Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

newbie question: animating 2D shapes/lines/etc.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

clepsydrae

newbie question: animating 2D shapes/lines/etc.

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 pm

Hi -- brand new to Fusion, and pretty new to Resolve. Very grateful to have access to these tools. I've done some editing/color-correction in Resolve. For an upcoming project I need to do a fair amount of animation of 2D lines, text, etc. The beta release of 15 seems like perfect timing to get my feet wet in Fusion and to get this done in one piece of software.

But I can't figure out how to make this happen in Resolve/Fusion 15. What's the simple way to draw some lines and move them around? Surely there is a 2D spline or poly tool or something that can be keyframed? I don't need to use the 3D toolset to make this happen, right? I tried a bunch of stuff to no avail.

Thanks for any ideas! And feel free to tell me to go RTFM, if that's what I need to do. :-)

Also: the beta crashed 5 or 6 times in different places while I was poking around -- what's the proper way to report these, if any? (I am not a paid user.)

Lance Braud

Re: newbie question: animating 2D shapes/lines/etc.

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 6:07 pm

You want to use a Paint Node. You'll definitely want to read the section in the Fusion tools reference for the paint node. If you want to animate your strokes, you'll want to use the Stroke, or Polyline Stroke modifier and not the multistroke (which is the default).
Resolve Studio v16.2.3 | Nvidia GTX 1070 | v451.48 | Win10 x64 | AMD TR-1950X 16G RAM

clepsydrae

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks for the tips, Lance. I will read that section.

And if anyone has tips on how/where to report crashes, I'm all ears. Just make a forum post? Are there crash logs or similar I should be pasting in or sending somewhere?

Bryan Ray

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 6:44 pm

There's been some instability with running Fusion on the GPU. Try turning on 'Always run Fusion on CPU' in the Resolve Preferences Configuration page. That solved most of the crashes I was getting.

Submit crash reports in the Resolve Beta forum, which is a sub-forum of the main Resolve forum here. You can create a log from the Help menu. It will be too large to attach directly to a message here, so you'll need to use a file hosting service and post a link. Unfortunately, you're also going to run into a moderation roadblock, since new users can't post links! To get around that, just put a space in it somewhere so the forum doesn't recognize it as a url.

The basic 2d spline tools are called Polygon and BSpline. They're on the toolbar, or you can get to them with the Shift+Space menu, or in the Effects Library under Tools/Mask.

The Paint tool recommended by Lance has quite a bit more functionality to it, like write-on animation, image brushes, and spacing. If you need those features, then use Paint. Otherwise, I prefer the simplicity of the basic tools.

By default, the Mask tools create a filled shape, and their animation is turned on. To create a line instead, use the Border Width control in the Inspector. And to prevent the spline from closing, activate the Modify Only button in the in-Viewer toolbar.

To make the line colored, plug it into the Effect Mask input of a Background tool, then set the Background to whatever color you like. For several lines that will all be the same color, you can chain mask tools together, and they'll all merge into one image.

I've never found a simple way to make a tapered line.
Attachments
splines.png
splines.png (133.72 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (55.61 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

clepsydrae

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks Bryan -- I was toying with those 2D tools and couldn't figure out how to make them visible -- those tips will get me there, I'm sure.

And I'll try the CPU switch, too.

Much obliged,
-c

capsee

PostMon May 14, 2018 11:49 am

Hi, I'm new to Fusion. I need to animate shape as can be seen in the picture
line.jpg
line.jpg (43.49 KiB) Viewed 3453 times

I've tried to use polyline and soft brush (square brush to, but this brush is not anti aliased ), but the soft brush have only round ends and I need straight ones. Some one can help?

Return to Fusion