Help with API or tutorial-level software for Stereo Stream

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

cbergeles

Help with API or tutorial-level software for Stereo Stream

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to capture a stereo stream using the DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G - video
capture adapter - PCIe 2.0 x8. The two SDI streams are coming from a Sony box, Sony MCC-3000MT.

I can easily see the two incoming images side by side in the Media Express application, but I would like to capture the stream using a custom software (we work on medical image analysis).

I am able to capture a single frame, and I cannot understand how the data is transmitted. Are the incoming stereo frames interlaced line by line? Is there a tutorial on using the APIs for this?

Any help is appreciated. We work in linux, using Python and C++, but OS is not an issue and we are flexible.

Thank you,
Christos

Cameron Nichols

Blackmagic Design

Re: Help with API or tutorial-level software for Stereo Stre

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 am

Hi Christos,

For a high level overview of 3D Capture with the DeckLink SDK, please refer DeckLink SDK Manual [1].

Use a similar process for normal capture, except that set flag bmdVideoInputDualStream3D when calling EnableVideoInput [2].

On the IDeckLinkInputCallback::VideoInputFrameArrived callback, the IDeckLinkVideoInputFrame represents the left-eye frame. Query IDeckLinkVideoFrame3DExtensions on the video frame and call GetFrameForRightEye for right-eye frame [3].

I hope this helps

Regards
Cameron

Refs (DeckLink SDK Manual)
[1] 2.4.3.1 3D Capture
[2] 2.5.4.4 IDeckLinkInput::EnableVideoInput method
[3] 2.5.8.2 IDeckLinkVideoFrame3DExtensions::GetFrameForRightEye method

miltmobley

Re: Help with API or tutorial-level software for Stereo Stre

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 6:34 am

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_digital_interface for info on SDI HD

You mentioned interlacing of the two camera images. Sony's picture shows separate connectors for
the A and B camera outputs. Do you have two cables going to your capture card? There is also an
external sync input you might have to use if the images must be synchronized. Contact Sony for
details.

Return to Software Developers