Multimode Fibre Optic Cable

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Wilkar

Multimode Fibre Optic Cable

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 3:36 am

Hi all,
Can anyone confirm if you can use Multimode Fibre Optic Cable with the BMD Camera Converters?
I have been getting mixed answers,
With thanks,
Will

amgtv

Re: Multimode Fibre Optic Cable

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 1:42 pm

as far as I know- multimode cable will work with short run(patch cable) but you need single mode for longer runs.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Correct, Multimode will work but with a much shorter distance.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Wilkar

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks, will it do a 300m run?
Will

mdwalleman

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 12:14 am

I've tried using both the Atem Camera Converters and the BM Optical to SDI converters on a little over 50 meters of multi-mode fiber... No go. Typical fiber converters made for single-mode fiber uses an actual laser to send the signal. It's too much light power for multi-mode fiber. Converters made for multi-mode fiber uses a lower power LED to send the signal. There are a couple manufacturers who make optical/SDI converters for multi-mode.
Mark D. Walleman

Benjamin Doyle

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 12:29 am

We routinely use multimode fiber up to 100M on our camera converters without any problems. It's not special/industrial/high-end stuff, just simple cheap multimode LC/LC cable. Works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00551K11C/

Wilkar

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 2:30 am

Thanks everyone,
I will keep you posted next week on a 200m run,
William

Alexis Vanier

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 11:14 pm

I can also confirm the "viable" use of multimode fiber with ATEM Camera Converters and Studio Converters. How long a run you can get away with, I have no idea. (We ended up with multimode through an incorrect order.)

We've also successfully used multimode couplers to join singlemode fibers. Same deal, it's got to induce a fair bit of attenuation... but no idea how much.
Alexis Vanier.

mdwalleman

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 12:22 am

We didn't attenuate. That might have helped in our test. Also, this was attempted on multi-mode that was installed in an arena many years ago. We could make them work using the 3ft multi-mode jumpers between the two units, but not through the arena infrastructure.

We gave up and ran single-mode instead.
Mark D. Walleman

Wilkar

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 1:33 am

Hi All,
Sorry for late reply, but I got a 250m run of multimode cable to work fine
With thanks
Will

Garrett Matney

PostTue Jan 21, 2014 10:49 pm

I purchased these devices to run long distances over a campus infrastructure that is multimode based. Our fiber runs are a little over a mile long and the boxes would not work with the standard singlemode transceiver that comes in the box. We replaced the gbic transceiver with a multimode 1310nm transceiver and the signal is rock solid. I'm not sure this is a recommended practice, but it works perfectly for long multimode runs.

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 am

could you share the brand and model of your MM transceivers?
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Brian Hancock

PostWed Jan 22, 2014 12:33 am

yes def. post some info about what mm transceiver you found worked ... as a side note i'd love to find a wdm gbic transceiver !! any model specs would be nice to know not sure if bmd has posed anything saying what will work and what won't i'm sure its not "recommended" practice ... but still i'm not sure why bmd hasn't offered this as an option the idea of sending signals both directions on 1 fiber is very intriguing ...

Dylan McKenna

PostMon Nov 09, 2015 4:52 pm

So I'm getting from this that I should not try to use the Camera/Studio Converters over existing infrastructure in a school when the fiber i'd be running over is multimode 50/125?

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostMon Nov 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Adding to this, you can do the same thing (swap out the SFP) with CWDM wavelengths if you need to mux a bunch of cameras together. Also works in the Universal Videohub routers themselves.
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

terrenceelew

PostWed Nov 18, 2015 9:51 am

Multi-mode optical fiber is a type of optical fiber mostly used for communication over short distances, such as within a building or on a campus. Typical multimode links have data rates of 10 Mbit/s to 10 Gbit/s over link lengths of up to 600 meters (2000 feet) — more than sufficient for the majority of premises applications.

Multi-mode fibers are described by their core and cladding diameters. Thus, 62.5/125 µm multi-mode fiber has a core size of 62.5 micrometres (µm) and a cladding diameter of 125 µm

terrenceelew

PostSat Nov 28, 2015 5:55 am

Hi
Multimode fiber is optical fiber that is designed to carry multiple light rays or modes concurrently, each at a slightly different reflection angle within the optical fiber core. Multimode fiber transmission is used for relatively short distances because the modes tend to disperse over longer lengths. Image

Scott Ryan

PostSat Nov 05, 2016 2:35 am

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm interested in knowing the MM transceivers you guys are using.

I might be in the same situation. BMD camera converters + infrastructure has existing MM fiber. Although the run is way less than 1000 feet. I'm at ~300 feet. We pulled SDI through the ceiling but made the mistake of using thin cable (Gepco Mini RG59 SDI COAX VDM230) so signal can be spotty. Sometimes it's solid, other times there is flicker. We have these spare camera converters and there's a MM fiber patch so I want to see if that will yield better results.

Gabriel Ng

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 8:18 am

Hi, I'm keen on running my long video transmission (600ft) over fibre and yes, I agree that there hasn't been much material available online in terms of what cable types to use. The general rule is single mode fibres (preferred) with LC connectors.

However, I have come across some one who's willing to let go FTTH drop cables, the kinds used in construction. I am told that these are duplex & single mode, but would there be any difference between these cables and the general fibre optic patch cables?

The series is G657A i think... hard to tell as the bottom of the lines are missing.

Any ideas if these would work?

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 8:08 pm

FTTH cable contains the correct type of singlemode optical fiber for BMD units. If it is already terminated with LC connectors you should be good to go. If it has some other connector type, you can use adapters or short jumpers with differing ends to make your connection happen. If it's bare fiber ends, then you will have to have connectors put on. I suggest fusion splice connectors-and a professional to install them.

The only material pertaining to fiber type for BMD gear you need to know is this...
Singlemode Fiber (9 um core, 125 um cladding)
LC/UPC connector

This is what the SFP modules that BMD ship are designed to work with. That's not to say that multimode fiber WON'T work, you may be lucky and have good performance. However it's not what was designed or intended to work. Any connector other than LC will not fit in the socket, and will have to be adapted.

You would usually choose duplex cable, meaning it has 2 fiber cores. You can also use simplex (1 fiber core) cable and run 2 if you need both connections. There are also cables with more cores, like 6 or 12 and just connect the ones you need, or use multiple devices without having to run separate cables.

Replacing the SFP modules with a MM variant, or a WDM variant (single fiber instead of 2) is definitely possible. If you must use cabling other than intended I would recommend this. I'd look to a vendor such as Thor Fiber, or FS.com, or Fiber Instrument Sales. These guys can hook you up with different parts to accommodate other scenarios than what BMD originally intended. We use parts from all of these vendors with great success, but we do not use MM cable at all as we usually need greater distance than MM can offer (usually around 1500ft max).
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Gabriel Ng

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 7:59 am

Hey there MambaFiber,

Thanks for shedding some light on the possibility of using these cables. :D

The cables are duplex terminated with FC connectors so I'd have to use a jumper cable to complete the termination.
It's an alternative that we're considering as they're used by the country's telco, and it's about 25cents/meter.

The trouble with these cables though are they're really, really tough to roll up again.

MambaFiber.com wrote:FTTH cable contains the correct type of singlemode optical fiber for BMD units. If it is already terminated with LC connectors you should be good to go. If it has some other connector type, you can use adapters or short jumpers with differing ends to make your connection happen. If it's bare fiber ends, then you will have to have connectors put on. I suggest fusion splice connectors-and a professional to install them.

The only material pertaining to fiber type for BMD gear you need to know is this...
Singlemode Fiber (9 um core, 125 um cladding)
LC/UPC connector

This is what the SFP modules that BMD ship are designed to work with. That's not to say that multimode fiber WON'T work, you may be lucky and have good performance. However it's not what was designed or intended to work. Any connector other than LC will not fit in the socket, and will have to be adapted.

You would usually choose duplex cable, meaning it has 2 fiber cores. You can also use simplex (1 fiber core) cable and run 2 if you need both connections. There are also cables with more cores, like 6 or 12 and just connect the ones you need, or use multiple devices without having to run separate cables.

Replacing the SFP modules with a MM variant, or a WDM variant (single fiber instead of 2) is definitely possible. If you must use cabling other than intended I would recommend this. I'd look to a vendor such as Thor Fiber, or FS.com, or Fiber Instrument Sales. These guys can hook you up with different parts to accommodate other scenarios than what BMD originally intended. We use parts from all of these vendors with great success, but we do not use MM cable at all as we usually need greater distance than MM can offer (usually around 1500ft max).

Gabriel Ng

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi all,
Just a quick update after I've gotten all the parts together (fiber connectors, 250m fiber cable run etc) and it works!

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 5:26 pm

that's great news. glad it all worked out.

FTTH cable is hard to reel up because it has 2 fiberglass or metal strength members inside. That's great if you ever need to run it across any kind of foot traffic areas. Do make sure that the ends are firmly secured during setup. You don't want them to spring loose and rip away your adapter cables or camera gear. Also make sure you protect the ends-this is the most fragile part of the cable obviously. Heavy cable sleeve (mesh type sometimes called a pulling sleeve) or some kind of leather pouch is usually installed over the ends long enough to cover the breakout portion. This can help keep the delicate part from getting snagged/pulled/broken during deployment and recovery.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production