New Bloom Review on Blackmagic Micro Four Thirds Cinema Came

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Waldorff

New Bloom Review on Blackmagic Micro Four Thirds Cinema Came

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi,

New Bloom Review on Blackmagic Micro Four Thirds Cinema Camera
http://philipbloom.net/2013/03/29/bmdmft/

--

Philip Bloom repeats the statement that a EF lens on 2.3 crop makes a less fine image than a 1.6 crop lens on 2.3 because only part of the lens is used and therefore flaws + softness is exaggerated.

"I love Canon glass and have a lot of it, but they are designed for way bigger sensors than the small BMD sensor. This resulted in a large 2.3x crop of the image, but worse than that, the only light hitting the BMD sensor was from the centre part of the glass, not the whole thing, meaning the image was compromised straight off because of that."

"it is badly worded by me. i need to tweak that. you are magnifying 2.3x into a lens designed for a sensor which doesn’t do this so you are going to amplify any softness in the lens. The centre of the lens is good…better than the edges but using glass not designed for such a small sensor is never a good idea. Glass optimised like the Lumix and Voigtlanders give better overall performance."

I do not think that is true. All footage I have seen from BMCC EF is the closest to the sharpest stuff that I have ever seen with any camera.
Everything that I read so far indicated basically the contrary: that the center of the lens is the most flawless part of any lens. Therefor on the BMCC EF with 1.6 crop or full frame lenses we do not have any smears or CA on the edges.

And that Voigtlander 0.95 is not sharp before it hits 2.8 (http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/02/2 ... id-babsky/)

But probably it is right. Enlight me.

Cheers

DavidJames

Re: New Bloom Review on Blackmagic Micro Four Thirds Cinema

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 pm

Here is my two bits:

The lenses I use on my BMC I also shoots still with, and millions of other people do to (Canon and Contax). I've cropped my stills beyond the BMC crop and they are still sharp.
thekreative
www.thekreative.com

Rakesh Malik

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 9:14 pm

thekreative wrote:Here is my two bits:

The lenses I use on my BMC I also shoots still with, and millions of other people do to (Canon and Contax). I've cropped my stills beyond the BMC crop and they are still sharp.

Yeah, I have to say that part sounded entirely backward to me. The center of the lens' image circle will be its best part, so the idea that cropping into the center of it would reduce image quality doesn't compute.

A more logical statement would to choose the MFT model if you don't have an existing investment in EF lenses, and choose an EF model if you do. And if you're building your lens kit from scratch FOR the BMCC, it's not worth it to spend the extra money on lenses made to cover a bigger sensor than the BMCC's, because it won't make any difference in the final image.

Dual purpose lenses are another story, of course. Those would need to cover the sensor of your other cameras' sensors also.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Taikonaut

PostMon Apr 01, 2013 7:21 am

Tamerlin wrote:
thekreative wrote:Here is my two bits:

Yeah, I have to say that part sounded entirely backward to me. The center of the lens' image circle will be its best part, so the idea that cropping into the center of it would reduce image quality doesn't compute.

A more logical statement would to choose the MFT model if you don't have an existing investment in EF lenses, and choose an EF model if you do. And if you're building your lens kit from scratch FOR the BMCC, it's not worth it to spend the extra money on lenses made to cover a bigger sensor than the BMCC's, because it won't make any difference in the final image.

Dual purpose lenses are another story, of course. Those would need to cover the sensor of your other cameras' sensors also.

I agree Bloom's opinion sounded backward because the centre of the lens is sharper than the edges. It might be more proper to say MFT lenses gave more character as it brings in more of the lens for the small BMC sensor.
I don't agree that if you own EF lens to choose EF model. Metabones speed booster make more sense for EF lens owner to choose MFT model.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Apr 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Taikonaut wrote:I don't agree that if you own EF lens to choose EF model. Metabones speed booster make more sense for EF lens owner to choose MFT model.

That is a good point. I'd forgotten about the Speedbooster. :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

adamroberts

PostMon Apr 01, 2013 5:42 pm

The Metabones MFT SpeedBooster is not available yet. It will also require power and an electronic interface with the camera to control the aperture on Canon EF lens. The BMCC MFT mount is passive. So no power or electronic interface.

steve connor

PostMon Apr 01, 2013 6:00 pm

I don't care what Bloom says, the images we are getting out our EF BMD are some of the nicest I've seen from any camera.

adamroberts

PostMon Apr 01, 2013 6:25 pm

sconnor wrote:I don't care what Bloom says, the images we are getting out our EF BMD are some of the nicest I've seen from any camera.

Agreed.

I also think its odd he thinks the image will suffer because its using the middle of the glass. The 5DMK3 has 3840px over 24mm. The BMCC has 1366px over 8.88mm.

Basically the same pixel density so its not magnifying the imperfections in the lens.

Taikonaut

PostTue Apr 02, 2013 6:10 am

adamroberts wrote:The Metabones MFT SpeedBooster is not available yet. It will also require power and an electronic interface with the camera to control the aperture on Canon EF lens. The BMCC MFT mount is passive. So no power or electronic interface.

MFT version of SB will be out before most people get their hands on BMC MFT.
Canon EF lens aperture can be set on a Canon body, not an issue that would prevent me from using it on a dumb MFT mount. Bloom need to emphasise that in his review.

MaxEmanuel

PostTue Apr 02, 2013 4:01 pm

sconnor wrote:I don't care what Bloom says, the images we are getting out our EF BMD are some of the nicest I've seen from any camera.

1+ ;)
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany

Matt Pritchard

PostTue Apr 02, 2013 10:02 pm

True enough that the sweet spot of the lens is going to be the center, but if you aren't using expensive glass, it might become a problem. The problem I see with only using the center portion of the lens isn't that you are going to magnify the flaws in the glass, but that you are going to be missing out on the portion of the lens surface that you likely paid the most for. MFT makes more sense to me as there are tons of manual lenses that work natively or can be easily adapted. I already own some mid range EF glass, but I am considering getting the MFT version of this camera in the next year or so and starting a new lens collection for it.

ChrisBarcellos

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 5:28 am

Here is some inexpensive glass for you.

Return to Cinematography