TERANEX 2D to Convert Frame Rates

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

CyberGypsy

TERANEX 2D to Convert Frame Rates

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 11:28 pm

I hope this makes sense... Currently editing in Adobe Premiere 2017, on a 2012 Mac Pro and would like to convert a boatload of 59.94 720p MXF files to 1080p 23.98 ProRes HQ.

It had been suggested to use a TERANEX 2D Converter... using the BMD Desktop Video application to playback the 59.94 720p MXF files via HDMI connected to the 2D... convert to 1080p 23.98 ProRes HQ and capture via a Decklink Mini Recorder 4K at the same time, to the same computer.

I think this too time consuming as it would be real time and probably would not work... what does anyone else think? Any ideas on how to best accomplish this conversion?

Scott Smith

Re: TERANEX 2D to Convert Frame Rates

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 2:03 pm

It ought to work, but you would probably do at least as well to drop these files into Adobe Media Encoder, and crank them out using a software conversion. I have inspected conversions of this nature for Terenex vs AME before, and noticed a few conversion artifacts here and there in both the hardware conversion and the software conversion, but overall preferred the software conversion. It will look pretty good with either, but the software can be loaded up into a queue, and cranked out overnight or over a weekend when you aren't there.

AME also allows you to add some other stuff like maybe audio normalization, or a LUT, or a watermark, as well as to trim the head and tail as needed during the conversion.

This is a distinct advantage of convenience. Just make sure you have enough storage available when you start.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

CyberGypsy

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Thank you for the reply Scott.

The part that I question is how would the user be able to playback and record at the same time, on the same computer? Will the TERANEX 2D do this using the BMD Desktop Video app?

The user is essentially proposing creating a loop... Playback through the BMD Desktop Video app via HDMI connected to the HDMI input of the TERANEX 2D... change the standards of the 59.94 720p MXF file to 1080p 23.98 ProRes HQ (in the TERANEX 2D) and then capture the output of the TERANEX 2D via the same BMD Desktop Video app (or Premiere Pro). I have never been able to playback and record at the same time on the same computer.

It seems a better solution, other than converting in AME or Apple Compressor 4, would be to route the output of the TERANEX 2D to a BMD Hyperdeck Studioor Hyperdeck Mini. At least that way the files would be readily available.

You also say that you have seen artifacts in both the hardware and software conversions... The user already complains of artifacts in the AME conversions. I guess there is really no way to avoid artifacts when working with digital files. Even working with tape you would get the occasional artifact.

Jack Fairley

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 6:29 pm

If the user doesn't want "artifacts" you need to pay for a true framerate conversion solution like Alchemist. 720p59.94 to 1080p23.98 will probably be rough anyway, both because of the low resolution and vastly different look of motion.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Scott Smith

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Yeah, going to a hyper deck would certainly be easier than trying to play and record in the same computer.

I worked on an internationally televised nature show. For international delivery, we sent the masters out to Crawford in Atlanta for conversion of this type (though from prores to mxf). They used a Teranex. Says good things about the Teranex. However, I also made versions using a two-pass transcode in adobe media encoder. We ended up using the AME version, as it looked slightly better.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Teranex is nothing like Alchemist or Tachyon.
It doesn't support motion adaptive conversion- only plain simple frame blending. I'm not sure if it does support advanced pulldown methods, like going from 25p to 59.94i. I hope it does.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:If the user doesn't want "artifacts" you need to pay for a true framerate conversion solution like Alchemist. 720p59.94 to 1080p23.98 will probably be rough anyway, both because of the low resolution and vastly different look of motion.

59.94p will convert fine (there won't be almost any artefacts) with Alchemist/Tachyon to 23.976p, but motion will be bit "harsh" (I mean there won't be much of motion blur like it's in case of real 24p).
I've done some 59.94i operas to 24p for cinema projection and they looked good. Cinema projection is very forgiving compared ot TVs, specially LCD TVs for 24p.

CyberGypsy

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 2:26 am

Thank you everyone for your replies. Have a great weekend!

Return to Post Production