Imac choices

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Tom.Steele

Imac choices

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi everyone :) look forward to being part of the forum,

Just wondering if I could get some advice, unfortunately just been made redundant (mac operator/litho printer) fun fact used to print the Black Magic Catalogue a few years ago, before our company went under this year changing world I guess.

Managed to get a Go Pro Hero 6 know it's not a black magic but its a start for filming on my classic motorcycles.
Only problem is my own personal mac is ancient now so looking at getting a new one.

Just wondering out of the 2017 imacs are you all using? Tried to get a go on one with some footage in the Mac store but they wouldn't let me try them from my usb.

The Go Pro footage is 4k Hevc.265 60 fps and some 2.7k stuff
Hoping to use Resolve and maybe a bit of Final Cut.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Brad Hurley

Re: Imac choices

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 pm

For Resolve, you should check out the configuration guide:

http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/D ... _Guide.pdf

Note that the guide only lists the iMac Pro, but the old (version 14) configuration guide recommended the top-of-the-line regular iMac with the Radeon Pro 580 GPU with 8GB of VRAM.

Resolve has pretty rigorous system requirements; you can certainly get by with a lesser machine but you'll bump up against its limitations pretty quickly if you'd doing anything beyond basic editing.

Sorry about your job loss! You might be better off sticking with FinalCut if you can't afford an expensive iMac; note that the refurbished models sold by Apple on the Apple Store online are a good deal: usually they are not even used but were returned in unopened boxes or only very lightly used, they go through good QA (sometimes better than the new Macs get) and have a one-year warranty just like a new Mac.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Tom.Steele

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks for the Reply Brad, I was just flicking through the 14 one hadn't seen the 15 version thanks for the reply, yeah its a total gutter tbh been my life since I was a kid so still pretty raw.

Got my eye on the pocket cinema by Blackmagic to further down the line.

Been a bit hard finding info on what will handle the footage I've got real shame mac won't let you try them out properly in the store to compare.

thinking of spending about 1.5 to 2.5 grand max
noticed the difference in GPU's on the Imac's

thought about the macbookpro's to but in some cases work out much more expensive than the imac and less screen space so maybe Imac is the way to go just gotta decide on spec :)

Brad Hurley

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 10:40 pm

Tom.Steele wrote:thought about the macbookpro's to but in some cases work out much more expensive than the imac and less screen space so maybe Imac is the way to go just gotta decide on spec :)

As much as I prefer Resolve over Final Cut, it might be cheaper to get a mid-range iMac and use Final Cut than to spend the money on a Mac that can properly handle Resolve.

The other option if you already have a monitor is to get a refurbished or used 2013 Mac Pro. That's what I ended up doing, although even refurbished it was still pretty expensive. Still, though, if you go with FinalCut you could get a less powerful (and cheaper) Mac Pro and then you can keep your same monitor when it's time to upgrade computers. The integrated monitor is the main drawback to the iMac: when the computer dies, your "monitor" dies with it.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to Off-Topic