Mini Computer with SDI Output

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kairei

Mini Computer with SDI Output

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 pm

I need to support multiple computer sources (typically with HDMI 2.0 output) into an ATEM with only 12G SDI inputs. As an example, I want to use a small PC like a Mac mini or similar to Skype with people and use that as a source. To operate at the ATEM max of 2160p59.94, I'd need to use Teranex Mini HDMI to SDI converters for each computer source which run $495 each. We might have as many as 8 computer sources so that can get expensive. Rather than buy a mini PC for over $500 and then the converter for $500 I wondered if there is a mini PC that has SDI output directly built in. Anyone aware of anything like that or have better options?

Jack Fairley

Re: Mini Computer with SDI Output

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 6:00 pm

Since SDI does not have any support for copy protection in the standard, I don't think you'll find something that convenient.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Since SDI is a video camera and Broadcast standard, not likely to find a computer that has SDI outputs.
Your other option is to use a ATEM HD which has 4 HDMI inputs to switch yiur HDMI sources and feed thismto one SDI input on the Pro switcher. This would be less for four computers than buying Mini Converters. I sometimes use an old BM Hyperdeck Shuttle (a little larger than a Mini C.) as a HDMI to SDI Converter. A Video Assist would also,work, but again more expensive if you need more than one or two.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Andrew Martin

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 12:19 am

Ok, I'm thinking out aloud here so bear with...

Plugging a 120$ BMD decklink mini monitor card into a pc running OBS.
Using OBS screen grabbing functions to grab the Skype window
could then possibly output through the mini monitor. ( SDI or HDMI out )
( I know vMix will def. output over a BMD card, but their 4k
software comes with a cost )

Or
Newtek's NDI connect software can pull in an NDI source
and play it out through BMD cards, So agn a mini recorder card could output Skype's ndi feed.
( As recently introduced Skype is NDI compatible )

As said just thinking out aloud so you might want to follow up on my ramblings.
but either could be a cheap solution :D

Kairei

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Your other option is to use a ATEM HD which has 4 HDMI inputs to switch yiur HDMI sources and feed thismto one SDI input on the Pro switcher.

This is interesting. Presumably, I could use the program out and the aux and have two simultaneous inputs going to the main switcher. It would be cool if I could somehow route the incoming 4 HDMI to SDI outputs 5 through 8 but I assume that isn't possible (haven't read the manual yet but just seems implausible). Still 4 HDMI in and two SDI out for $995 isn't bad. Might work well for the handful of 1080p59.94 sources, especially since, while I might have 4 of them, I might only use two at a time for any given production. Thanks!

Kairei

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:45 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:Newtek's NDI connect software can pull in an NDI source
and play it out through BMD cards, So agn a mini recorder card could output Skype's ndi feed.

Not too famiilar with NDI but this sounds interesting. Will check it out, thanks.

GallerySienna

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Kairei wrote:I need to support multiple computer sources (typically with HDMI 2.0 output) into an ATEM with only 12G SDI inputs. As an example, I want to use a small PC like a Mac mini or similar to Skype with people and use that as a source. To operate at the ATEM max of 2160p59.94, I'd need to use Teranex Mini HDMI to SDI converters for each computer source which run $495 each. We might have as many as 8 computer sources so that can get expensive. Rather than buy a mini PC for over $500 and then the converter for $500 I wondered if there is a mini PC that has SDI output directly built in. Anyone aware of anything like that or have better options?

Not 100% exactly what you are after - but take a look at Sienna's SDI ScanConverter.

With a BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor and a MacMini you get an SDI output of your desktop, individual windows, and even a selectable Region of Interest.

http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/sdi-scanconverter.html

Grega Podrekar

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 5:57 pm

I know it is not my business but isn't 60p overkill for skype?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Grega Podrekar wrote:I know it is not my business but isn't 60p overkill for skype?

At least according to this page, the maximum resolution and frame rate Skype supports is 1080p at 30fps:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypef ... esolutions

Return to Live Production