Absolute Total Noob and DaVinci Resolve 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gr8fulTed

Absolute Total Noob and DaVinci Resolve 15

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 pm

I have heard so much about DaVinci Resolve in other forums to which I belong so when I saw there was a totally new version (15) I went ahead and downloaded the new Beta version. While new YouTube videos go into some depth on using the new features and how some of the older features have been updated, nothing out there for using 15 from a brand new user that I have been able to find.

I have no idea how to use this software and was wondering if there is a users manual to be my guide as I go about learning it (I am familiar with iMovie).

Thanks for any assistance.

Byron Dickens

Re: Absolute Total Noob and DaVinci Resolve 15

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 3:05 pm

On the support page, there is a link to the DR 14 manual as well as the new features guide for 15.

I don't think a manual for V15 will be available until it is out of beta.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

TimSquires

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Might it be worth asking yourself why you want to learn Resolve? What is your source material? I apologise if these are basic questions but they might be important. Are you looking to colour grade at an advanced level? Or are you more interested in editing and adding fancy titles/effects? Yes, Resolve is superb. But it is a steep learning curve (to me at least) and it is important to have an idea of why you want/need to use it. For most things (ie not involving raw files) I find FCP is easier (but I’m just an enthusiastic amateur so take this post in that spirit!) I’m almost getting to the point that Resolve is intuitive but it isn’t “easy”.
One lesson I learned was that although Resolve might be high-end and suitable for working professionals at any level of production it isn’t necessarily the best way for me to produce the best output I can.
Tim
Tim Squires
UK

Gr8fulTed

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 2:08 am

Ok, thanks, guys. Both these posts are thoughtful and worthy of consideration.

Return to DaVinci Resolve