Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Is Fusion Stand Alone, still alive?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Abdelrahman Magdy

Re: Is Fusion Stand Alone, still alive?

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:48 pm

michael vorberg wrote:
Abdelrahman Magdy wrote:This is what he said:
It kind of still is. I mean, there might be something in there, I think the network rendering is something that people might want.

rings more alarm bells then before for me! sounds like he didnt understand Fusion as a product at all, how its used, how versatile it is,how different workflow can be

when he talks about how nice the new UI design is... wth? who cares about the node design if i cant do work like i need to

I understand what you are saying. This is why I said it is a bit reassuring for the time being. Because, to me, he seemed a bit unsure about it :?.

Let's hope for a better clarification soon. It would be a huge loss if they kill it completely. There are a lot of things that we will lose with it, from the most simple to the most advanced. Even the whole UI thing that Grant talks about, for me, the UI of Resolve's Fusion looks a bit cluttered to me. The flow feels too small compared to what we are used to in Fusion. When it comes to the more advanced staff, I, honestly, can't talk a lot, as I am far from claiming to be the experienced Fusion as other people in these forums can do.
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

Chad Capeland

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 pm

Abdelrahman Magdy wrote: Even the whole UI thing that Grant talks about, for me, the UI of Resolve's Fusion looks a bit cluttered to me.

This is the sort of thing that can be addressed with user studies and determine it objectively. You assign a task to the user and record how long it takes. If your UI improves speed (or accuracy or whatever you are optimizing for) then it's an improvement.

My gut feeling is that the UI isn't cluttered enough. But rather than argue with you about it, I'd prefer we had some performance data.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:
Abdelrahman Magdy wrote:My gut feeling is that the UI isn't cluttered enough. But rather than argue with you about it, I'd prefer we had some performance data.

Maybe cluttered isn't the best word to describe what I mean. But I agree with you that there is no point of arguing about it, because each user would be different. As you said, some performance data could have been used to determine what is working for the majority of the users and what isn't.

Hopefully, Blackmagic can use the feedback on the beta releases and try to improve what is not working for the users.
System specs:

Chad Capeland

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 11:07 pm

Abdelrahman Magdy wrote:Hopefully, Blackmagic can use the feedback on the beta releases and try to improve what is not working for the users.

One solution would be to allow users to configure the GUI themselves. You can reskin Fusion and reconfigure a lot of the windows. Between those two options you get a lot of flexibility.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:40 am

Chad Capeland wrote:
Abdelrahman Magdy wrote:Hopefully, Blackmagic can use the feedback on the beta releases and try to improve what is not working for the users.

One solution would be to allow users to configure the GUI themselves. You can reskin Fusion and reconfigure a lot of the windows. Between those two options you get a lot of flexibility.
I agree.. for me, this is one of Resolve's weaknesses. The fact that, as a user, I am only limited to simple GUI customizations is a bit annoying. Of course, since I am not a developer, I am not sure how difficult it is to make Resolve's UI configurable by the user.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
System specs:

Julian Tsvetanov

PostThu May 17, 2018 10:11 pm

aRc Aurelia wrote:Does this mean that those who Purchased Davinci Resolve (Instead of Fusion) should be able to use our Resolve Activation keys for stand alone fusion?

Jeff Ha wrote:So is it the other way around too? Will a Resolve dongle unlock a full Fusion in the future too? Asking as I think we have 2 dongles, not installed yet

I have totally the same question! I own a Resolve dongle and I'm also curious about having access to Fusion Studio too. Of course I've tried that now and it doesn't work, since the last Fusion release is from last year, so they didn't have a chance to update the licensing component.

In theory it sounds reasonable the have a cross licensing if that is true in Fusion to Resolve direction.

Aside from that, I'm happy with the idea for Fusion integration inside Resolve. I guess most of the users using both tools is easier and faster now to have better integration as one tool as opposite to having to switch all the time. Also, the other way around is true too - many are not using Fusion at all but they will be tempted to try it :)

I don't believe that there are people against the idea, because taking a market share from Adobe will actually make the community bigger and the available materials will grow. The alternative is letting Fusion die alone.

Chad Capeland

PostThu May 17, 2018 11:04 pm

Julian Tsvetanov wrote: I own a Resolve dongle and I'm also curious about having access to Fusion Studio too. Of course I've tried that now and it doesn't work, since the last Fusion release is from last year, so they didn't have a chance to update the licensing component.

In theory it sounds reasonable the have a cross licensing if that is true in Fusion to Resolve direction.

The official word from BDP is that it's one way only. Fusion Studio users get to run Resolve Studio, but not the other way around.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Julian Tsvetanov

PostFri May 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Yeah, I've got same confirmation from Resolve representative, that there is no such plans.

But that doesn't automatically make sense. Not at all.

If you are new to Fusion/Resolve and now you have to pick license/dongle honestly I don't know if you have two options for the same price: to buy Fusion dongle that allows you Fusion 9 + Resolve 15 or buy Resolve 15 dongle that gives you only Resolve license.

Again, at the same price - I don't understand why anybody would consider buying just Resolve license :)

I'm quite interested anyone from BMD management to take the mic and speak :)

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun May 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Julian Tsvetanov wrote:But that doesn't automatically make sense. Not at all.

It makes sense in one context but that won't make Fusion users happy at all. I wonder if Shake users get en eerie feeling watching this unroll...
I do stuff.

aRc Aurelia

PostTue May 22, 2018 9:41 pm

It was a bit unfortunate for me, because I actually prefer fusion, but chose to purchased Resolve instead (one month prior to the release of Resolve 15), because it had a few more features I needed from the studio version. If I would have known that I could have had access to both studio programs by purchasing Fusion instead of Resolve, I would have certainly done that instead.

It makes little sense to me to offer their flagship product for free when purchasing fusion, but not offer Fusion, to those who purchased Resolve ... ??? ...

-Aria

Blake LaFarm

PostTue May 22, 2018 11:55 pm

aRc Aurelia wrote:It makes little sense to me to offer their flagship product for free when purchasing fusion, but not offer Fusion, to those who purchased Resolve ... ??? ...-Aria
It would make sense if the master plan is for Fusion Standalone to go EOL. In that scenario, BMD would need to provide a migratory path for Fusion owners to the successor platform (Resolve). And, similarly, there would be no need to provide a path going in the reverse direction.

Functionality aside, the legacy price differential between the two products might be a sore point for some Fusion Studio owners. For example, I've got Studio licenses for both -- and I paid much more for Fusion. If Fusion moves entirely to Resolve, what do I do with two dongles? However, the Studio versions of both products are now the same price, which is arguably even more suggestive of where this might be going.

Again, functionality aside, it would be nice if legacy Fusion owners were somehow made 'whole' by unlocking some differentiating feature within the Resolve implementation. For example, Planar Tracking, Camera Tracking, Optical Flow Retiming, GPU Acceleration or unlimited Render Nodes. But I don't see that happening. Too complicated, and too difficult for BMD to manage. Democratization is a double edged sword, and I think those 'horses have left the barn'.

Anyway, what do I know? I'm just sitting on the sidelines.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803
Previous

Return to Fusion