First BMCC shoot

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bill Rich

First BMCC shoot

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 2:18 am

A few pics from my first BMCC shoot.. a mini/moto doc on extreme athlete Heather Williams
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: First BMCC shoot

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 2:27 am

Looks like fun, Bill!

Do you have 3M anti-glare film on that naked LCD screen (or an LCD loupe) yet?

See:
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... on-on-you/

ChrisBarcellos

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 2:31 am

That LCD makes a great mirror, alright.

Max Manning

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 2:36 am

Good looks Bill. Will be out in Ridgecrest this weekend filming for Fox Sports presentation of the HDRA 250 Short Circuit race. Covering Bikes and TT's! Going to be a fun one. We just got our BMCC little less than a week ago so very excited to give it a test with some action shots/timelapses.
Max Manning
Action Sports Videographer/Editor
Tempt Media/Media Revere
San Diego, CA

Bill Rich

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 2:46 am

Thanks guys! I do not have anti-glare film on my LCD yet.. I was very lucky that throughout the day it was overcast and there was no problem viewing the LCD (even though it looks very reflective in the picture).. I'm actually in the market for a EVF.. I'm waiting for NAB to see if there are any EVF solutions that are a bit more affordable..

And I'm happy to report that the audio was fantastic with the Rode videomic.. I set the input to 25% and turned the internal mic to zero. I monitoring sound early in the shoot with headphones to make sure the quality was good. I used one of those mini-1/4" adapters that comes with headphones and it worked perfectly!

This is a shoot I'm doing for myself and there is a zero budget. I actually enjoy being my own boss of these shoots.. :)

As you can see on this shoot I was mostly using my Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 lens.. I'm shooting the remainder of the set-up b-roll and interview tomorrow and will be also using my Sigma 30mm F1.4.. I can't wait to get this into edit!
Bill Rich
Los Angeles, California

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 am

EVF or no, for a few bucks a piece of 3M anti-glare film is worthwhile, even if you only use the BMCC's LCD to access the cam's GUI.

Bill Rich

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 2:51 am

You are right Peter.. I do need to pick up some.

thanks Max.. I did a quick test shoot with Heather when I first got my BMCC in raw and found that shooting in 180 degree shutter isn't going to cut it for drive-by shots.. on the actual shoot I used 90 degrees for most of the shots.. and 45 degrees when shooting the quick 'drive-by' shots.. that helps lessen the motion blur..
Bill Rich
Los Angeles, California

Larry Sellers

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 5:16 pm

FYI, anti glare screen protectors for the Kindle Fire are almost the perfect size for the BMCC. Just needs a little trim. These are available pretty much everywhere.

ChrisBarcellos

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 3:30 am

You can get 2 IPad anti glare screen protectors at Big Lots in a packet for $ 5-$10 and cut out about 4 from each sheet, as needed.

I have had the camera out in direct sunlight a couple of times, and even with the hood and anti glare protector, its really tough shooting outdoors. I am working on a loupe with coverage to keep out stray light as much as possible. A couple of picks here, but I am adding a cloth back to go around the loupe too.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/91495532/2013- ... 8.00-2.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/91495532/2013- ... .28.42.jpg

Bernie Ryan

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 7:51 am

Hey bill,

i have the same mic, i tried a 1/4 adapter but get no sound.

What type of adapter did you use, mine has the two black rings same as the mic, so thought it was stereo ??

Also tried different inputs, is there a trick or just a bad adapter ??

thanks

Bernie Ryan
director

Bill Rich

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 11:35 pm

Hi Bernie..
Here's a pic of the adapter
I'm sorry but I'm not sure where I picked it up.. but it works great! I turn off the internal mic and plug the rode videomic into channel one.. set the input to mic.. and set the level to 28% and channel 2 to use the input from channel 1.
Bill Rich
Los Angeles, California

Return to Cinematography