how to backup a project

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Leonardo

how to backup a project

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:22 am

Hello there!
Does anybody know how to make a backup of a project? I am using an PC (windows 7, 64bit) - help would be awesome!!!
Best regards,
Heinrich

JPOwens

Re: how to backup a project

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Two orthodox approaches are to backup the database and to export the project itself as a .drp.

jPo, CSI

Nelson Villamil

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi

Absolutely agree with Joe

Easy to do 2 BackUps.

-Copy direct from full/complete DATABASE ( using Robocopy, for orthodox technicians like me)

AND

- Export the project (or projects.) To save the .drp file(s)

Brad Hurley

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Also, in case you're having trouble figuring out where to find the database and how to back it up: see the Resolve manual for instructions. You can access the database from the project manager in Resolve; the database management tool has changed locations in the past couple of versions, but in version 15 there's a one-click backup and a one-click restore utility, which makes it very handy.

Click the little "home" icon on the bottom right of your screen when you're in a project in Resolve to open up the Project Manager. In version 15, click the little icon to the left of the word "Projects" in the top left of the Project Manager, which will open up the databases window. From there you can choose a database and back it up or restore a database using the icons (hover over them for tooltips).
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 am

You can also create an archive, which exports the DRP along with all of the source media for the project. Me personally, if I want to be particularly careful on a project, I'll export all the Gallery stills for each timeline (including a DPX still and DRX file), plus an XML for each timeline. Worst case, I can rebuild the project even if the DRP becomes corrupt (which is extraordinarily rare).

I also export a DRP every day on long-running projects, like a feature spread out over several weeks. Even for a TV episode done in a couple of days, I'll still export a DRP "just in case." Resolve 15 now has several additional automatic backup modes that make this process very easy and simple.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Severin Schultze

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 6:01 am

Hi guys,

I'm working on a feature doing rushes on set and had to migrate from one machine to another due to custom issues traveling different countries. I did a .drp export with LUTs and Stills within the project db window - not the file menu. Everything exported just fine - at least I was under the assumption. Once I opened the project on the second machine I'm having two issues. First would be a "Missing Look Up Table" alert. This will pop up like 25 times each referring to different ARRI clips in different timelines. I'm not using any LUTs at all - just using Resolves feature to apply ARRIs Look & CDL values. Once I got rid of the alerts it seems to be working just fine. But I don't see the stills - instead it's just black frames. Whats that about?

Both nMP's 8core - the one I'm migrating from is on Sierra running DR14.3 - the one I'm migrating to is on El Capitane and 14.3 as well.. Is there any workaround? I'm not able to reach the "old" machine for now and need
to match the rushes we're shooting upcoming week to the once we already did..

Any help greatly appreciated!
.digital imaging technician & digital intermediate engineer

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 am

Stills come from the Gallery/Cache drive, which is the first drive shown in your I/O options in the Prefs. If you have moved the Cache drive and are using a different machine, then those stills are gone. If they look identical to the ones in the project. you could just delete the blank ones and recapture them again from the current timeline. Otherwise, next time use an external drive for the Gallery/Cache drive and take that along with you.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Severin Schultze

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 9:26 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Stills come from the Gallery/Cache drive, which is the first drive shown in your I/O options in the Prefs. If you have moved the Cache drive and are using a different machine, then those stills are gone. If they look identical to the ones in the project. you could just delete the blank ones and recapture them again from the current timeline. Otherwise, next time use an external drive for the Gallery/Cache drive and take that along with you.

I thought I can take the stills while exporting the project WITH stills & Luts and import everything into the new db on the 2nd machine. I did that several times before and it worked. On the new machine the paths are customized. Might that be the reason the stills don't show up? I could see the stills in the gallery but couldn't play them (they showed up as black stills). I'm just confused about how DR handles the stills while exporting / importing projects with stills and LUTs.
.digital imaging technician & digital intermediate engineer

Return to Post Production