Micro Studio 4k Fujinon ENG Lens

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Brendan Shurilla

Micro Studio 4k Fujinon ENG Lens

PostThu May 24, 2018 1:53 am

Hi guys,

Bought an untested Fujinon A15x8 BEVM lens on ebay, and (bought the squaretrade warranty and talked with the seller regarding refunds if it is broken). Got it in today and mounted on the camera, also purchased the blackmagic B4 adapter cable for the breakout cable, plugged it in and nothing. I get picture, but no servo controls on the handle. Am I missing a cable somewhere, or is this meaning the controller on the lens is bad?

Denny Smith

Re: Micro Studio 4k Fujinon ENG Lens

PostThu May 24, 2018 5:08 am

Which handle is not working with the lens? The B4 breakout cable is to power the zoom, and provide ATEM CCU control of iris and Zoom. You need to power the camera from the external 12vdc connection on the DB15 breakout cable, that is used to connect the B4 lens to camera cable, the Micro Studio battery is not going to power the zoom Servo.

The lens is an early manual focus lens, same as the newer BEVM model, so no remote focus, or push to focus function. That said, this is an analog control lens and is not on the ATEM supported Remote control list which only includes the newer HD digital XA and HA lenses.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brendan Shurilla

PostThu May 24, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks, i do have the camera powered externally. But yeah, pressing the rocker on the lens does nothing. I am going to talk with the seller, explain that it isn't 100% guaranteed to work with my camera, but see his thoughts if we want to try a 12v to hirose adapter or just call it a dead lens.

Brendan Shurilla

PostThu May 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Talked with the seller, and he is willing to do a full refund, which is great, but obviously not what any of us want to do. One last thing I am going to try probably tomorrow night at this point, is to plug the lens into our Panasonic AW-PH350 Head and see if that can move the lens or not, to rule out the camera being the issue without spending money on some 12v adapter or trying to hack some cable together.

I really want the lens to work as I only paid $120 and that included the MFT to B4 mount.. (albeit not an optically correct one, but the lens has a doubler on it)

Xtreemtec

PostThu May 24, 2018 3:22 pm

The Breakout cable is only for Digital lenses.. It does not support the analog lenses... While it should power up.. But only with 12V connected to the camera.. The battery voltage is too low to power the lens..

Check the lens with a normal ENG camera to check if it is oke.. ;)

Be aware that you need to engage the 2x externder to have a full picture.. But on those old lenses the 2x extender will make the picture very very soft..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Baz

PostFri May 25, 2018 1:21 am

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Brendan Shurilla

PostFri May 25, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks Baz, that is really good info, i knew of Skarho's (lol, spelling) but not those. For us, we do not have an ATEM yet, so i was actually preferring that the lens is plugged into our Panasonic PTZ head. I plugged it in to that last night and still did not get anything when I pressed the rocker, so i am definitely going to call it as a dead lens.

I know that the 2x makes everything soft, but we are just a small church, and i do not have $3k to drop on a nice HA and Optically correct adapter. I had the lens on during our last service, and i was able to drop the gain on the camera from +12 to +6, and get a much better zoom. Yes, the image was much softer compared to the pancake hd lens we have been using, but not enough to cause anyone to complain to me. Because the only thing we focus on for the service is the person behind the pulpit the sides are ok to be soft. But that will be the next thing we save up for is the correct adapter.

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostFri May 25, 2018 11:44 am

Hi.
If its the zoom thats not working even when you have it on the Panasonic camera it could be that the zoom is set to manual and not servo. There is a rotating switch on the underside of the lens that is labeled zoom and it should be set to S not M.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Denny Smith

PostFri May 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Good catch Abakan, I forgot about the Servo switch. It has been a while since I last used one of these.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Hutchinson

PostSat May 26, 2018 8:35 am

The other thing to check is some fujinon lenses allow min max zoom positions and if these are set to same position the lens won't move. There is usually a switch on the front of the rocker to turn this off.

markkitus

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 3:36 am

Hi, the problem is not your lens, the problem is with the blackmagic cable which the pin 1 connector of the db9 of the b4 that would have to be connected to the ground is connected to pin 9 of the db15 where the data lanc, the solution since the blackmagic support knows this but does not want to take charge of replacing the bad cables is to make a home adapter
resolve this issue by using the DB9 male to DB9 female pass-through cable with pins 4 and 1 bound together, to be inserted between the B4 connector of the breakout cable and the DB9 to B4 adaptor cable. This allowed us to supply 12v to the lens and it was operational.

Return to Live Production