Using pluraleyes to sync files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JesseFrank

Using pluraleyes to sync files

PostTue May 15, 2018 11:04 pm

So, I'm using pluraleyes and I can import my synced timeline into Resolve. But for some reason some of my audio tracks are highlighted red, and they don't make any sound. I have no idea why this happens.

I also can't seem to create a multicam clip unless I use Resolve to line my footage up for me. Once the footage is on the timeline it seems impossible to create a multicam clip.

I have attempted to use Resolve to sync my footage, but it seems to be suited to syncing only one video and one separate audio track. I don't have access to metadata.

Please advise

Uli Plank

Re: Using pluraleyes to sync files

PostWed May 16, 2018 12:46 am

Regarding some of the audio not having sound: what's their sample rate and codec?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

JesseFrank

PostWed May 16, 2018 3:34 am

48khz It was recorded on a Zoom H1 in WAV

Sam Steti

PostWed May 16, 2018 8:10 am

Hey,

I've been writing a bunch of posts about multicam in Resolve, to explain some workflows I used and to exchange about different options, including Plural Eyes that I use too, since I'm into lots of multicam anyway...
So, I read your answer to Uli, I cannot comment on this very audio file issue, especially if you didn't change the path of the audio file. To be continued.

Regarding the sync, I have 2 different workflows which work for sure. Maybe the shortest one would be enough, even if it includes a kind of "trick" to ease the process.
Starting from the exported XML from PE that you imported in Resolve, you have stacked tracks on your TL. Up to one month ago, I re-synced by markers in Resolve by going to the media pool (didn't work in Edit) and putting markers in each file at the same TC that it was on these different files at the same common playback time on the TL in Edit...

The shortest WF I refered to is now to basically make a sort of garbage* multicam file > open in TL > thrash every tracks > paste all stacked tracks from the PE XML imported in Resolve > close. You're done...
[*take any tracks and make a multicam file of them by any means, no need to have real tc or markers references, it's just to create the multicam file - ISO - container]
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

JesseFrank

PostWed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Great thank you for your help

Sam Steti

PostThu May 17, 2018 10:26 am

You're welcome...

This is only a workaround, actually BMD should implement an option allowing this in a handy way, like : "from this TL, make a multicam file with all activated tracks as they are (placements) on the TL" ...
Maybe one day...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Brad Hurley

PostThu May 17, 2018 11:32 am

JesseFrank wrote:So, I'm using pluraleyes and I can import my synced timeline into Resolve. But for some reason some of my audio tracks are highlighted red, and they don't make any sound. I have no idea why this happens.

They've possibly been unlinked (or failed to link properly when imported).

This just happened to me with an audio clip I imported. In my case the original file was in my Dropbox and I linked to it there (silly idea, but this is just a test project I've been working on); the next day the link was broken and the audio clip appeared in red on my Resolve timeline and wouldn't play. Trying to restore the link didn't work; I had to replace the clip entirely (there's a "replace clip" option if you right-click on the offending clip in the media pool). I moved the clip out of Dropbox and into the same directory as my video files, then used the "replace clip" option, and now all is working fine.

This may not be the problem in your case, but you could check to be sure all these clips are stored in the exact same directory that they were in when you imported the timeline, and that nothing has changed in terms of their filenames.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to DaVinci Resolve