Worried about my SD card

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

David Dearing

Worried about my SD card

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 2:37 pm

I just got my used BMPCC yesterday. I updated my firmware to 2.1, so it has the in camera format option. I put in a brand new SanDisk 256gb Extreme Pro SD card in it, which is on the list of approved cards, but I get a "no disk" message and the format card option is grayed out.

Edit: I formatted the card exFAT with my Windows 10 computer, the computer says it's good, but the camera still says "no card" and the format is grayed out..

What should I do?? Thanks!
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Worried about my SD card

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 5:30 pm

Can you confirm it is the Extreme Pro. 95 MB/sec SDXC UHS-I that is listed in the manual? Also, did you purchase this directly from SanDisk or via another reseller?
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

David Dearing

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 7:28 pm

I bought it from Amazon. But it was only $79, and Amazon said it was a "new supplier". I did a speed test and it reads at about 15 mbps and writes at 12 mbps. I'm thinking that it's a scam. :(
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 8:16 pm

There have been cases in the past that other users reported differences in the exact same model card not working with their cameras. Look into a local retail shop to see if they have the same model and compare the markings/labels to see if this was the case for you.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Since you got it through Amazon, notify them and ask for a refund. This is why I always get my cards from a known dealer, like Adorama or B&H, or a good local photo dealer.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Dearing

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Will do. I was looking at a photo of one on Best Buy's website and the label is slightly different. I'm going to drive over there and have a look. Very disappointing. First time I've had any trouble with Amazon..

Which one of these should I buy? Mine looks like the second photo. It doesn't have the "V30" - AND it's 256gb instead of 128..

David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 1:09 am

Either one should work for a “real”SanDisk SD card, I have used the 128GB and had good luck with them on the Micro and Pocket cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Dearing

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 1:39 am

Update, I went to Best Buy and got a 32GB extreme pro basically just to make sure the camera isn't screwed up. It works perfectly. The card has its own case as well, which my 256GB card did not. I think I definitely bought a knockoff copy. I guess it's return to Amazon time...

I then set the camera to RAW and laughed... 9 minutes...
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Denny Smith

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 2:18 am

Good, yes the real card comes with a wee plastic like case for it.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:12 pm

256gb for $79 is waaaaaaaay too cheap... A buddy of mine also thoughed he bought real cheap cards with ultra extreme pro.. Ending up a closer inspection there was Sansnot instead of SanDisk written on it.. :lol: :lol: It looked the same
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Dearing

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 2:21 am

Yeah, I should have known better- it was a new vendor and it was on "special". The vendor is still on Amazon, now advertising $125, which is pretty much the same as everyone else. Returning the card tomorrow.

Attached is a photo of two cards. The 32GB card is the one I purchased from Best Buy, and works just fine in the BMPCC. The 256GB card is the suspected userper. I noticed several things, most obvious is the yellow lock slider instead of grey. The case isn't smooth like the real one. The label is quite a bit brighter as well. The card itself has a rough texture that the genuine one does not. Now, the 32GB is the V30 card, which may me different than the genuine 256GB SDXC, I don't know.

Anyway, I've reformatted the 256GB card four times now, spoke with SanDisk, and I'm now convinced this is a fake. If you were using this on your old digital camera that shoots HD compressed, you'd probably never notice. It now reads around 15mb/s, and writes about 12mb/s. With the NTFS format it reads about twice that fast and writes around 30 bp/s...
Attachments
20180603_210908.jpg
20180603_210908.jpg (817.98 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Denny Smith

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 5:58 pm

I just checked my 256GB SanDisk card, and it looks different from the one above, all my SanDisk cards have a grey slider for the write protection, and fairly smooth cases, and the labels fill card label area. Time to send that counterfeit card back.... ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Dearing

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Thank you for checking. I've sent it back to Amazon for a refund.
David Dearing
DJI Mavic Pro
BMPCC w/12-35mm Lumix HD

Return to Getting Started