No Saver node in Fusion page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kraig Winterbottom

No Saver node in Fusion page

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 5:31 am

Hi!

Just a couple quick questions:

1) Is the Saver node not included for exporting FBX from the Fusion page in Resolve? The FBXExporter node is there but there is no way I can see to export that data.

2) Is Fusion in Resolve fully featured? I've seen conflicting reports on this but would love to get a clear answer. For me the HUGE thing about the integration is the potential for having Resolve's colour tools for compositing - not the other way around (having Fusion tools in Resolve). Also having all those tools in one place as a freelancer generalist would be an absolute dream so I have high hopes that this will eventually be fully integrated sooner or later.

3) I have seen that a full Fusion license will now unlock a full version of Resolve. Does this work the other way around? As in can I use my full license for Resolve to unlock the standalone version of Fusion? With them both being the same price I would hope this to be true but would be interested to hear why this might not be the case if it isn't.

Cheers :)

Kraig.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: No Saver node in Fusion page

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 7:15 am

Resolve does not use Savers or Loaders like the standalone Fusion but we are looking into improving the connectivity between them.

The Fusion integration is at beta 2 stage, and there are many months of ongoing improvements we will make to Fusion in Resolve. Its already faster in some tools and we are just getting started.

The Fusion Studio standalone dongle can be used for Resolve Studio. We don't have plans for the Resolve Studio dongle to support Fusion standalone. This lets users of Fusion Studio make their complex comps and them import them into Resolve for use in the timeline.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

alan bovine

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 7:55 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:The Fusion Studio standalone dongle can be used for Resolve Studio. We don't have plans for the Resolve Studio dongle to support Fusion standalone. This lets users of Fusion Studio make their complex comps and them import them into Resolve for use in the timeline.

Hi Peter, good to hear Fusion standalone won't go away. I'm very much a supporter of Fusion in Resolve, but its not the features that should be ported it is also context of how VFX shots in a larger pipeline is handled that is currently not making ResolveFusion a working option.

I'm writing some proper feedback at the moment tailored to VFX specific workflows that won't fit inside Resolve.

Its a great start and I'm loving the idea of Fusion in Resolve, but only if Fusion Standalone will still be a product, as they do actually serve two different purposes and I firmly believe there's room for both.

-ab
Fusion video tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCeDas53OEcWcRujkQiwLg/videos?view_as=subscriber
Fusion Tools : https://github.com/statixVFX/stx_tools
Nuke 2 Fusion nodes : https://github.com/statixVFX/nuke2fusion

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 1:18 am

Looking forward to your feedback own where VFX specific workflows that won't fit inside Resolve.. so we can solve those issues too.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Sander de Regt

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Looking forward to your feedback own where VFX specific workflows that won't fit inside Resolve.. so we can solve those issues too.

Peter, what is the best place for this kind of feedback? Also here in the forum?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

roger.magnusson

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Since there's no Saver node, shouldn't the MediaOut node have the color space and gamma conversion tools that the Saver node has? I use those all the time.

Kraig Winterbottom

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks for the reply Peter.

In the meantime, is there any way at all for me to be able to export my scene data as FBX without the Saver node?

Just for clarity, is the goal for Fusion in Resolve eventually have the same features as Fusion Standalone?

I'd love to see Fusion fully integrated into Resolve. Being able to do everything in one package without any round tripping or dynamic linking would be an absolute dream :)

I understand the idea of having Resolve unlocked for Fusion users and think it's a great idea, I just feel a little like Resolve license holders haven't really been considered when a Fusion user paying the exact same price as a Resolve user gets both pieces of software.

I hope that doesn't sound too unreasonable :)

Might there be an upgrade path in future for people with a full Resolve license who want to have both Fusion and Resolve?

Kraig Winterbottom

PostSat May 12, 2018 2:08 am

Peter, I don't suppose anyone could assist me with my question about whether or not it's possible to export FBX from Resolve's Fusion?

You are welcome to ignore my rantings about the pricing, I just need to know about FBX as I'm considering whether or not to renew my Nuke seat for another quarter.

Cheers!

-KW-

Return to DaVinci Resolve