Need to Transfer VHS/Beta SP-Digital Archive

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

MLKrusz1762

Need to Transfer VHS/Beta SP-Digital Archive

PostTue May 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Greetings!
I am an Archivist for a non profit organization. I have well over 500 VHS and Beta SP tapes (1980s-90s) to transfer to the best Archivable quality digital files so we can preserve video for decades to come.
I also need to use some of these for future video projects that are 1080 or higher. These will have interviews and clips from this old VHS footage. Over the years I've learned from trial and error (mostly), so any advice would be great!
I have done a large project converting with the Canopus into Final Cut, but it always looks fuzzy (the VidBox Converter looked much better actually). The Beta quality is better though. The results are OK for Youtube, but not for broadcast quality (most looks old and faded). Will the Teranex 2D
help, or should I send it back? I've read Here I need to get a Time Base Corrector (why didn't Black Magic have this in the unit?) I'm looking at purchasing a
JVC SR-VS30U MINI DV TO VHS TAPE PLAYER/RECORDER (it has TBC)- would this be a good purchase?
This is what I have:
iMac Pro w Version 10.12.6
Final Cut Pro X v 10.4
Canopus ADVC-100
Vid Box Converter
Magnavox HDMI VCR/DVD Recorder ZV427MG9
Sony Compact Player J-30 for Beta
Teranex 2D (just purchased- like new)- ?

I hope I'm going in the right direction!
Thanks!

MLKrusz1762

Re: Need to Transfer VHS/Beta SP-Digital Archive

PostThu May 17, 2018 12:35 pm

I have been reading a lot of past threads, but I'm hoping to get more advice on the equipment I have.

Thanks,

Mitch

JPOwens

PostThu May 17, 2018 4:38 pm

For VHS bump-up and capture, you would be far better off trying to find a professional deck like the JVC BR-S822 series or Sony SVO 1500 or 9600 series.

Several sanity-saving reasons. RS422 control so you can jog the tape around with a high degree of control. S-connections so you can do a better quality Y/C "Component" capture without a composite comb-filter (quality loss). Built-in TBC. Higher-speed rewind/jog/shuttle operations... some skew control... the list goes on.

The Teranex will be just fine, you will be able to feed an S-connection into the frame, but it may take some effort to find or build a Y/C break-out cable. You can also dial in some custom group delay compensation and colour offset. Likely you will want to capture the 4x3 SD in a pillarbox within the standard 1080HD 16x9 frame, so its custom aspect ratio capabilities won't be that big an advantage.

As for capture software... frankly I just did a big archive using BlackMagic's Media Express Utility. Less interference than the old Final Cut Pro Log&Capture for sure... which frankly was a bit of a disaster.

Can't recall at the moment if the Teranex can be used as a capture interface with its Thunderbolt connection... anybody? or will the poster require an input card?

jPo, CSI

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 17, 2018 4:54 pm

Hello JP. Yes, the Thunderbolt connection could be used for capture and playback. Capture will be the converted output of the Teranex.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

MLKrusz1762

PostThu May 17, 2018 8:16 pm

JPOwens wrote:For VHS bump-up and capture, you would be far better off trying to find a professional deck like the JVC BR-S822 series or Sony SVO 1500 or 9600 series.
jPo, CSI

The JVC SR-VS30U is a professional quality unit and has built in TBC. I used one at the local TV station, and seemed to work (but they wouldn't let me sit there all day and use it).

Dougdi

PostFri May 18, 2018 2:03 pm

I’ve used a JVC S9900U with good results along with Shuttle Thunderbolt. The built in TBC takes care of fixing almost all of my old vhs recordings.

Wim Van Schie

PostMon May 21, 2018 10:17 am

The Teranex 2D only has composite and component analogue inputs - unfortunately no S-video input. :(
This unit expects a relatively stable analogue video signal to lock-on. So, a TBC will be required to stabilise the analogue video signal from tape sources.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 6:27 am

I agree with what Wim and Joe say above: you'll drive yourself crazy if you don't use a TBC for 1/2" tapes. Otherwise, the results are often much too unstable for most video cards (all of them, including Blackmagic). Be warned that some TBCs are better than others, and you also need to track the tapes carefully and set the levels as best you can, particularly when the material comes from a lot of different sources.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production