What would be the fastest PC for DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G ?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

thomaspontal

What would be the fastest PC for DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G ?

PostWed May 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi,

I want to build the fastest PC as possible (for a price around 4000-5000 euros if possible) to process 4K at 60 fps (and do some mathematical computations on the captured video frames

The capture card would be a DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G and I need to use Windows 10.

So if you have a high-end PC which which is stable with a DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G inside, could you please share the PC configuration you use?

I am thinking about using an Intel Core i9 7980XE Extreme Edition (18 cores, cost: 2000 euros) but I am afraid the fan required to cool it would be very noisy and the goal is to have a user able to work next to the machine for a whole day.

For the CPU, I am also thinking about an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X (16 cores, cost: 800 euros).

For the motherboard, I am thinking about an ASUS motherboard because it seems to me that Blackmagic Design products work great with ASUS motherboard. I know it has been a problem in the past and that some motherboard did not work well with Blackmagic Design products (I had the case myself several years ago with 2 Intel motherboards and Decklink HD captures cards, but maybe it's not a problem any more with the latest drivers, I don't know).

At last, I would have liked to find a Dell machine because I love Dell's products and warranties. I saw this "machine" called "Dell Alienware area-51" but unfortunately it seems there is no room inside to plug a DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G capture card.

So if you have a PC configuration (especially CPU and motherboard) to recommend, I am listening!

Thank you!

Thomas.

Ian Morrish

Re: What would be the fastest PC for DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G

PostWed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Just as important as CPU performance is PCI lanes and socket layout on the motherboard.
The 4K Extreme is PCI Express 8 lane gen 2. Depending on how many graphics cards you want to run (16 lanes each), you need a dedicated 8 (or 16) lane slot that is not shared with any other card (can be shared with another slot so long as no card is n that slot).
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

thomaspontal

Re: What would be the fastest PC for DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G

PostWed May 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Thank you for this remark, Ian. I will check this point.

Return to Software Developers