Ultrastudio HD mini issues

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

James West

Ultrastudio HD mini issues

PostThu May 17, 2018 8:19 am

So I have an ultra studio HD mini for connecting a 2017 iMac to an Atmos Sumo.

I realised it needed a Thunderbolt 3 60 Watt cable for power, so bought one to replace my old cable. I now have a power light that I didn't have before, but the ultrastudio still doesn't show up in Blackmagic Desktop Video setup? I have restarted, switched the little power switch inside the box back and forth, turned the sumo on and off, but still no luck.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

James

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Ultrastudio HD mini issues

PostThu May 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Have you tried the lastest Desktop Video drivers recently uploaded to the support page of our website? This update should help with the detection of the device.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

lotski

PostWed May 23, 2018 9:05 am

Good day. I have bought a new Ultrastudio Mini Recorder but it says all the time No Desktop Video Device Detected.

Both on my Macbook Pro and PC laptop.

help please

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 23, 2018 4:17 pm

lotski wrote:Good day. I have bought a new Ultrastudio Mini Recorder but it says all the time No Desktop Video Device Detected.

Both on my Macbook Pro and PC laptop.

help please
This is a different device than the UltraStudio HD Mini however, you need to confirm that you actually have a Thunderbolt cable and ports. It would also be of some help to others on the forums trying to assist you to provide some additional details about your system and drivers you have installed.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

lotski

PostWed May 23, 2018 7:42 pm

I have a Thunderbolt cable bought from an Apple supplier and installed the newest version of software and drivers. Still the same result.

thanks

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 23, 2018 11:31 pm

With the device connected via Thunderbolt, are you seeing a light on the device itself near the Thunderbolt port? This would indicate the device is receiving power and should be detected by the computer if the Desktop Video drivers were installed correctly.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Peter Benson

PostThu May 24, 2018 1:31 am

lotski wrote:I have a Thunderbolt cable bought from an Apple supplier and installed the newest version of software and drivers. Still the same result.

thanks

3 questions:
1) Is that a bonafide Apple branded cable? If so,
2) What exactly, is it called, on the box it came in?
3) How long is it?

I had purchased two Tripp-Lite branded,
6-foot USB-C male to Thunderbolt 2 male adaptor cable (for use with a nifty Kensington Thuderbolt Hub) but that cable failed to illuminate the MiniMonitor's Operational LED.

Returned the cables and purchased two uber-expensive Apple USB-C (male) to Thunderbolt 2 (female) 4 inch adaptors, and Apple .5-meter Thunderbolt 2 cables (male to male) and, ensuring again, that the latest Desktop Video Setup driver was installed, it worked in a cinch.

RS 14.3.0.014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win64 8.1 | ASUS ROG G751JL, Intel i7HQ, 24GB, 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD, GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 | Shuttle Pro 2
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

lotski

PostThu May 24, 2018 2:33 am

There is no light in the box as if mini recorder is not powered on. I bought a legit Apple Thunderbolt cable 0.5 M (attached photo).

ASUS N552VX, I7 Processor, 12GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit

Asgeir Hustad

PostThu May 24, 2018 9:18 am

Do note that the typical "Thunderbolt" cable that came with the new Macbook Pro's aren't really Thunderbolt - they supply power only. If you've bought a replacement for one of those, it won't work.

I'm using a Belkin Thunderbolt cable that is working fine.

Peter Benson

PostThu May 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Asgeir Hustad wrote:Do note that the typical "Thunderbolt" cable that came with the new Macbook Pro's aren't really Thunderbolt - they supply power only. If you've bought a replacement for one of those, it won't work.

I'm using a Belkin Thunderbolt cable that is working fine.
About those "typical" cables you mention in your valuable tip, Asgeir --

1)...Newest MacBook Pro machines sport a Thunderbolt 3 compatible USB-C port, correct?

2) ...Was the supplied "Thunderbolt" cable you got with your notebook, on the USB-C to USB-C (male to male) form-factor, and believed to be "Thunderbolt 3" cables?

3) ...Which model MacBook Pro do you have?

4) Are you really communicating that Thunderbolt 3 cabling does not convey power down the line -- and that you purchased Belkin Thunderbolt 2 cabling for use instead?

5) That Belkin Thunderbolt cable:
Is it USB-C to USB-C (male to male)?
(If so, that would make it Thunderbolt 3,
I suppose)

5) Forgive me for asking, but what is the specific part number for ordering the perfectly functioning Belkin Thunderbolt cable you now have -- as I might need some here.

I want to believe that the increasingly "shady" Apple, Inc. would not supply a non-Thunderbolt-compliant "Thunderbolt 3" cable with their newest MacBook Pro notebooks -- that's why I'm asking these questions for clarification.

Thank you in advance for every detail you can provide.

Peter

RS 14.3.0.014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win64 8.1 | ASUS ROG G751JL, Intel i7HQ, 24GB, 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD, GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 | Shuttle Pro 2
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Asgeir Hustad

PostFri May 25, 2018 7:33 am

Peter Benson wrote:1)...Newest MacBook Pro machines sport a Thunderbolt 3 compatible USB-C port, correct?

2) ...Was the supplied "Thunderbolt" cable you got with your notebook, on the USB-C to USB-C (male to male) form-factor, and believed to be "Thunderbolt 3" cables?

3) ...Which model MacBook Pro do you have?

4) Are you really communicating that Thunderbolt 3 cabling does not convey power down the line -- and that you purchased Belkin Thunderbolt 2 cabling for use instead?

5) That Belkin Thunderbolt cable:
Is it USB-C to USB-C (male to male)?
(If so, that would make it Thunderbolt 3,
I suppose)

5) Forgive me for asking, but what is the specific part number for ordering the perfectly functioning Belkin Thunderbolt cable you now have -- as I might need some here.

Sorry, that was a bit imprecise in my first reply. The cable that follows the new MBP is just a charging cable, with USB-C in both ends. It will NOT pass Thunderbolt-data, as it isn't really a Thunderbolt cable.

1) Yes. USB-C is just the name of the connector. The actual port is Thunderbolt 3 and USB-3.1.

2) It's a USB-C male-male, but as noted above, it's not a Thunderbolt 3-cable. I just noted that it wouldn't work because I've had complaints from friends that it doesn't work as a Thunderbolt cable, and it's a quick and cheap fix to check :)

3) 2016 Macbook Pro 13", with 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 connectors. Encodes a live stream with about 50-60% CPU usage.

4) No, Thunderbolt 3 cables do pass power - just imprecise wording above.

5) Part number: F2CD081BT1M-BLK

Peter Benson

PostFri May 25, 2018 11:24 am

Oh, Ok thanks for that perfectly-clarifying response, Ageir.

Resolve Studio v14.3...014 | MiniMonitor | DTV Setup v10.9.7 | Win10 x64 | HP Omen 17-an012dx w/Intel i7700HQ, 12GB, 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD, RX580 8GB | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mlii | Contour Shuttle Pro 2

Return to Getting Started