Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K!!!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Wayne Steven

Re: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K!!!

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 12:31 pm

USB 3 was designed to take a lot more power than USB 2, but it could be that it's not enough for the camera. It's around 700gm so I'm interested in how much free space is in there myself. Unfortunately it is so big that adding a grip with hidden battery in it doesn't seem such an appealing idea. I was thinking, as it's slender, something like they had for the gh4, underneath. That setup did not look so nice on the gh4 because it looked too tall. But such a unit might make this camera look less thin (and provide space for usb 3 drives).
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 12:33 pm

It's 1.5x as wide as the huge GH3/GH4/GH4R/GH5/GH5s without added height.
So making it 1.5x as high with a battery grip (or a Tascam DR-701D) should not be an issue.

Wayne Steven

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:Hmn, yeah. Compare the raw ratios with a Raven. Some of that Red gear gets so high, I question it.

Re-edit:

It's like this visually lossless stuff. Visually lossless would include near lossless which 3:1 might be, and 4:1 is likely. But say on a codec like cineform non raw. You could do 10:1. That likely would have been regarded as in the range of visually lossless, but that doesn't mean 4:1 visually lossless is not way better. I would be reluctant to use anything above 6:1 on that sort of codec (different codecs have different ratios at which they hit these things) for something good. The more good, the closer to 2:1-3:1 I would want (which should be lossless it very close). To do visually lossless, one thing they do is they fudge the accuracy of pixels in a way that is hard to notice outrightly, to make them more compressible. But as you do this the contrast detail between pixels goes down and it gets more smudgy look. As John would put it, your picture IQ goes down. So, how they choose to degrade and limit this degregation will preserve more subconscious picture appeal. So, you might buy a video camera, and that video camera maybe set up for the skin of people in the market it was made for, to render people's skin better. That is one of the things you want to preserve. Their is a hierarchy of how people see to preserve. The shape of things, details, facial structure and details. These sorts of things. You want a certain level of look on skin, cloths around skin, or longer shots cloths, bushes and shapes of leaves blowing around, and preserving more detail where it's loss will be noticed more. So, on the face you might want 4:1-2:1, having that around the face 4:1-2:1, but another thing in a scene you might make them compressible 10:1, others things between 4:1-10:1. Now, you average compression from 4:1(extreme closeup to stop the face it dipping in quality too much)-6:1, some saving here and there, to give more preservation elsewhere. There is a variety of ways a manufacturer can set things up to preserve more important quality areas.

I don't know if there is any study, but I assume you can treat RAW image the same as final debayered. If anything it may compress "better" as we know its nature (Bayer pattern, so we could optimise codec). Not 100% sure. Lower compression ration comes mainly from fact that RAW is treated as best possible recording, so we want it to be high quality. 3:1 is definitely really high quality.
RED has many quality levels (although they use I assume more efficient JPEG2000) and lot of people record 5:1, 7:1 etc. There is nothing what stops you record RAW as h264. How compressing RAW effects final debayered quality (compared to compressing final video) can be measured, so it's not that big mystery if one wishes to evaluate it.

Andrew, I knew a guy. But my thoughts on this is that you might compress normal Bayer a bit more because the low pass filters on them normally spread the light so wide across neighbouring pixels it reduces the difference between neighbouring pixels like what lossy compression does to make images more compressible. In other words it's more compressible because the image is compromised. They do this to stop bad interpolation effects due to large gaps in the primary colours at each colour site. So, at each site you loose upto 2/3rds of the information, and have to hop pixels to get to the next red or blue etc. Spreading the light reduces this effect. Arri colour science uses the overlap in the performance curves of the primaries to work.things out to. Green overlaps a fair bit with red and blue. So some red and blue light signal comes through on the green pixels, and some green on the red and blue. It's all compromises. But the BM cinema cameras typically don't come with low pass filters, but rely instead on oversampling resolution. It shoots at a higher resolution then drops back the resolution, the misaligned pixel boundaries share data between neighbouring pixels reducing some artifacts. This works to a certain extent, but problems still occur.

Now, Raw Bayer provides quality as it's exactly what the sensor sees before processing and compression (before Raw started to be marketed as Bayer compressed). You then have good quality to start processing. But better raw is three+ color pixels schemes, usually using prisms that produce 4:4:4 RGB information per pixel which is then usually transformed into regular 4:4:4 for better compression etc. The foveon X3, and other manufacturers in research (Canon in product) uses a way to derive three or more colour information per pixel vertically without prisms and three separate sensors.

Unfortunately, three chip prism setups suffered a few issues and limitations on aperture size, and Bayer single chip was cheaper.

Do we even know if this camera uses Bayer, or one of the Sony color filter pattern schemes?
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 1:11 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:It's 1.5x as wide as the huge GH3/GH4/GH4R/GH5/GH5s without added height.
So making it 1.5x as high with a battery grip (or a Tascam DR-701D) should not be an issue.

+1. Yeah, that sort of undercarriage. But for me even the gh5 is too much. I'd be happy with a uhd 50fps 12 bit+ the size of a thick smart phone with a mount (and wireless 4G audio level microphone setup). 4 inch is still usable for framing. But for other people the bulk is not such an issue.

This really makes you wonder, why not upgrade the old 4kp30 digital cinema camera years ago?

TimSquires

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 2:22 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:I'd be happy with a uhd 50fps 12 bit+ the size of a thick smart phone with a mount

A happy RED Hydrogen customer?

(Hoping that no one from reduser sees any cynicism here...)
Tim Squires
UK

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Andrew, I knew a guy. But my thoughts on this is that you might compress normal Bayer a bit more because the low pass filters on them normally spread the light so wide across neighbouring pixels it reduces the difference between neighbouring pixels like what lossy compression does to make images more compressible. In other words it's more compressible because the image is compromised. They do this to stop bad interpolation effects due to large gaps in the primary colours at each colour site. So, at each site you loose upto 2/3rds of the information, and have to hop pixels to get to the next red or blue etc. Spreading the light reduces this effect. Arri colour science uses the overlap in the performance curves of the primaries to work.things out to. Green overlaps a fair bit with red and blue. So some red and blue light signal comes through on the green pixels, and some green on the red and blue. It's all compromises. But the BM cinema cameras typically don't come with low pass filters, but rely instead on oversampling resolution. It shoots at a higher resolution then drops back the resolution, the misaligned pixel boundaries share data between neighbouring pixels reducing some artifacts. This works to a certain extent, but problems still occur.

Now, Raw Bayer provides quality as it's exactly what the sensor sees before processing and compression (before Raw started to be marketed as Bayer compressed). You then have good quality to start processing. But better raw is three+ color pixels schemes, usually using prisms that produce 4:4:4 RGB information per pixel which is then usually transformed into regular 4:4:4 for better compression etc. The foveon X3, and other manufacturers in research (Canon in product) uses a way to derive three or more colour information per pixel vertically without prisms and three separate sensors.

Unfortunately, three chip prism setups suffered a few issues and limitations on aperture size, and Bayer single chip was cheaper.

Do we even know if this camera uses Bayer, or one of the Sony color filter pattern schemes?

Well, low pass filtering is a good thing as most real life processes don't have digital nature.
If you try to be very precise/digital (0,1) then things are not necessarily good (well- this is probably why so many people prefers film and analog audio).
My point is that compressing RAW in camera is good thing as it's less data to start with. When you look at it from storage/processing point it's pointless to expand it (debayer etc. ) and then compress. What happens with data at sensor level is another story :) Whatever trick ARRI is using it does work- their digital image is "nice".

I think it's Bayer pattern. With dcraw you can easily get RAW DNG pixels as normal TIFF and analyse them.

Yue Shi Lai

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 12:18 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:My point is that compressing RAW in camera is good thing as it's less data to start with. When you look at it from storage/processing point it's pointless to expand it (debayer etc. ) and then compress. What happens with data at sensor level is another story :) Whatever trick ARRI is using it does work- their digital image is "nice".

There is no trick. ARRIRAW has no compression at all, not even lossless. Alexa open gate has 3414x2198 pixels, and at 12 bit/pixel, the uncompressed bit rate is 11.26 MB/frame, exactly the bit rate of open gate ARRIRAW. Unlike CinemaDNG, though, ARRIRAW is logarithmically quantized (and therefore with more than 12 stops dynamic range stored in the 12 bits).
Last edited by Yue Shi Lai on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Savannah Miller

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 12:24 am

During the filming of Altered Carbon they were pushing 7TB for a single day of shooting. And that was with 5K raw on the Alexa 65. Ridiculous.

Greg Lee

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 3:34 am

Savannah Miller wrote:During the filming of Altered Carbon they were pushing 7TB for a single day of shooting. And that was with 5K raw on the Alexa 65. Ridiculous.

And the screenplays took up about 25 megabytes. ;)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:23 am

Yue Shi Lai wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:My point is that compressing RAW in camera is good thing as it's less data to start with. When you look at it from storage/processing point it's pointless to expand it (debayer etc. ) and then compress. What happens with data at sensor level is another story :) Whatever trick ARRI is using it does work- their digital image is "nice".

There is no trick. ARRIRAW has no compression at all, not even lossless. Alexa open gate has 3414x2198 pixels, and at 12 bit/pixel, the uncompressed bit rate is 11.26 MB/frame, exactly the bit rate of open gate ARRIRAW. Unlike CinemaDNG, though, ARRIRAW is logarithmically quantized (and therefore with more than 12 stops dynamic range stored in the 12 bits).

I know Arri RAW is uncompressed (this is not the main reason for their quality though). I am talking about their 'trick' with sensor design/color science.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:28 am

Savannah Miller wrote:During the filming of Altered Carbon they were pushing 7TB for a single day of shooting. And that was with 5K raw on the Alexa 65. Ridiculous.

Is it that crazy size for movie with big budget?

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:53 am

Kim Janson wrote:Maybe not if considering the hard disk cost, even if they are using SSD raid arrays, but the data management is a nightmare. It takes a loooong time to transfer and make a backup of 7TB.

That's the job of the Digital Media Technician (and the role of recording proxies in parallel if it becomes a workflow-problem).

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:

Is it that crazy size for movie with big budget?

A TB is not what it used to be, PB is just around the corner. I can remember when a 10MB drive was a big deal. When everything becomes data, everyone will collect a lot of it.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Yue Shi Lai wrote:Unlike CinemaDNG, though, ARRIRAW is logarithmically quantized (and therefore with more than 12 stops dynamic range stored in the 12 bits).

CinemaDNG does support logarithmic encoding and we make use it of it for our cameras like the 4.6K, BMCC, Pocket, etc. Its why there is a linearization table in our DNG headers.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Yue Shi Lai

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 3:20 am

CinemaDNG does support logarithmic encoding and we make use it of it for our cameras like the 4.6K, BMCC, Pocket, etc. Its why there is a linearization table in our DNG headers.

Many thanks for the clarification. I seem to have overlooked this table so far. Plotting from the table...
bmd_linearization.png
bmd_linearization.png (15.79 KiB) Viewed 60603 times

Preben Randhol

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 10:01 am

Que Thompson wrote:A GH5, used properly, will WOW them. .

Having looked at videos made with GH5 and GH5s online, I hope the BMPCC 4k keeps the cinematic look like the BMPCC. GH5 clips do not have this.
Last edited by Preben Randhol on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Paines

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Preben Randhol wrote:
Que Thompson wrote:
John Paines wrote:A GH5, used properly, will WOW them. .

Having looked at videos made with GH5 and GH5s online, I hope the BMPCC 4k keeps the cinematic look like the BMPCC. GH5 clips do not have this.

The formatting of your quote falsely attributes a high opinion of GH5/GH5s ("WOW") to me. I don't share that opinion. It's Que's, not mine.

Cheers, and here's to truth in advertising....

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 3:02 pm

Speaking of the GH5s -
Renowned camera tester Alan Roberts has released his EBU assessment of the Panasonic GH5s.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/04/27/panasonic-gh5s-ebu-assessment/

Wayne Steven

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 3:36 pm

What was it, 14.6 stops without kneeing?

Preben Randhol

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 4:42 pm

John Paines wrote:
Preben Randhol wrote:

The formatting of your quote falsely attributes a high opinion of GH5/GH5s ("WOW") to me. I don't share that opinion. It's Que's, not mine.

Cheers, and here's to truth in advertising....

Sorry, that was not my intention. Hard to get the quoting right on the mobile.

Preben Randhol

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 11:08 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Speaking of the GH5s -
Renowned camera tester Alan Roberts has released his EBU assessment of the Panasonic GH5s.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/04/27/panasonic-gh5s-ebu-assessment/

Why does he say less than 1" sensor?

Chris McMeekin

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 3:32 pm

Why do people keep comparing this to the GH5 and Sonys? The price comparison is completely stupid, as this cannot take stills. So saying this is cheaper is misleading.

Denny Smith

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 3:40 pm

Agreed, but what they are comparing is the dual ISO and similar sensor, shared by the cameras. The GH5S is the only other camera close to the new Pocket 4K, but they are entirely different cameras, designed for different markets, with some overlap between them.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Not to mention, Denny and Chris, there has been some speculation, both cameras along with the kinefinity Terra 4K, that they share the same sensor - https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/new_pro/may_2017/imx294cjk_e.html.

cabraldemello

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Is there a portable (cheap/not pricy) battery system suitable for steadycam that works for BMPC4K and would also work well for the 4K Pocket Camera?

Denny Smith

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 7:48 pm

Yes Gene, same Sony Sensor, which is what I called “similar” to be safe, since this has not been officially confirmed
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dane Stewart

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 3:44 am

cabraldemello wrote:Is there a portable (cheap/not pricy) battery system suitable for steadycam that works for BMPC4K and would also work well for the 4K Pocket Camera?

Yes. I would consider the JuiceBox Magic Power battery fitting that description.
It is smaller and lighter than any V-Mount battery but will power a BMPCC for about 8-hours and a BMCC for about 5 hours.
The draw of the BMPC4k and the new 4K Pocket should be in the neighborhood of 4-6 hours from one of these. They cost right around $100 and you can get them straight from www.Juicebox.direct
Cameras: Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3), Sansung NX1
Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Wayne Steven

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 4:17 am

Chris McMeekin wrote:Why do people keep comparing this to the GH5 and Sonys? The price comparison is completely stupid, as this cannot take stills. So saying this is cheaper is misleading.

It takes stills around 24-240 times a second in seperate files.

Pavel Lavrov

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Im still trying to figure out why there was such a rush to push Pocket 4K out so early in development. All we got right now is a lot of tech specs on a paper and no footage to back it up. Yes BD has preproduction models, but they won’t start shipping for another year. It would be perfect to announce and ship it next NAB show...

Really hoping they’re not cutting corners and get good product out, as promised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Wayne Steven

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Frankly, without still features its much less desirable. Why not have a step record, touch button save a frame marked still. Touch a button during record flag the frame as desirable for stills. Get resolve to track down these frame "points" so you can extract frames around it as stills. Hold button for bursts. See, its not too difficult. If people want the camera to setup their stills for them, they might have to wait. I'm happy to have simple focus and a focus control/ring. I think others using this can get by too.

This camera is a bit on the low end for me. I'd rather buy a better camera, but nothing is available. Plus zcam didn't do it's $699 4k c1r raw cinema camera, or a 4kp50 version of their old 4kp30 $599 non raw version. I want more than 12 bits for 12 bit hdr delivery, best HDMI or TB, and WiFi, twin TB or USB, and more dynamic range. 120fps 4k, and half the size. This is like the camera I really wanted 4-6 years ago (remember the original 4k cinema camera which didn't do 4kp50). 4.5k+ plus too. I upgrade what spec I'm looking for as time goes by. Most of the above is there for practical reasons. Dual usb3 allows you to stripe for higher data rates, hit swap between drives, run something off the second port. TB also allows higher speed off camera recording and to replace the HDMI and long haul optical cabling on set. More dynamic range and bits allow you to do more, and 4kp120 allows you to do slow motion, and setup for 3D. 4.5k+ allows you to mitigate some aliasing and moire issues.

I actually was watching some news footage tonight from a camera without low pass filter. Horrible crawling backgrounds. I don't want to see that again. This camera means I might have to drop resolution to get rid of it, or buy a low pass filter. There is hundreds of dollars extra and deciding when to swap it in or out.

If Sigma doesn't introduce a x3 camera, I might not have choices. Zcam really needs to drop their e2 price in half, but they have other richer markets in mind. Just the inclusion of the Nvidia intelligent vision AI is enough to get the camera used in intelligent vision development circles. That could be thousands to tens of thousands of sales. On the factory floor too, even in science. The sort of thing I suggested BM could have done, could have radically shifted costs and lowered heat build up at higher frame and data rates, programmed in high quality raw (and if a sigma chip 4:4:4 native).
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 3:01 pm

Pavel. They wanted to hold people over. I think they are aiming for a big release at a later show, and maybe even wanted it to be ready for nab this year. Things slip, and sometimes parts you want get delayed. Even if it has the sensor of the gh5s, that camera could have been lined up earlier to get them.

Still hoping for a latest sensor micro 4kp50 12 bit plus version when the pocket comes out.

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 3:24 pm

I’m lost. The Pocket 4K takes single still images in either open gate or the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 4:49 pm

Also Pavel Sept. is only five months out, not a year away. Announcing now, which Panasonic also did with the EVA1 last year, builds its market up and let’s poten users/buyers what is coming up very quickly. Broadcast users get what is available at a price they are willing to pay, not much per-planning. Cinematographers usually plan ahead and are more interested pushing the boundaries of what can be done in a Camera.

So BM saying we have this “great new” camera coming down the pipeline and this is what it will do, is not being unreasonable, giving everyone a heads up on what is coming out soon.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K!!!

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 8:37 pm

Watched a lot of videos from NAB 2018 that repeated the 5” monitor is the same as the “URSA Mini (4.6K)”. The web site describes it as super bright or some other meaningless phrase and BMD has defined the screen nits. If it’s truly the same as what I have on the URSA Mini 4.6K, that will be disappointing since my screen can be unusable in bright light although it will be perfect otherwise. I don’t want to rig this ‘pocket’ camera much so I’m resisting adding that incredible SmallHD 703 for example that actually is brighter than any daylight.

That would mean that the URSA Mini 4.6K with BMVF would always be the default choice for very bright exteriors. And the Pocket 4K would always be the default for all low light situations. In between, either camera may do depending upon the situation.

I have this nightmare that within a year of buying the Pocket 4K, there will be a Mark II with a 1500 nit screen and a neat add-on to integrate a TB SSD that includes a larger battery so the camera can easily run for two hours. With DNxHR and ProRes raw. $1,495. Oh well at least I can console myself that I can put those superb SLR Magic ND 82mm screw-on filters to good use on the Pocket 4K.

I’m not good at predicting these things so in reality it might have internal ND filtration too!
Rick Lang

Jim Giberti

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 9:21 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I’m not good at predicting these things so in reality it might have internal ND filtration too!

I seem to remember from the B&H Q&A that was posted that BM stated that there is some ND filtration and that you may want to add more.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 11:29 pm

rick.lang wrote:I have this nightmare that within a year of buying the Pocket 4K, there will be a Mark II with a 1500 nit screen and a neat add-on to integrate a TB SSD that includes a larger battery so the camera can easily run for two hours. With DNxHR and ProRes raw. $1,495. Oh well at least I can console myself that I can put those superb SLR Magic ND 82mm screw-on filters to good use on the Pocket 4K.

I’m not good at predicting these things so in reality it might have internal ND filtration too!

Sounds good, but I would predict that the next camera from BM will be full frame.

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 11:59 pm

Jim Giberti wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:I’m not good at predicting these things so in reality it might have internal ND filtration too!

I seem to remember from the B&H Q&A that was posted that BM stated that there is some ND filtration and that you may want to add more.

Jim, that may have referred to infrared filtration on the sensor glass.

Rick Lang

Yue Shi Lai

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 3:27 am

rick.lang wrote:Watched a lot of videos from NAB 2018 that repeated the 5” monitor is the same as the “URSA Mini (4.6K)”. The web site describes it as super bright or some other meaningless phrase and BMD has defined the screen nits. If it’s truly the same as what I have on the URSA Mini 4.6K, that will be disappointing since my screen can be unusable in bright light although it will be perfect otherwise.

If that is the same screen, I measured it using a spectrophotometer: Its CIE Y luminance is 480 nt. It is even nowhere near the 700-1000 that modern smartphones can output. I have not seen anywhere similar specifications given by BMD, other than the 'Screen Dimensions 5" 1920 x 1080' and 'Screen Type LCD capacitive touchscreen'.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 9:10 am

Kim Janson wrote:I understood too that it takes stils, but due the resolution and I assume focus, I do not think it will be interesting still camera.

What gets me a bit lost is that BMD releases a camera with specs like Poket4k has at the price it has and people want more at lower price. Sure you can have that, in 5 years.

It's not too difficult, but I think people just expect more than is needed to do stills. 4k is ok.

Put it this way. Years ago Zcam released the world's smallest E1 M4/3rds mount 4kp30 camera people have been picking up for $199 (people have also picked up the bit bigger Yi m43rds camera for $299 with lens think). Both are maybe $10 off being able to record raw to disk uncompressed. Zcam did do a cinema camera for $599/$699 years ago, which seems to have got only to China briefly, but the c1r raw version didn't come out from what I can tell.

It's amazing how close zcam has been to success. The e1 hasn't got overhelming praise, but a few things different it would have been great. They too have full HD HDMI, preventing you from recording 4K uncompressed from it. The reports on how good the HDMI is, is worth reading.

Jim Giberti

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Jim, that may have referred to infrared filtration on the sensor glass.

Duh. I hadn't had my coffee yet I guess. Or I'm so used to using IR/NDs that I can't differentiate any longer.

But that point about IR filtration is one that I did want bring up.
Would this be the first BM camera that has IR filtration?

Tim Kraemer

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Has there been any talk of Micro cinema camera 4k? I sure would like one of those.

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 6:10 pm

Only from us wanting one, nothing from BM.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Jim Giberti wrote:
Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Jim, that may have referred to infrared filtration on the sensor glass.

Duh. I hadn't had my coffee yet I guess. Or I'm so used to using IR/NDs that I can't differentiate any longer.

I believe they all have mild infrared attenuation in the sensor glass.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 7:45 pm

Yue Shi Lai wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Watched a lot of videos from NAB 2018 that repeated the 5” monitor is the same as the “URSA Mini (4.6K)”. The web site describes it as super bright or some other meaningless phrase and BMD has defined the screen nits. If it’s truly the same as what I have on the URSA Mini 4.6K, that will be disappointing since my screen can be unusable in bright light although it will be perfect otherwise.

If that is the same screen, I measured it using a spectrophotometer: Its CIE Y luminance is 480 nt. It is even nowhere near the 700-1000 that modern smartphones can output. I have not seen anywhere similar specifications given by BMD, other than the 'Screen Dimensions 5" 1920 x 1080' and 'Screen Type LCD capacitive touchscreen'.

Super bright? Not even close, unless this new camera isn’t quite identical to the URSA Mini monitors. Here’s hoping that BMD announced the NITs when it ships.

Rick Lang

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 01, 2018 12:38 am

rick.lang wrote:
Jim Giberti wrote:

I believe they all have mild infrared attenuation in the sensor glass.

Rick, you are correct. It's a common misconception that our cameras don't have IR filtration. If that is indeed the case, you'll be capturing IR images.

Wayne Steven

PostTue May 01, 2018 7:44 am

What is mild attenuation then, some infrared image? What sort of filter performance curve and IR filtering curve did the original pocket have Kristian? Thanks.

Yue Shi Lai

PostWed May 02, 2018 9:33 am

Wayne Steven wrote:What is mild attenuation then, some infrared image? What sort of filter performance curve and IR filtering curve did the original pocket have Kristian? Thanks.

The transmittance at 700 nm is about 3.8-4.7% (OD 1.3-1.4, or 4.4-4.7 stops). You can compare this to various stills cameras being measured here: https://kolarivision.com/articles/inter ... nsmission/ , which are usually < 1% at 700 nm (and some of the exceptions shown there, like Nikon D100, are actually well-known for IR pollution). Another way to compare: The human 2° L cone response at 700 nm is about 0.6%, so the camera is roughly 7x (or 2.8 stops) more sensitive than your eye.

This was measured indirectly, comparing camera response against the 630-730 nm quantum efficiency in Fairchild's data sheet. If BMD has direct measurement (with me reluctant to disassemble the filter just for this purpose), and can share it with us, that would be very appreciated.

Wayne Steven

PostWed May 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks Yue. So, this is for the original pocket? It's very acceptable. I thought they might be implying less than 50% IR removal. I wonder if it produces the mild pastel I see, or is it still the colour filter.

Preben Randhol

PostWed May 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Pavel Lavrov wrote:Im still trying to figure out why there was such a rush to push Pocket 4K out so early in development. All we got right now is a lot of tech specs on a paper and no footage to back it up. Yes BD has preproduction models, but they won’t start shipping for another year. It would be perfect to announce and ship it next NAB show...

Really hoping they’re not cutting corners and get good product out, as promised.

It is good advertisement. Creating interest and chatter in forums :-)

Preben Randhol

PostWed May 02, 2018 8:25 pm

rick.lang wrote:Watched a lot of videos from NAB 2018 that repeated the 5” monitor is the same as the “URSA Mini (4.6K)”.

What is the orientation of the polarization on the URSA mini screen? I hope it is not like the BMPCC which have perpendicular polarization to sunglasses, meaning the screen goes black if you are wearing sunglasses in the sun.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography