A few questions about the Original Blackmagic URSA

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

lexdoe

PostWed May 16, 2018 12:58 am

Hi. I just recently bought a used URSA v1 (PL Mount) and I had some questions I couldn't find answers for while googling. I'd appreciate any help!

1. Do URSA Mini Accessories work on this camera? I would love to attach the SSD recorder to my URSA but can't find any information on it.
2. What is the highest possible software upgrade for this camera?
3. Is the lens mount easily changeable from PL to EF?

rick.lang

PostWed May 16, 2018 10:20 pm

That last question is a cruel joke, no? Careful or
you may have an accident falling down the stairs in the next day!

Check out the brief thread beginning 4.6K Turret...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Donnell Henry

Re: A few questions about the Original Blackmagic URSA

PostThu May 17, 2018 5:37 am

To answer your questions
1. No the SSD recorder is not compatible at this time. We’re hoping for a software update
2. Software 2.8 is the latest update for the Big URSA
3. No. ( Blackmagic is supposed to be working on a turret upgrade for this cam. I have one myself. You will be able to buy a PL TURRET OR EF TURRET. If they deliver what they promised)
GODS CREATE

robert Hart

PostThu May 17, 2018 11:18 am

There are third-party options for SSD recording. These are an untidy arrangement of awkward SATA cables and dummy CF-Cards. Most are designed for the URSA Mini but a few have the longer cables needed for the big URSA. Some have a tidily integrated arrangement for mounting the unit on the battery space. Others hang wild and free and need the owner to innovate ways to mount them securely.

There is an optically corrected B4-Mount by Blackmagic which fits the 4K URSA Mini and the "big" URSA and works fine in 1920 x 1080 windowed sensor mode. It is different to a later model for the URSA Mini Pro. When unscrewing the allen screws from any of the cameras for the first time to install this mount, be aware that they will be very tight and you might round out the hex holes in the screw heads if you are not careful.

Already answered in replies above.

No. - It can be done if you have design and machining skills to make some substitute parts. However within the front of the PL-Mount turret, it appears there is not enough workspace for a latch pin lens release button to be arranged. In the EF-Mount turret there is a relief in the casting to accommodate a pin release button.

Other mounts can be custom made so long as the lens systems have a flange to focal plane distance of no less than 44mm. The same limitation regarding lens release pins applies. I have made a Nikon F-Mount.

For fitting a PL-Mount on the EF-Mount model, there can be found on eBay, a third-party PL-Mount which replaces the EF-Mount ring after it is removed and uses the EF-Mount screws to fasten to the camera with the same screws. Care needs to be taken not to lose the release button and more importantly, the very small spring which slides onto the rear sector of the release pin.

There is also ample workspace within the throat of the big URSA camera to install a focal reducer (Speedbooster). This requires a custom-built replacement for the anti-reflection cone and support for the focal reducer. The lens mount also has to be moved rearwards 4.2mm for the Metabones "Ultra" speedbooster optical piece, another custom job by persons with design and machining skills.

Uli Plank

PostThu May 17, 2018 10:35 pm

robert Hart wrote:1.
Some have a tidily integrated arrangement for mounting the unit on the battery space.

Maybe something like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cg1pnb1w5ob9 ... e.jpg?dl=0 ?

That guy ( Videotech from Russia, found on Ebay) makes cable length to order and the adapter is 45,- €.

The rest was arranged by ourselves.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

David Hessel

PostThu May 17, 2018 11:21 pm

[quote="Donnell Henry]
3. No. ( Blackmagic is supposed to be working on a turret upgrade for this cam. I have one myself. You will be able to buy a PL TURRET OR EF TURRET. If they deliver what they promised)[/quote]

Which they never will so don't count on it. The Ursa is dead effectively discontinued.
David Hessel

Return to Cinematography