URSA Broadcast Autofocus

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Michael Beck

URSA Broadcast Autofocus

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 pm

I have an URSA Broadcast and a Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 lens on it.

I cannot get the camera control software to control the focus, or get the camera to autofocus. Is this lens just not compatible? or is it something else?
------------
-Michael Beck

Gene Kochanowsky

Re: URSA Broadcast Autofocus

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 6:29 pm

I think you want to post this in the live production subforum.

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Not all B4 lenses have a Focus Servo motor. Does your lens have a Focus Servo? I do not think is does, as the BRM designation on yiur lens indicates it is a manual focus, Servo Zoom only lens. So, no remote or auto focus is possible on a manual zoom lens. Also some analog controlled Servo lenses are not supported by the ATEM CCU either.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Michael Beck

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:I think you want to post this in the live production subforum.

Thanks, I always get confused about camera/vs live production here on the forum. I guess this does fit over there better. Mods can feel free to move it if they like.
------------
-Michael Beck

Michael Beck

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Not all B4 lenses have a Focus Servo motor. Does your lens have a Focus Servo? I do not think is does, as the BRM designation on yiur lens indicates it is a manual focus, Servo Zoom only lens. So, no remote or auto focus is possible on a manual zoom lens. Also some analog controlled Servo lenses are not supported by the ATEM CCU either.
Cheers

Thanks, This may be the answer. I may start a new thread over in the live production part to see what lenses folks are using.
------------
-Michael Beck

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Well i do think you wont even find a B4 lens with servo controlled focus that will run with the Ursa..

This will only work with the Digital controlled lenses.. As there is no official control for Zoom and Focus in the Hirose 12 pin that is for lens control.. (Yes some pinout mention about analog zoom and focus on pin 11 and 12.. But these are the RxD and TxD pins for the serial connection on the digital lenses..

That these functions excist in the Atem Control panel is because of some MFT lenses that have Zoom and Focus in there lenses embedded.. ;)

But please proof me wrong.. Because i would like to see a full working Zoom Focus B4 lens on the Ursa..
We do it with external control by sending analog signals into the lens from a box that de-embeds the BMD Camera Control data and translate that into lens control.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Michael Beck

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:But please proof me wrong.. Because i would like to see a full working Zoom Focus B4 lens on the Ursa..
We do it with external control by sending analog signals into the lens from a box that de-embeds the BMD Camera Control data and translate that into lens control.. ;)

I doubt I will. Looks like you have looked into this quite a bit. How does your solution work? Do you have custom boxes? or is there somewhere I can buy the parts to make it work?
------------
-Michael Beck

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 pm

You CAN control focus and autofocus from URSA Mini Pro and URSA Broadcast but your lens would need a focus servo which exists in digital servo Fujinon lenses with BERD or BRD in the suffix. You then also need the 12-pin Hirose plugged in and the switch on the bottom of the handgrip to be set to 'servo'.

Canon lenses also work as long as they have focus servo. The details are in the URSA Broadcast manual.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:03 am

Thanks Tim, I could not remember the suffix code for digital Iris/Focus Servo lenses. I knew they were supported, but the BRM suffix on the Ozp’s lens is a Manual Focus lens, so no Focus Servo on this one, which is why it did not work for him.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Great will look into those lenses then. :D Thanks Tim for verifing this!!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production