I don't get the point of the mini recorder?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

spike

I don't get the point of the mini recorder?

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Can someone please explain to me why you would spend £100 on a glorified Thunderbolt to HDMI converter? I don't understand the point of it? I'm hoping it allows me to do the following....

My issue: -

I have the mini recorder, but when recording onto my iMac I cannot hear the audio but I can see the levels moving... would the monitor allow me to output from media express to another monitor with audio?

Basically would it be possible to monitor video AND audio if I have the mini monitor as well as the mini recorder?

Thanks in advance
BMD products: -
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo
Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: I don't get the point of the mini recorder?

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Traditionally our Media Express software has been used with Blackmagic hardware that has input as well as output and rather than push audio to the system's internal sound card (which could be out of sync with video on screen), the software is set up to look for our hardware to push audio and video out together to an external monitor.

Understandably, the Mini Recorder does not have an "out" only an "in," so this poses an issue with audibly monitoring audio during ingest. Unfortunately a Mini Monitor would not solve the issue as the two devices would register separately and Media Express will only latch on to one at a time.

The Mini Recorder is meant as a solution for those who simply need to capture HDMI or SDI video to their Thunderbolt systems. We do have Thunderbolt solutions for input and output on the same device, such as the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt or the UltraStudio Express.

I can log a request regarding Media Express and the Mini Recorder, but in the current configuration, visual-only monitoring of your audio input during ingest would not be re-configurable. Just to confirm, I've connected one of our Mini Recorders to an iMac and attempted to tweak sound settings in System Preferences. Changing settings here does not have any effect on Media Express output to the internal sound card.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

spike

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 7:08 pm

thanks for the reply, but what kind of person would NOT want to listen to the audio? Wheres the confidence recording in that? Its like saying, oh you dont need to see video, you have a waveform monitor for that.

BTW I did find a 3rd party product that allowed me to hear the audio, but it was out of sync with the video. Is there no way you can update the software to allow for video delay so you could implement video and audio playback that is in sync? Or alternatively do you know of any software that would do this?
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 7:22 pm

I understand where you're coming from, but unfortunately I'm not aware of any third party solutions. I'm happy to put in the feature request to see what we might be able to do.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

spike

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Yes please. In my humble opinion this is probably the most important thing missing from the mini recorder.

Thanks
spike
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Tholi78

PostSun Mar 10, 2013 5:15 pm

I have the same Problem with my Ultrastudio Express!
Now I have a nice small light weight peace of Hardware which can ingest HD SDI in the field only being attached with two cables (Thunderbolt to my Laptop and HDSDI). Unfortunately I can't here what I'm capturing. I can only see there's some kind of audio but are these channels the right ones?
I don't want to plug anything else to the UltraStudio Express like audiomonitors or something like that, cause that's not the idea of having such hardware which will work really quick, without external Power etc.

For me it's hardly to use, without having Audio on my System-Speakers while capturing.

Are there any news regarding this issue?

Regards

spike

PostTue Apr 02, 2013 3:00 pm

yes and update on this feature would be very much appreciated!
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

NigelB

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 8:42 am

Hi,

Is it still the case that it is not possible to monitor audio from the Decklink Mini Recorder when capturing?

Thanks,
Nigel

Return to Post Production