ISO BMD Pocket 4k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Janis Lionel

ISO BMD Pocket 4k

PostWed May 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi there,

does anybody know about the Pocket 4k ISO yet? Its supposed to be dual iso. But what is the base Iso? I'm gonna buy 2 or 3 pricey filters...wanna make sure i get the right ones.

Cheers
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Denny Smith

Re: ISO BMD Pocket 4k

PostWed May 09, 2018 10:36 pm

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72674, this info was given here.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu May 10, 2018 1:01 am

Janis, which brand of filters are you considering?

Are you wanting screw-on filters or rectangular filters for a matte box?

The technology of filters seems to have improved in the last year, so traditional and pricey filters such as Lee Filters may not visibly outperform some of the recent entries in the market. Yes, they may well be a little better, but are they good value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Janis Lionel

PostThu May 10, 2018 11:03 am

@Denny:

Thanks. I checked that threat but it seems that I have overseen it.

@Rick:

I plan to buy the new Formatt Hitech Firecrest Ultras. Those are 100x100mm filters which I will use in combination with a Lee Filter Universal Hood. So basically a cheep and very lightweight mattebox setup holding two filters.

The Firecrest Ultras derive from their cinema line. One of the main reasons I buy them is because they are made of high quality endurable shott glass and the coating is i between the glass. This should make the much more endurable than for instance the Nisi Filters which have the coating outside or a lot of Resin made filters. Also: they are IR protected which i guess will probably be important for the pocket 4k.

I'd rather buy once good and expensive filters than twice or more times somthing good but not long living. Anyhow, I always have an open ear - which "Cheap" 100x100 filter could you recommend?

Cheers
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Mattias Kristiansson

PostSat May 12, 2018 9:49 pm

I have a full set (10 filters (0,3 - 3,0)) 2 mm 100x100 mm Formatt Firecrest. The 2 mm version is a lot cheaper than the 4 mm version, they may not be as durable as the 4 mm version but if you're not running a rental house they will probably outlast you anyway. I have put some thin rubber trim in the edges to make them fit securely in my filter trays.

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun May 13, 2018 11:22 am

Janis Lionel wrote:Hi there,

does anybody know about the Pocket 4k ISO yet? Its supposed to be dual iso. But what is the base Iso? I'm gonna buy 2 or 3 pricey filters...wanna make sure i get the right ones.

Cheers

I’d wait to get the camera first and run some tests before committing to a pricey filter set. On the 4.6K sensor, my Firecrest ND filters don’t block as much IR when compared to a cheap Hoya IR cut paired with SLR Magic Vari ND. It was a bit shocking the first time I noticed the difference and now I’ve got some buyers remorse about paying for that set of Firecrest ND filters. They are still good filters, but the 4.6K sensor is somehow more sensitive to IR than the cutoff curve of the filter.
Every camera sensor is a little bit different. I can’t find the link at the moment, but I remember Art Adams did a great demo test showing that Red and Arri were totally opposite in terms of which IR filters were best for each one.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Mon May 14, 2018 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Mattias Kristiansson

PostSun May 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Many regular ND block visible light but not IR, letting IR take over more and more the stronger the ND is. From what I've read, the Firecrest filters aren't actually IR-blocking filters, what they do is block IR to the same extent as they block visible light. So, if you have an IR problem to begin with, a Firecrest won't fix it, but it won't make the IR problem worse. If you want to block IR completely there's other filters for that, such as Schneider Tru-Cut 680 and Heliopan Digital UV/IR. These are not ND-filters, as they block IR but not visible light. They are great, if not necessary, if you use a lot of tungsten lights.

rick.lang

PostSun May 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Janis, for rectangular ND I use the 4x5.6”
4mm NiSi. They attenuate IR but don’t cut. For screw-on, I use 82mm SLR Magic (still not in stores but coming to B&H Photo). Far from the most expensive but excellent value and high quality. I can’t comment on the others as I don’t use them. Several good options now.

Rick Lang

Janis Lionel

PostSun May 20, 2018 12:04 pm

That's interesting about the Formatt Hitech...

How about the new Lee Filters Proglass IRND? They were launched last year. Anybody tried them in regards of IR?

Cheers
--

rick.lang

PostSun May 20, 2018 2:54 pm

John Brawley has a set of the new Lee Filters. They’re very good at a premium price. The NiSi and SLR Magic are close at a fraction of the price.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm

I got one of the new Lee Filters Proglass IRND filters, did some initial tests, nice filters, seems to have very little color cast, but have not had a chance to do some comparison tests with the NiSi filters.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

carlomacchiavello

PostSun May 20, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm the same idea of Jamie, it's better to wait until pocket4k will be out. Actually we can know (speculate? I not seen an official declaration from bmd) only.that the sensor is the same of gh5s, but we not know if there is cuatomization for bmd, different ir sensibility or other to buy new gear for it.
It's a waste of money and time, especially if you decide (correctly in my opinion) to buy a good nd as you can instead many cheap of them. Wait to exit, from now to commercial final version could be very larger difference.

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

Janis Lionel

PostMon May 21, 2018 5:55 pm

rick.lang wrote:John Brawley has a set of the new Lee Filters. They’re very good at a premium price. The NiSi and SLR Magic are close at a fraction of the price.

I was very close to buying the Nisi - though the outside coating made me hesitate. The Formatt Hitech have no outside coating (everyting in between the glass) which makes the more durable. I think the lee are the same in this regards, though not quite sure. I'd rather spent once a bit more than buying twice
--

rick.lang

ISO BMD Pocket 4k

PostMon May 21, 2018 10:18 pm

That’s not a problem of course as there’s some added reliability. I haven’t scratched my NiSi 4mm filters (yet).

Depending upon your lenses, the 82mm screw-on SLR Magic ND filters may be an option. Each has their own case and they’re easy to handle on the edges so not likely to scratch. Hard to beat $1,000 for 10 very good quality filters.

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography