Export for FCPX or Adobe CC

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

geminiifilms

Export for FCPX or Adobe CC

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 7:02 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first foray into DaVinci, so please excuse my ignorance on some things here. I am working on a 4K film that has been previously edited by someone else using DaVinci Resolve and I am trying to get the timeline and project exported to work in either FCPx or Adobe Premiere. I have tried to do this two ways and so far it isn't working.

When I first opened the project in DVR 14 (14.3.0.014) I had to relink all media and I received a warning that 41 clips could not be found. I went ahead and continued and was able to scrub through the film and test playback. It seems like everything in the final picture lock is there and I don't see any red items in the timeline.

So I first tried to export as xml and fcpxml. When I tried to open the xml file in Premiere, I receive an error about the missing clips, and when the file finally opened, all the clips on the first video track are showing in red and some dissolves in the timeline are showing as missing media.

timeline sample.jpeg
timeline sample.jpeg (132.07 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

Timeline Sample 2.jpeg
Timeline Sample 2.jpeg (180.27 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

Next I tried to open fcpxml in FCPx and it wouldn't import at all.

FCPx error.jpeg
FCPx error.jpeg (33.72 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Export for FCPX or Adobe CC

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:37 pm

I don't know about relinking footage in premiere, but basic first question would be, have you pointed premiere to the location of these files?
Have you tried loading these files manually into Premiere? Can Premiere read them?

Next question: Your V3 track in resolve...every clip starts with V1-... This would appear to me to be a set of media that has already gone through a round trip cycle from Resolve. The V1 would indicate the track that that footage originally came from. That is what it looks like when I send a round trip back to Avid anyway. So I'm wondering if there was already a list built to get this into Resolve in the first place, and could that list go into Premiere or FCPx?

The idea of taking on someone else's edit, with the goal of trying to move it to a different program for editing is always a bit of a gotcha situation. Some things will work, some won't. Proceed at your own risk. These programs are not really built to talk amongst themselves that well.

geminiifilms

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Yes. I am not sure. I contacted the colorist that worked on this project and he sent me new files to correct some of the issues I was having in the timeline. I was then able to do a proper export out to h.264 1080p and no issues with playback. I am now just using that export file to build my titles and credit fx. Then I will just bring those into resolve after.

*** So, is it possible to remove references to the missing files that are showing up in the timeline? When I try to relink there are a total of 41 clips missing even after a deep scan. I am debating whether it would be beneficial to create a new clean project to work with. Do you have any info how to copy the timeline into a new project?

geminiifilms

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Can anyone explain why I can't set a start and end point here? I wanted to try and export the full timeline but when I start rendering out the individual clips, it doesn't include the blank space in the front so the audio is not correct.

Thanks
Attachments
timeline.jpeg
timeline.jpeg (144.12 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 10:43 pm

If your output is set to individual clips, then that is what you will get....each individual clip. A gap, or even a piece of Davinci generated black is not considered a clip in that scenario.

You can try to create a generated black, and then compound clip it. Davinci might then see it as a clip...but i'm not even sure about that.

If the black is at the head of the timeline, (or maybe end of timeline) and you select single clip...you still might not get the black unless you compound it into a slug.

Davinci has some weird rules surrounding black in these instances.

geminiifilms

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Glenn Sakatch wrote:If your output is set to individual clips, then that is what you will get....each individual clip. A gap, or even a piece of Davinci generated black is not considered a clip in that scenario.

You can try to create a generated black, and then compound clip it. Davinci might then see it as a clip...but i'm not even sure about that.

If the black is at the head of the timeline, (or maybe end of timeline) and you select single clip...you still might not get the black unless you compound it into a slug.

Davinci has some weird rules surrounding black in these instances.

Yeah this is really frustrating. I am going to try and create a black clip in FCPx and see if it will take that.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Ive had a still of both black and white sitting on ine if my drives for close to 15 years. I import it when needed.

Return to Post Production