ATEM Television Studio Pro HD (PiP)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Olivier Grenon

ATEM Television Studio Pro HD (PiP)

PostWed May 17, 2017 4:47 am

Hi,

Can we make this type of picture in picture with the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD? (See the attachments)

Thanks,

Olivier
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2017-05-17 à 00.32.33.png
Capture d’écran 2017-05-17 à 00.32.33.png (293.36 KiB) Viewed 13687 times
Capture d’écran 2017-05-17 à 00.34.05.png
Capture d’écran 2017-05-17 à 00.34.05.png (460.24 KiB) Viewed 13687 times

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM Television Studio Pro HD (PiP)

PostWed May 17, 2017 9:05 pm

What you show here are 2 PIP's.. Or better called Super source.. Which is only available at the 2ME mixers..

Because you want to have your speaker, and your presentation to show both windowed.. Against a background..
This is not possible with the cheapest mixers.. You could do it with 2 mixers behind each other.. But for 2K you spend your money on a 2ME ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Sander Vreuls

PostWed May 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Or thinking out of the box, get a Decimator DMON-QUAD (the new one), scale 2 inputs to what you want, output that multiview window into the atem and key a graphic with 2 alpha key holes for the windows over it. Cheap external DVE.

MambaFiber.com

PostThu May 18, 2017 2:05 am

Sander Vreuls wrote:Or thinking out of the box, get a Decimator DMON-QUAD (the new one), scale 2 inputs to what you want, output that multiview window into the atem and key a graphic with 2 alpha key holes for the windows over it. Cheap external DVE.

now THAT is an excellent idea!! :D
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Olivier Grenon

PostThu May 18, 2017 5:03 am

hahaha, I should try one day (I have the Decimator DMON-QUAD)

Yeah this is from a Atem 1 M/E or 2 M/E swicher

I hope that eventually it will add this option, in an affordable unit.

Sander Vreuls

PostThu May 18, 2017 8:15 am

One downside is that the Windows in the decimator are not allowed to overlap. So better for equal splits. We have used such tricks at award shows when you needed 5 picture in pictures to show all the nominees.
Last edited by Sander Vreuls on Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

PostThu May 18, 2017 9:42 am

Hahaha Sander, Excelent out of the box thinking.. :D Unfortunatly not as flexible as with the Supersource function of the 2ME.. But a great work arround..

But for the Topic Starter Dmon quad got cheaper but still 295 dollar..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ian Morrish

PostSat May 20, 2017 7:33 am

Although you can only do one PiP in the TVS HD, you can also have a background with transition showing cropped camera shot and use the USK DVE for the PIP. Demo in the video below...
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Albert

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi I have a question, Is there any possible to mute the Super source but leave the audio of main picture, when I turned all AFV on?

I made it before, of the first time I tried Super source. but now I don't know how to make that happen again,

Thanks.

droza_

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Olivier Grenon wrote:Hi,

Can we make this type of picture in picture with the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD? (See the attachments)

Thanks,

Olivier

I do exactly this type of setup all the time with the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD. Here's how:
1. The camera feed is the active image, but I position the speaker to the side, where they will end up after the rest of the camera feed gets covered over...
2. Upstream is the Powerpoint, resized and placed where I want it.
3. Downstream is the "background"... which I prepare with two holes in it. It goes on top of everything, but looks like any other background of this sort. One hole for the Powerpoint, and one hole for the speaker.

Works great. I actually use a Skaarhoj controller (MC-5) to set up multiple versions of these views, (the Skaarhoj also controls a PTZOptics camera, so I can position the speaker where I need), so I can hit a single button on the Skaarhoj and it does everything needed to switch between many different sorts of Speak+PPT+background configurations (moving the PTZOptics camera, switching all the options on the TVSHD, etc.) Works great. Of course a 2ME would be even easier, but honestly it wasn't that hard to set up.

Andrew Martin

PostTue May 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Sander Vreuls wrote:One downside is that the Windows in the decimator are not allowed to overlap. So better for equal splits. We have used such tricks at award shows when you needed 5 picture in pictures to show all the nominees.

Just revisiting this post to answer a similar post on the BMD Facebook page. In looking for Ian's video solution above i noticed this comment maybe at the time of posting the d-mon quad had this limitation, but it isn't that way anymore. Prob. a firmware updated in the last few months that changed this. As all 4 sources are now fully scalable and can be placed anywhere onscreen, including being overlapped.

A.

Daniel Binder

PostFri May 11, 2018 10:30 am

Hi Andrew,

Are you positive about this? I can't find a newer firmware than 1.0 for the DMON QUAD and overlapping so far only works for source 1. As in, the other three source can overlap source 1 but not each other. Am I missing something?

The bigger issue with the DMON QUAD is, that it can't crop the sources in any way (so you're pretty much stuck with the full 16:9 image in various sizes. Some clever overlapping/framing might help for some scenarios, but not all.

Cheers,
Daniel

Xtreemtec

PostFri May 11, 2018 11:07 am

Don't get things mixed up.. You have a DMON-Quad, DMON-4S, Decimator Quad and the MD-Quad.. They all do Quad multiview.. But there are some difference of what it can do on other options.. ;)

Daniel Binder

PostFri May 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Don't get things mixed up.. You have a DMON-Quad, DMON-4S, Decimator Quad and the MD-Quad.. They all do Quad multiview.. But there are some difference of what it can do on other options.. ;)

Thanks for the insight... I somehow assumed the functionality in this regard would be similar.
I do have the DMON-Quad (the newest one), which can't do cropping and only overlap to source 1.

Would you know if the DMON-4S or any of the other ones could do one of the following?
1.) Take a 16:9 signal as one source (with a pillarboxed 4:3 inside) and crop the black bars off into a 4:3?
Usecase would be a proper way to create a supersource with 4:3 PowerPoint presentations grabbed off the presenters laptop with a decimator MD-HX
2.) Can any of those crop a 16:9 source into a square or any other format?

Basically I am trying to create something similar to the screenshots in the original post of this thread, but with the extra problem, that the presentations are 4:3, but coming in as a 16:9 pillarbox signal.

Can any of the decimators do that or is a 2M/E really the only way :)

Thanks for any input.
Cheers,
Daniel

Andrew Martin

PostFri May 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Daniel Binder wrote:Hi Andrew,

Are you positive about this? I can't find a newer firmware than 1.0 for the DMON QUAD and overlapping so far only works for source 1. As in, the other three source can overlap source 1 but not each other. Am I missing something?

The bigger issue with the DMON QUAD is, that it can't crop the sources in any way (so you're pretty much stuck with the full 16:9 image in various sizes. Some clever overlapping/framing might help for some scenarios, but not all.

Cheers,
Daniel

Yep, Def. the d-mon quad.
Bought one recently for another project and surprised to learn this one scales, crops overlayed etc. Bought it on premise of sale or return but the sales guy said it would and it does. I'll try to check in on the firmware it's running. Maybe it's not a firmware update that's available currently to existing owners...I just assumed that it would be
we've been using the 6s on other projects so when the guy told me I can save $$$ using a 4 I was happy to try it out.

Daniel Binder

PostSun May 13, 2018 9:34 am

Hi Andrew,

Can you confirm that your Dmon Quad can do the following:

1.) Overlap sources other than source 1 (i.E. 2 over 3 or 4 over 3 - not just 2 over 1, or 3 over 1).
2.) Actual cropping of sources without distortions. i.E. creating a square that scales/crops a 16:9 source into a square without distortion. Because mine can create a square target, but the aspect ratio settings only allow me pillarbox/letterbox or FILL (which basically squeezes or stretches the whole 16:9 into the square).

Thanks and best regards,

Daniel

Andrew Martin

PostSun May 13, 2018 12:45 pm

Daniel Binder wrote:Hi Andrew,

Can you confirm that your Dmon Quad can do the following:

1.) Overlap sources other than source 1 (i.E. 2 over 3 or 4 over 3 - not just 2 over 1, or 3 over 1).
2.) Actual cropping of sources without distortions. i.E. creating a square that scales/crops a 16:9 source into a square without distortion. Because mine can create a square target, but the aspect ratio settings only allow me pillarbox/letterbox or FILL (which basically squeezes or stretches the whole 16:9 into the square).

Thanks and best regards,

Daniel

1. Yes. I can overlay any source image over any other source image.

2. Changing the aspect ratio squeezes everything up in a square 4:3 I can also scale to any random size however the image is severely deformed and streached out if I do a 9:16 for example, so that part isn't really useful. I can crop an image where by reducing the 16:9 to give a 4:3 illusion, by pulling in both left and right sides, but it doesn't scale and I lose part of the sceen I've cropped.

A.

Daniel Binder

PostTue May 15, 2018 11:14 am

Hi Andrew,

It does sound like your DMON-Quads are running on a different firmware. Were you able to check the firmware version number by any chance?

Thanks,
Daniel

satnapar

PostWed Jul 25, 2018 10:25 am

After I watched your discussion I decided to go for a Decimator Dmon Quad to use it for the same purpose as you. Picture in picture in background. I confirm unfortunately, no cropping capabilities :(
Do you have any news on this..?

Clinton Vadnais

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Daniel Binder wrote:Would you know if the DMON-4S or any of the other ones could do one of the following?
1.) Take a 16:9 signal as one source (with a pillarboxed 4:3 inside) and crop the black bars off into a 4:3?
Usecase would be a proper way to create a supersource with 4:3 PowerPoint presentations grabbed off the presenters laptop with a decimator MD-HX
2.) Can any of those crop a 16:9 source into a square or any other format?

I'm in the same boat. What did you wind up doing to execute this?

Daniel Binder

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi Clinton,

Could never resolve this with the DMON Quads in a satisfactory way. Eventually we bought an ATEM Broadcast 4 M/E and solved it by using the SuperSource feature from the ATEM (something the 1 M/E unfortunately can't do).

Cheers,

Daniel

Clinton Vadnais

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Daniel Binder wrote:Could never resolve this with the DMON Quads in a satisfactory way. Eventually we bought an ATEM Broadcast 4 M/E and solved it by using the SuperSource feature from the ATEM (something the 1 M/E unfortunately can't do).

Ah! Lucky you. Thanks for the follow up. I think I have a decent plan for this but it's not ideal. Needs further testing. I was hoping to avoid having to run macros but I think it will be inevitable. Need to use the a key to crop and scale both 16:9 and 4:3 PC content to feed into the DMON. Hopefully it will all work once I dial it in.

Kevin Copeland

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 6:36 pm

The macros are easy to record and are a life-saver when needing to recall a complicated set-up. It may take a few tries to get it right. Just remember that the settings for something don't get recorded unless you actually change a button to something. For example, if you wanted a macro to transition to input 2 on the preview bus, and when recording the macro, input 2 was already selected on the preview bus, then select another input, then click back on input 2 and then that selection is recorded in the macro.

Return to Live Production