Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 capture problems

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

TheGodOdino

Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 capture problems

PostWed May 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Dear BM Team,

i recently bought a BM Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 capture card and i'm trying to install and test it without success.

I attached the card to my Pc into one USB 3.0 port and i downloaded from you support site the last software package "Desktop Video 10.9.12".
After installed all the software and restarted my pc i tried to connect first my PS3 to HDMI IN (but i read that with PS3 don't work) and after i tried with one Chromecast and with the second monito output of my pc video card.

In all the cases i tried to modify the parameters from the software Desktop Video Setup and the preferences inside Media Express but i continue to see black screen.

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help
Regards
Alessandro

John Barker

Re: Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 capture problems

PostThu May 10, 2018 7:54 am

My best guess is that you are running into HDCP problems with your input devices. When HDCP is detected the box will not allow you to record the signal.

Do you have a camera of some sort to test out instead? Something where HDCP is not an issue.
John Barker
heretorecord.com

Xtreemtec

PostThu May 10, 2018 9:47 am

First off.. Did you check if your computer is compatible with the USB3 products of BMD. Because there are only a hand full of USB3 chipsets that work with BMD products. ;)

Check for more information:Frequently Asked Questions - Capture, Playbackand Stream >Point 4.03
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

TheGodOdino

PostThu May 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Dear,

thanks for your quick answers,

honestly I did not pay much attention to the requirements before making the purchase believing to have a computer already quite performing for what I had to do but reading the links sent I realize that the requirements are really close.

I understand that my PC even if it has USB 3.0 is not supported, I ask you to confirm indicating the characteristics of my tower PC:

MB: MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING
CPU: Intel core I7-4770k
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX780
RAM: Corsair Vegance Pro DDR3 16Gb
SSD: 1xSamsung 850Evo 500Gb + 1x840Evo 256Gb + 1xWD 1Tb

i have also a notebook but i have not test it yet.

HP OMEN 15-ax012nl
CPU: Intel core I7-6700HQ
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX950M
RAM: DDR4 8Gb
HDD: 1xSSD 128Gb + 1xHHD 1Tb

Hope i can use BM Card
Regards
Alessandro

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Based on the 3 sources you listed in your initial post, two of those could potentially be passing HDCP which will not be detected by our devices. The computer however will most likely be outputting a format that is 1080p60. This is not a format supported by the device. For that complete listing, you can look at the tech spec page.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

sergioferraris

PostThu May 10, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi I have buy today a Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 but don't work well. I have download the last software 10.9.12 and after some time I can have a image but no audio. And the computer some times lost the drivers and I must delete the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 from control panel of windows 10 I unplug end plug the cable and must restart the Pc. The Pc is the same the I use for streaming with no any problem with Blackmagic Web Presenter. How I can resolve this?

TheGodOdino

PostFri May 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Dear all,

My goal is to use BM Intensity USB Card to capture VHS old recordings and move it on on the PC in digital format to store it.
This week is arrived the SCART to COMPONENT adaptor that i had lost. I'm trying now to setup the card and my pc and I managed to take a few more steps. NOW I SEE SOMETHING! :D :D :D

Inside "CM desktop video setup" the software detect correcly the USB Intensity card.
I've selected Component as inputs and i'm just trying differents output resolutions.
Opening Media Express i can see the video and audio signal but the video "flas fast"..... (signal - black- signal - black)
Same thing on the Desktop Video Setup software... Under the IN/OUT icons the test "PAL" is flashing as the video...
I think i'm doing somethink wrong....

P.S. I'm Italian and i think i'm using PAL system. i have to set up something on the card settings? Ok to use PAL resolution but i've see that there is NTSC IRE... what is it?

Thanks for the help
Alessandro

Massimiliano Celindano

PostSun May 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Ciao Alex,

you probably need to get a TBC or a Frame Synchronizer unit in order to obtain a stable signal from the VTR prior to the Intensity. Alternatively, you could get a cheap and used DVD Recorder as passthrough (Panasonic DMR-ES10 or DMR-ES15) that can do the job. P.S.: never mind about NTSC ire settings... it won't have any impact on PAL signal. Buona fortuna!

Peter Benson

PostSun May 20, 2018 11:13 pm

Wow. 'Have not used nor discussed the topic of TBCs (Time-base Correctors) since the old days when VideoToaster was king.
Massimiliano Celindano wrote:Ciao Alex,

you probably need to get a TBC or a Frame Synchronizer unit in order to obtain a stable signal from the VTR prior to the Intensity. Alternatively, you could get a cheap and used DVD Recorder as passthrough (Panasonic DMR-ES10 or DMR-ES15) that can do the job. P.S.: never mind about NTSC ire settings... it won't have any impact on PAL signal. Buona fortuna!

RS 14.3.0.014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win64 8.1 | ASUS ROG G751JL, Intel i7HQ, 24GB, 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD, GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 | Shuttle Pro 2
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Juan Sandoval

PostSat May 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi I have Intensity Shuttle for USB and my Mac is not recognizing it. I already installed the drivers that were included and i downloaded the new ones, but still the computer doesn't recognize it. Does anyone have any advice?

OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

Infinity

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Spoke yesterday with Blackmagic support and it sounds like the Chromecast output format (1080p60) is not compatible with the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (tops out at 1080p30). Even when manually changing the Chromecast output to 1080i50, it still isn’t registering on the Blackmagic Media Express (Record) dashboard.

Eric-Jan

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 9:58 am

I believe there are now multiple people with the same question but all does not comply in different setups,
please make your own forum thread, it becomes a too complicated thread to answer, otherwise.
Also give as much info about your setup as possible this helps (speed) in getting the right answer, and doesn't need to be asked for.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Xtreemtec

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Chromecast almost certain has HDCP on.. So you wont get it to work with Capture hardware due too regulations set by LAW..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started