Heavily distorted / overdriven sound with Beta 3 on .mov

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Manuel Geissinger

Heavily distorted / overdriven sound with Beta 3 on .mov

PostWed May 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi there,

I like the Beta 3, it performs much smoother on my system. Overall very pleased.

However we got an issue with importing .mov files from cheaper cameras. The audio track is completely overdriven and distorted, reducing the volume doesn't help. We're unsure where this is coming from and are falling back to separating audio and video beforehand in Studio One.

I'm sorry I can't tell you the exact codec details atm, I'll try to find out and add them.

Thanks,
Manuel.

Manuel Geissinger

Re: Heavily distorted / overdriven sound with Beta 3 on .mov

PostFri May 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Here is some codec info

Uli Plank

PostSat May 26, 2018 9:19 am

Thats a very uncommon sample rate you got there. Try to convert to 48 kHz.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Manuel Geissinger

PostWed May 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Thats a very uncommon sample rate you got there. Try to convert to 48 kHz.

Did you mean to convert it before bringing it into Resolve? I mean that's pretty much what we did but it's not a perfect solution.

I know, Resolve is used for top-notch movies and shows, but there's also a very broad range of customers that need to get work done on the material they bring to us - which ranges from smartphone cameras over "Nikon Coolpix" to bridge cameras. These "small fish" are important for us and it would be great to have at least some kind of support within Resolve Studio. We're looking pretty stupid when a video/audio that just played fine in Windows Media Player starts to sound like combining a cat and a circular saw in our professional editing software.

Anyway, I just came here to say that the guy didn't return yet, so there's still no material I could provide.

Return to DaVinci Resolve