Face refinement - oval object behind subject?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Fielding

Face refinement - oval object behind subject?

PostFri May 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Could anyone please tell me why there is a moving oval object behind my subject after applying facial enhancement? This image is a TIFF export>JPG. It looks the same in the timeline.

Image removed
Attachments
skin-refinement-issue_crop.jpg
skin-refinement-issue_crop.jpg (131.07 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Last edited by David Fielding on Fri May 25, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Fielding
Everything I touch is broken

Uli Plank

Re: Face refinement - oval object behind subject?

PostSat May 19, 2018 2:22 am

Obviously the tracker is not perfect enough to exclude all of your background.
You may need to add a mask (aka qualifier) .
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostSat May 19, 2018 5:26 am

There are cases for which the only solution is completely manual shape creation and rotoscope tracking. The automatic tools like Face Refinement can only go so far. It would be nice if there were some manual "hooks" into Face Refinements, but when I run into something like this, I just go at it manually.

You could in theory create a tracking occlusion mask (which used to be called a "hold-out matte" in the film days), basically confining the correction inside a specific shape. Basically, mask out what you don't want with a power window in the mask mode.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

David Fielding

PostMon May 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for the workarounds. I was trying to avoid masking/tracking, seemingly unnecessary. But, without a better solution...

It's odd that the mask and facial enhance track perfectly. The oval shape tracks along the same movement as the mask, but I have no idea what the oval is for.
David Fielding
Everything I touch is broken

Marc Wielage

PostTue May 22, 2018 4:21 am

I have seen some weird behavior from Face Refinement before. When it works, it's absolutely brilliant and an amazing creation, but man, when it screws up it can be a disaster. I would love some manual "hooks" into it to dive in and move it around when necessary, particularly when the tracking momentarily shuts off and all the processing goes away.

I'm a huge fan of the eye brightening and eyelight function and use that on a ton of stuff (particularly projects with lighting issues).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Roen Davis

PostTue May 22, 2018 5:29 am

Marc Wielage wrote: I would love some manual "hooks" into it to dive in and move it around when necessary.

+1
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Return to DaVinci Resolve