DaVinci Resolve 15 Fusion workflow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jeff McGuire

DaVinci Resolve 15 Fusion workflow

PostWed May 16, 2018 8:34 pm

I'm a bit confused as to what the proper workflow is for Fusion in DaVinci Resolve 15.

Is there a way to pre-render your comps to an image sequence from Fusion that can be played back in real time during editing. Like say, you export it from Fusion tab to a file repository for that shot. Or am I to suffer through my computer processing complex comp after comp during playback.

If I was doing a show with 50 VFX shots, there is NO WAY my computer would have enough RAM to cache all those shots. In 9.0.2 I have individual shots that take up 50GB of RAM with all the elements in play.

Is there a Fusion "slug" you can place in the timeline and build a shot from that? Saving Fusion projects is weird as the clips need to be present on the timeline in order for the project to load properly. So I'm not really saving a Fusion comp, I'm saving node layouts with media dependencies from the timeline.

This workflow seems bizarre to me.

Uli Plank

Re: DaVinci Resolve 15 Fusion workflow

PostWed May 16, 2018 10:06 pm

You still have the option of Fusion Connect in DR15.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Sam Steti

PostThu May 17, 2018 8:11 am

The ability to still use Fusion Connect is also what I wondered about, because I don't have time to test V15 and have the same concerns at the end of the day. For those you tested, do we have the same smart cache option for a clip on the Edit TL which has ongoing nodes in the Fusion tab ?
Regardless to this question, the Fusion Connect option still available is a good piece of news anyway...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Uli Plank

PostSat May 19, 2018 2:01 am

BTW, it's called VFX Connect now.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Igor Riđanović

PostSat May 19, 2018 6:12 am

The idea is that the the comps are cached on the edit timeline using smart or user caching.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

filmmakeranto

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 3:07 pm

Igor Riđanović wrote:The idea is that the the comps are cached on the edit timeline using smart or user caching.

But the problem is in both modes its not caching fusion clips. Having a tuff time with real-time playback.
Caching the media out node in fusion isn't helping either.

Antony Newman

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 4:10 pm

BM responded in an thread in the past couple of days that FUSION caching is very much a work in progress - and not fully integrated yet in 15b5.

AJ
Resolve Studio : v16.1.2.026
Mac Pro (2013) : Catalina 10.15.3 : 3.0GHz 10-Core/64GB
Dual AMD FirePro D700 6GB
RRX : TB2 (Sonnet Echo Express III-D)
Camera : Monstro VV : 8K R3D : 4K UHD Timeline
Cache : Sys SSD / Clips & PJ : Areca 24TB

filmmakeranto

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Antony Newman wrote:BM responded in an thread in the past couple of days that FUSION caching is very much a work in progress - and not fully integrated yet in 15b5.

AJ

That's comforting news.. Pretty sure they'll get it right this before major release.

Rob Smith

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 8:22 am

I asked a broadly similar question about workflow when the first beta landed and tbh I'm still not much better informed about how things are going to work

At the moment I can only see the promise of what in-Resolve Fusion might bring - the performance problem it causes (through lack of an option to render-out from the Fusion window) means it feels very in-development at the moment

It is comforting to hear that Fusion caching considered a work in progress tho.

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 1:29 pm

Jeff McGuire wrote:Is there a way to pre-render your comps to an image sequence from Fusion that can be played back in real time during editing.

For the time being, and until BMD either provides us a way to export sequences directly from Fusion tab or drastically improve the Fusion clip caching, there is a workaround.

It is not the ideal solution of course, but it works.

All you need to do is basically copy all the Fusion clips you have to a separate timeline and then, in the Deliver page, render them as individual clips. You can even create subfolders for each one of them using the Fusion clip's Source Name, using the '%Source Name' in the file subfolder section as I have done in the following screenshot.

render.png
render.png (31.97 KiB) Viewed 3228 times

Again, as I said, this is not, by any means, an alternative for a proper workflow, but it does the job for now. The main issue with this workaround is it involves a lot of manual labour from the user. You have to do all the copying, rendering, placing the rendered clips in their respective positions on the timeline, and replacing them back with the original clip if you are willing to use them for the final export.

Hope this helps for now.
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

ThatMikeGuy

PostThu May 21, 2020 7:47 pm

Responding to this old thread because it is exactly what I was looking up and wondering. What is the best workflow for editing a project with several Fusion Comps as shots? It sounds like rendering them and then importing as an additional clip is the way to go. There is no "Generate Optimized Media" option for Fusion Clips as far as I can tell. Some clarification on this issue would be good. Right now, I'll rely on rendering "proxies" so to speak and wait to hear if there is a better way.
Thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve