Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Animate Stills

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Oli Koos

Animate Stills

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 9:48 am

Hi there,

I am new to Fusion and want to try this;

Could anyone point me to a tutorial?
I have my source Media (a JPG) in the flow, after that I go to a Merge, which has a Poly Mask connected to it, but I am already stuck at isolating (substracting) my Matt from the souce still.

Thanks for help

Sander de Regt

Re: Animate Stills

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 2:07 pm

You have to extract the portion you want to seperate before you feed it into a merge.
A polymask on the merge tells Fusion: 'I only want the combine these two images where the mask is'

What you are trying to do (I presume) is cut out the face, so you have bascially a face with a transparent background that you can then put on top of your background.

To do this: feed your image into a matte control and then use a polymask that you feed into the garbage matte input of the matte control, invert the mask and cut out the face.
Then you could put *that* with a merge (without a mask) on top of your background.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Oli Koos

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 2:18 pm

cool, I will try this, thank you very much! :-)

julian_b

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi!
It can be pretty hard to get started with Fusion, so I created a quick & dirty template for you to use.
Copy the code into fusion. That's your comp.
Replace the background gradient with your image, draw the masks in the 2 polygon nodes and update the paint tool to copy parts of the background like in the video.
Some tools have an "i" next to them, meaning I added a comment in the "Comment/Info" tab of that tool.
I also added a light you can play around with. To see the effect of the light in the viewer select "Light" mode in the viewer. You can just remove it, if you don't like it.
Edit: To see the lighting and shadows in the final render, go to the Renderer3D node and under "Lighting" select "Enable Lighting" and "Enable Shadows".

Once you get used to node-based compositing, you'll love it. Nowadays I just loathe After Effects. It feels so stupid compared to Fusion. :mrgreen:

Edit: I quickly added some particles. Shows the beauty of having a real 3D space instead of the layer-based 2.5D in AE. The particles live in true 3D space, instead of on a 2D layer.

Edit: Replaced file link.
https://mega.nz/#!zyI3kD4K!1yDhWyf9clOc08rRpOcrJ1RNePsJB7z1qM4PgurkxGg
Last edited by julian_b on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oli Koos

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 9:37 am

Wow, thank you so much! Very appreciated.
I will try this out today :-)

Daz Wood

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Julian Böhme wrote:Hi!
It can be pretty hard to get started with Fusion, so I created a quick & dirty template for you to use.
Replace the background gradient with your image, draw the masks in the 2 polygon nodes and update the paint tool to copy parts of the background like in the video.
Some tools have an "i" next to them, meaning I added a comment in the "Comment/Info" tab of that tool.
I also added a light you can play around with. To see the effect of the light in the viewer select "Light" mode in the viewer. You can just remove it, if you don't like it.
Edit: To see the lighting and shadows in the final render, go to the Renderer3D node and under "Lighting" select "Enable Lighting" and "Enable Shadows".

Once you get used to node-based compositing, you'll love it. Nowadays I just loathe After Effects. It feels so stupid compared to Fusion. :mrgreen:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-13081924/Parallaxtemplate.comp.html

unforgettably I am getting popups and warning from this link :-(
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Blake LaFarm

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Daz Wood wrote:
Julian Böhme wrote:Hi!

https://www.file-upload.net/download-13081924/Parallaxtemplate.comp.html

unforgettably I am getting popups and warning from this link :-(
Me too. It's quite concerning. I just PM'd Julian a link which I hope he will agree use to send me the file.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803

julian_b

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Sorry guys.
I just used the first free file-sharing service without registration, I could find.
And since I use Adblock, I don't get any popups or whatever you're getting.

I re-upladed the file on mega. It doesn't have any popups or ads.
Edit: Added particles, you can play around with.
https://mega.nz/#!zyI3kD4K!1yDhWyf9clOc ... M4PgurkxGg

Return to Fusion