Solution for USB 3.0 with ATEM1

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mlorenzo

Solution for USB 3.0 with ATEM1

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 4:28 pm

The solution to the problem of compatibility with USB 3.0 ATEM1:
Use a 3.0 hub with power.
This model is what we use: (Aluratek 4-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... Speed.html

This solution was tested on a Toshiba Qosmio X875-SP7201SL.
Has Intel 7 Series / C216 Chipset Family.
Use the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver

Good Luck!
Martin Lorenzo.
Videosoft - Uruguay.
Martin Lorenzo.
Videosoft - Uruguay

Thomas Beck

Re: Solution for USB 3.0 with ATEM1

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Thats nice to know. What I need is a solution for usb 3.0 and windows 8

Xtreemtec

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Martin,

This only proves that your laptop is able to process the data speed needed for the ATEM uncompressed output.

The hub does not alter or change the speed... The only thing i can think up it could be something to do with the USB cable you use. Some cheaper cables have problems with noise. A hub will act as a buffer and clean up the signal a little bit.

Post the full specs in the other topic USB 3 > laptops please. I will add it with a NOTE.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Mike Squires

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 5:55 pm

I guess the hub could fix any under-voltage related issues also.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 6:14 pm

I guess you right if the device got powered from the USB 3 bus. Like a Pendrive or Webcam or Shuttle.

I think you don't need power with the ATEM 1/2 as that 3.0 chipset will be powered from inside the Atem.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

mlorenzo

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 4:44 pm

ATEM1 directly connected to USB 3.0 port on the notebook = FREEZES BLACKMAGIC EXPRESS and freezes Windows 7 64b

ATEM1 connected through USB 3.0 Hub Aluratek = WORKS 100% OK

No need to connect the 5V power to the hub Aluratek.
Martin Lorenzo.
Videosoft - Uruguay

Chriswalsh

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 7:27 pm

This is VERY interesting, as I just moved my 1 M/E to a system so I could capture via USB 3. I was able to capture ONE time, every time after that it completely freezes the computer. I would like to hear other opinions about why this is happening . . . perhaps I need to start my own thread!

Mike Squires

PostTue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 am

mlorenzo wrote:ATEM1 directly connected to USB 3.0 port on the notebook = FREEZES BLACKMAGIC EXPRESS and freezes Windows 7 64b

ATEM1 connected through USB 3.0 Hub Aluratek = WORKS 100% OK

No need to connect the 5V power to the hub Aluratek.

Hmm, that is very interesting. Thanks for sharing the info.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Okee now i agree this sound intresting.

Thanks Lorenzo. But this info was not clear from the first post. I will add this information in the Laptop Compatible topic.

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 am

The only thing that make sense that the usb hub chip is compatibile with the atem, nothing else. So usb hub chip is acting as translator, just cleans the bug thats related to atem usb 3.0 issue.. So, again, cheap solution for resolving issue.. :)

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 am

It doesn't clean bugs.. It does not alter the signal in any way. It only allows to put several streams together into 1 stream.

But the fact this works for some laptops could come in handy with people that have Crashing issues. They could try this. But it is absolutely no guaranty that it will solve the problem to your laptop.

westframe

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 12:46 pm

I need ATEM1 USB3 go to my MacBook Pro 15" (late 2012).

Otherwise I have to put another device in-between (e.g. Intensity / UltraStudio) which will cause 2x more delay / latency in the signal. Very annoying for live applications...

Why is the Intensity USB3 now supported for MacBook, and not the Atem1 USB3..?? I don't get it.

Let me know. Thnx

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 3:50 pm

How does adding another device in between increase the latency? I can tell you it will make no difference at all. Why do you think it would?

Whether you are capturing from the USB3 output from the 1ME or via an Ultrastudio it will make no difference I promise.

Also What is it that you do with the captured output from the ATEM that any further delay would make any difference to what you then do with that in a live performance? If you are streaming it out.. The delay added by the streaming provider will be massive in comparison to any delays in capture.

And.. Hopefully at some time usb3 support for the 1me will be added for Macs. But for now a $145 capture device will do just as well technically
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 6:53 pm

For your info.. The USB3 connection is just an internal video grabber inside the ATEM. It won't add less delay than an external grabber. ;)

westframe

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:Also What is it that you do with the captured output from the ATEM that any further delay would make any difference to what you then do with that in a live performance?...

For a live show video-projection. Running it through a ResolumeVJsoftware on MacBook. E.g. so when the drummer is playing, I want his face on the big screen on stage, have his face explode in million particles in real-time on the FFT audio beat... If these equipment has too much delay, then it would look stupid on stage.

;-)
merci merci
I'm looking for solutions, see other POST > http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11788

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 pm

It is nearly impossible to do a video projection without noticeable video-delay.... And you can't compensate it by delaying the audio.

The good new are: every 12-14m distance from loudspeaker, you have a audio delay for 1 Frame. So after round about 36-42m the audience has synchronous audio and videoprojection - when ignoring the live performer ;-)

So show the face, but not the moving hands ....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Wel for the record everything shared here is still valid. Using another device between the ATEM and your system will not add any further delay to the processing over using the usb3 output from the 1ME.

Good luck on the rest of it.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

westframe

PostWed Aug 28, 2013 9:18 am

Thomas Seewald wrote:every 12-14m distance from loudspeaker, you have a audio delay for 1 Frame.

Thomas, thanks again for that. I know it's nearly impossible to not have video-delay. But of course trying to get least possible. It's a good challenge and Blackmagic is making it nearly possible now with the new gear PLUS Resolume software is supporting BM 100% in the software. Next level sh*t.

Return to Live Production