Conforming Issues

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Shaheryar Ahmed

Conforming Issues

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 8:37 am

Hey all... I just upgraded to Resolve Lite 9. I am currently facing problems regarding conforming. I use Premiere Pro CS5 and After Effects CS5 for editing and composting. I was just testing Resolve out and cut a sequence with 5dmk2 footage. I cut the footage and exported an EDL. I took the sequence in AE and did the denoising and exported a 16bit Tiff sequence. I imported that in Resolve and pre conformed it with the edl generated earlier. And the sequences are not the way they should be. I mean they are in order but they are all messed up. I also tried doing the AAF and XML but they don't link to their media correctly. Am I doing something wrong or what?

I downloaded Resolve 9. Uninstalled Resolve 8. Installed Resolve 9 and made a new database because I had not done any project on Resovle 8 that I'd want or anything. Everything was super good on resolve 8 in terms of conforming. Please help me out.
-SHAHERYAR AHMED-

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Conforming Issues

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 4:58 pm

The basic principle of conforming is to have some method to identify every clip individually, then the in and out points. If all you have is timecode, that can work if you record time of day timecode and all the shots are recorded on one day, thus unique, but its more likely that you have all clips starting at 00:00:00:00 timecode and have not used the file name to separate the clips.

Have a look at the manual, the chapter on preparation for conforming will give you a guide. Also consider using another codec as tiff is not as efficient in disk I/O as others, like ProRes or DNxHD.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Michael Phillips

Re: Conforming Issues

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Seeing as TIFF does not carry timecode, I am going to assume that the sequential file naming you did had an absolute frame count that matched whatever the original .mov clips had? If timecode was 00:00:00:00, then that would be<original .mov filename> _0000000.tif for the filename. But if you were exporting clips that were offsets into that file, then you would have t make sure the frame count matches.

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

Return to Post Production