How do I connect a GH4 to the Television Studio Pro 4K?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

emekaa

How do I connect a GH4 to the Television Studio Pro 4K?

PostFri May 18, 2018 3:16 pm

I have 3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 4k cameras and I just bought the BlackMagic ATEM Television Studio Pro 4k switcher. Problem is, I do not know how to connect these cameras to the switcher. My research shows I can use the Atomos H2S or the Blackmagic Design HDMI to SDI Micro Converter on the BlackMagic Production Studio.

My question: What is the best way to connect my Panasonic GH4s to the new Television Studio Pro 4k?

Denny Smith

Re: How do I connect a GH4 to the Television Studio Pro 4K?

PostFri May 18, 2018 4:13 pm

I see only one way to connect the GH4 Cameras, you are going to need a HDMI to SDI Converter for each camera, placed at the camera end, then use a 3/6G SDI cable to connect the cameras to thr ATEM, which only has SDI inputs. You need to use the SDI cables for the run from thr camera to the switcher, because HDMI cable is only good for runs less than 15-feet with a ATEM switcher (it does not like long HDMI cable runs). Good luck
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

emekaa

PostFri May 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Thank you very much for the response, It was very helpful

ThriveProd

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 1:58 am

Hello (New to the forum), I too am trying to connect a GH4 to our BM ATEM 1 M/E Prod Studio 4k with no luck.
I'm using a BM Micro HDMI to SD converter but still get no signal to the switcher. Wondering if there's a camera setting I'm missing. I've connected GoPros using the same converter and it works perfectly.

Any direction is appreciated.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 4:27 am

You'll need to make sure that the video resolution and frame rate that are being output from the camera exactly match the resolution and frame rate that your ATEM is set to. Otherwise the ATEM will not detect the video input.

In the case of the GH4 the HDMI output format is determined by the camera's system frequency setting, the internal recording resolution/frame rate, as well as the HDMI Rec Output settings (in particular the 4K Down Convert setting).

The HDMI to SDI Micro Converter does not accept 4K video signals, so you'll need to make sure that you are not sending 4K video from the camera. Also, if I remember correctly with the GH4, it is a little difficult to get it to output 1080i video since most of the internal recording modes are progressive (although it may be possible if recording AVCHD). And as with a lot of cameras, it will often output a 1080p50/60 signal even when set to record 1080p25/30 internally.

If you can't get the camera to output a video signal that exactly matches the video format that you want to run your ATEM at, then you might need something like a Blackmagic UpDownCross HD converter or Decimator MD-HX to convert the signal.

Return to Live Production