Pros & Cons of using ' ISCO " type - Anamorphic lenses/ adap

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

DorisLondon

Pros & Cons of using ' ISCO " type - Anamorphic lenses/ adap

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 6:25 am

Hello all
Please share your opinions/ experiences Pros & Cons of using Anamorphic lens Adaptors such as the ISCO products ( see below for various examples of Anamorphic adapter products ) there's is a single focus version.

I have a BM mini 4.6k PL mount camera. And I'm am considering this cheap Anamorphic lens alternative to the real thing?

Thank you all. D.

E.g.

https://www.anamorphicstore.com/lenses/ ... lens-dslr/ https://www.anamorphicstore.com/lenses/ ... lens-dslr/

E.g

http://anamorphicshop.com/product/fm-lens/

E.g

http://www.transferconvert.co.uk/cinema ... scope.html

Jack Fairley

Re: Pros & Cons of using ' ISCO

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 pm

I've used that 2x adapter on BMPCC with .58x Speedbooster. The anamorphic aspect is as they describe, but it makes switching lenses really annoying, and you'll probably need a 58mm adapter for your filters. You're also limited on what taking lenses you can use, because of the width of the adapter.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

DorisLondon

Re: Pros & Cons of using ' ISCO " type - Anamorphic lenses/

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:I've used that 2x adapter on BMPCC with .58x Speedbooster. The anamorphic aspect is as they describe, but it makes switching lenses really annoying, and you'll probably need a 58mm adapter for your filters. You're also limited on what taking lenses you can use, because of the width of the adapter.
Thank you Jack for sharing your experience.

D.

Adam Langdon

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 1:49 pm

i'll FINALLY be getting my "Single-focus Sankor 16 2x Anamorphic Adapter" tomorrow. So hopefully i'll let you know how it goes (using the Ursa Mini Pro).
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

DorisLondon

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:i'll FINALLY be getting my "Single-focus Sankor 16 2x Anamorphic Adapter" tomorrow. So hopefully i'll let you know how it goes (using the Ursa Mini Pro).
Sounds interesting Adam. Yes please update us on your experience of this kit.
Cheers
D.
Last edited by DorisLondon on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Doris, there’s also the option of using the SLR Magic Rangefinder that works with their SKR Magic Anamorphot adapters to provide a single focus solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

DorisLondon

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 7:19 am

rick.lang wrote:Doris, there’s also the option of using the SLR Magic Rangefinder that works with their SKR Magic Anamorphot adapters to provide a single focus solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Rick, yes I've read good reactions for the Range Finder, this review here does some comparisons, maybe of interest to others.

I'm leaning towards a "Anamorphic Store" product, namely a " Schneider single focus kit"

Mark over at Anamorphicstore.com has been excellent in terms of his communication and info on his products.

I contacted" Rectilux " over at "Transferconvert.co.uk"

I emailed them via there sales site 3 days ago. So far no reply? Perhaps just a technical hitch or something similar? I'll see. I heard they have a waiting list for there products which is sometimes a positive sign.

Doris.

Adam Langdon

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Here's some results....

This is with a Helios 44-2 58mm @ f2 with a Sankor 16c taking lens, set to INFINITY (without the Single-Focus Adapter):
ImageNoSF by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

Same setup as above but WITH the Single-Focus Adapter:
ImageInfinitySF1 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

Same setup as above (with the adapter), but this is my attempt at manually focusing to Infinity:
ImageInfinitySF2 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

And here's the same lens setup focused as close as possible (with the Single-Focus Adapter):
ImageCloseUpSF by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

My conclusion:
Not worth it. If i want to get wide landscapes, i have to pop off the SF Adapter for decent focus, and then if i was to get my subjects closer within 30ft, i'd have to attach the Adapter. Also the entire lens contraption shifts during focus, so no rack focusing.

Here's some more stills with the adapter and people...
Imageoffice1 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr
Imageanamorphic50ft by Adam Langdon, on Flickr
Imageanamorphic1.5ft by Adam Langdon, on Flickr
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

DorisLondon

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 10:37 pm

Adam Langdon
"My conclusion:
Not worth it. If i want to get wide landscapes, i have to pop off the SF Adapter for decent focus, and then if i was to get my subjects closer within 30ft, i'd have to attach the Adapter. Also the entire lens contraption shifts during focus, so no rack focusing"

Hello Adam

Thank you for sharing this.

Sorry if I've misunderstood, so your disappointed with the usage / physical setup of the Sankor kit? And or the qaulity of the image results?

D.
Last edited by DorisLondon on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Adam Langdon

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 pm

yes, poor image quality and funky design. I would not really recommend it.

DorisLondon

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:yes, poor image quality and funky design. I would not really recommend it.
I'm sorry you had a negative experience Adam. It's a cautionary warning when buying and using these alternatives to so the called " real thing" however like most of us here , I certainly can't afford any of the real anamorphic PL lens for my BM Ursa mini, so we are forced to experiment trail and error style to hope to get that particular look we seek in out film work.
I will continue to search for the best possible but cheaper Anamorphic alternatives out there.

I am still keen to hear from anyone who has used any of the

"AnamorphicStore.com" products?
E.g. "Schneider single focus lens kit"

D.

Return to Cinematography