be at the bottom of the camera.

Liszön!

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Willem Timmersma wrote:An anamorphic mode would be great.

+1
Next

Return to Cinematography