Red all over footage

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rizkiahmads

Red all over footage

PostTue May 15, 2018 5:10 pm

I buy a used BMCC. Already know some info about this camera. And i know the IR pollution thing. Seeing footage on the internet i never found something like my footage on outdoor. My indoor footage is working normal. But when i shoot outdoor with HOYA VARIABLE ND filter at full 9 stop, my black become white, the footage like black and white or monochromatic. or black color something that has reflection, become white. Is this IR pollution? or my BMCC was bad or broke? is that something normal? or i dont know any setting? firmware is the latest.
Attachments
GE_1.1.1.jpg
My pants is black, my bag is black, why the result is white?
GE_1.1.1.jpg (139.28 KiB) Viewed 986 times

Howard Roll

Re: Red all over footage

PostTue May 15, 2018 10:39 pm

The used camera you purchased probably has no IR filter. Google IR photography and you'll see what I'm on about. Maybe it less insidious and the 9 stopper is blocking so much visible light that only the IR is popping. If it's fine indoors that would probably be the case.

Good Luck

rizkiahmads

PostTue May 15, 2018 10:58 pm

So.... Is it normal on bmcc? or there is a bmcc version with "good" IR filter?
Can i fix this with stacking UV / IR CUT to my ND's? i know there is an IRND filter but in my country is not wide available. So, my only option to buy IR CUT, especially from B+W brand.

Ryan Payne

PostWed May 16, 2018 12:48 am

Normal for bmcc under that much ND. Variable ND filters also degrade the image further especially at larger ND.

You only need enough ND to protect the highlights you wish to keep. On my micro I'm finding even a 6 stops of reduction it's a bit too much, I can't imagine 9 but you may very well be in extreme sunlight.

In any case an IR cut filter will fix the issue if without the nd the image quality is fine. I'd say this issue is a combination of using too much variable ND filter and IR pollution.

Uli Plank

PostWed May 16, 2018 12:50 am

Yes, your ND is letting IR pass, that's a problem for all BM cameras other than the UM46P (which has it's own NDs). Just add an IR cut filter and you should be fine. UV cut doesn't matter much, since silicon doesn't see much UV anyway.

Are you from Indonesia?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rizkiahmads

PostWed May 16, 2018 2:39 am

Uli Plank wrote:Yes, your ND is letting IR pass, that's a problem for all BM cameras other than the UM46P (which has it's own NDs). Just add an IR cut filter and you should be fine. UV cut doesn't matter much, since silicon doesn't see much UV anyway.

Are you from Indonesia?

Ok thanks!
Yes, i am, sorry for my english. Are you? Little help please to find offline/online store for IR Cut filter / IRND.

rizkiahmads

PostWed May 16, 2018 2:39 am

Ryan Payne wrote:Normal for bmcc under that much ND. Variable ND filters also degrade the image further especially at larger ND.

You only need enough ND to protect the highlights you wish to keep. On my micro I'm finding even a 6 stops of reduction it's a bit too much, I can't imagine 9 but you may very well be in extreme sunlight.

In any case an IR cut filter will fix the issue if without the nd the image quality is fine. I'd say this issue is a combination of using too much variable ND filter and IR pollution.

I knew it... Glad to hear this. Sorry this issue pop up in 2018. I wanted to make sure. Just loving bmcc but little bit paranoid i bought a bad condition of bmcc. Thanks!

Uli Plank

PostWed May 16, 2018 10:49 pm

I'll PM you.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography