SSD Recorder not recognized at first

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Cinemavista

SSD Recorder not recognized at first

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 7:31 pm

I wrote to BM Support a week ago, but have received no response as of yet.

When I first power up my Mini Pro 4.6K camera, it always shows the orange light on the attached Blackmagic SSD Recorder and "No Card" on the camera. Only when I unplug the "SDI In" cable from the camera and then plug it back in, the light on the recorder goes white and the camera sees the card that is installed. This happens almost every time I power up.

Roderick
Roderick E. Stevens II
Filmmaker
Arizona

Xtreemtec

Re: SSD Recorder not recognized at first

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Are you running the latest firmware on both devices?? ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Cinemavista

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 1:09 am

Hey there Daniel.

Pardon the late reply. I'm still getting accustomed to this forum and settings and whatnot. Anyway, yes I double checked that I'm on the latest firmware on the entire BM family. The problem is intermittent and seems to be happening less and less now. When I first set everything up, I would have to turn the camera off and back on pretty much every time, now it's necessary about every 6th time or so that I boot it up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roderick
Roderick E. Stevens II
Filmmaker
Arizona

Michael Odhiambo

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 pm

I have the same issue. I updated to latest firmware on the camera. I see a USB C on the recorder...but havent tried to update the recorder. I have to unplug the bottom SDI and plug it back in for it to be detected by the camera after a boot up. For some shoots, that can be a problem (events) That extra step could mean either missing the shot or getting it. I have about 13 more days to return the camera if its an issue with the cam.

Ben Kaiser

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 8:26 pm

Same problem here.
I use Ursa Mini 4.6 with SSD recorder.
Running the latest firmware on both devices...
cinematographer & avid editor

Michael Odhiambo

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 6:19 am

Contacted BM, they said to check the cables and if the card is supported. Makes no sense. The card is recording just fine. Even 4.6 Cinemascope at 40 fps Proress 444. Havent pushed it beyond that. However, the failure to recognize only happens on power cycles and they told me to send in the camera. What gives?

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Michael, I think BMD Support is agreeing with you. There is a fault somewhere and they want the camera to be able to find it. If they put in a recommended card and it works fine and you were not using a recommended card, they likely will say the problem is with your card. If they put in a recommended card and experience your problem with restarts, you may get a new camera or they’ll repair your camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Ben Kaiser

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 8:56 am

I'm quite sure this is a software bug, not a hardware issue.
My whole setup (UM4.6EF + SSD recorder, latest firmware on both) works flawlessly.
Had a shoot this week and used a Kingston SSD (which is supported) and the said bug occurred many times.

I hope this discussion could be introduced into upcoming firmware updates...
cinematographer & avid editor

Return to Cinematography